Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Borna Rendulic

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
that'd be weird, he's been posting intermittently on our board for years

though now that you mention it, i'm reminded of the time raffi torres supposedly broke his own signing on this board in 2010 (his grammar and spelling were absolutely atrocious)

Last edited:

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Great breakdown

Higgins spot would be PTO in Cal right now... :laugh:

Rodin should replace the "Higgins" spot if there was one that existed. Just to make things easier for forward discussion...

Group of Forwards...

Locks:
Sedin
Sedin
Erikkson
Horvat
Burrows
Sutter
Hansen
Baetschi

That's 8/13 that are slam dunk locks and pretty hard to argue otherwise unless they get traded.

Likely:
Dorsett (contract makes him likely on the team, he has 3ys @ 2.65mil left on his contract...)
Granlund (contract @ 2 years 900k)
Rodin (1 yr @ 1mil but honestly i doubt we bought him over to play in Utica for 1mil... plus he needs to clear waivers)

That makes 11/13 spots likely already claimed

Competing
Etem - has NHL experience, was with the team last year
Gaunce - probably the best forward in Utica last year, former 1st... but doesn't need to clear waivers
Virtanen - doesn't need to clear waivers but he'll likely be given every chance to earn a spot
Zalewski - was great in Utica, didn't look bad in Vancouver
Grenier - As others stated, similar player yet more productive last year and been in system a lot longer
Megna/Chaput - can be C and basically in the same situation as Rendulic

That's basically 8 players competing for 2 spots... i doubt we keep all 8 all that long (since near the end we probably want to start using our real lines leaving only a few spots for competition) and there's little doubt Gaunce, Virtanen, and Etem will all likely stay till the end even if they don't make the team. Zalewski and Grenier likely too given they probably deserve an extended look due to their performance last year in Utica. Rendulic doesn't actually have much "loyalty" factor going for him so unless he actually out performs all of the above (except Megna/Chaput. I expect Rendulic would be cut by the end of SJS game or whenever we start cutting down the roster meaning he'll have upto 4 games (but unlikely to play in all 4). The last 3 games probably should be final cuts/getting the lines ready.

Much appreciate the break-down. This is the stuff that makes me come here.

I see/hope those that aren't subject to waivers going down and Etem to fill the spot unless someone steps up.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Much appreciate the break-down. This is the stuff that makes me come here.

I see those that aren't subject to waivers going down and Etem to fill the spot unless someone steps up.

Of the bunch listed above those not subject to waivers are only Gaunce, Rendulic, and Virtanen. Do you see Jimbo assigning Jake to the Comets? He could, but I don't see it.

Chaput, Megna, Grenier, Zalewski, and Etem would have to pass through waivers to go down. They are not going to be Canucks with the exception of Etem who was traded for to play for the Canucks. I don't see any of the rest of that mix as a player any NHL team wants on their roster at the expense of anyone in their franchise. Thus, they make it through waivers.

Chaput, Rendulic, and Megna were signed to be the experienced players Vancouver failed to acquire for Utica last season. They were not signed to challenge for a spot on the Canucks. An exception would have to pull off a Hutton to change that.

Thus, I see Etem and Virtanen making the Canucks to begin the season. As the season progresses, if either flat out sucks and add Granlund to that duo, they will get a ticket to Utica and someone leading the way in Utica will be the replacement. Don't rule out a trade if neither of #s 12 and 13 can make an impression.

That's 13 forwards, 8 D-men, and 2 goalies. At this point Gaunce is the dark horse. He has to have a very impressive camp to stick because of who would have to be cut for him to remain.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Of the bunch listed above those not subject to waivers are only Gaunce, Rendulic, and Virtanen. Do you see Jimbo assigning Jake to the Comets? He could, but I don't see it.

Chaput, Megna, Grenier, Zalewski, and Etem would have to pass through waivers to go down. They are not going to be Canucks with the exception of Etem who was traded for to play for the Canucks. I don't see any of the rest of that mix as a player any NHL team wants on their roster at the expense of anyone in their franchise. Thus, they make it through waivers.

Chaput, Rendulic, and Megna were signed to be the experienced players Vancouver failed to acquire for Utica last season. They were not signed to challenge for a spot on the Canucks. An exception would have to pull off a Hutton to change that.

Thus, I see Etem and Virtanen making the Canucks to begin the season. As the season progresses, if either flat out sucks and add Granlund to that duo, they will get a ticket to Utica and someone leading the way in Utica will be the replacement. Don't rule out a trade if neither of #s 12 and 13 can make an impression.

That's 13 forwards, 8 D-men, and 2 goalies. At this point Gaunce is the dark horse. He has to have a very impressive camp to stick because of who would have to be cut for him to remain.

I think Virtanen should start in the minors regardless of his camp just to get his game going; He's had his gifted NHL time. Will WD think like this? Probably not.

But yes, I see it the same way, just hoping for different.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Virtanen should start in the minors regardless of his camp just to get his game going; He's had his gifted NHL time. Will WD think like this? Probably not.

But yes, I see it the same way, just hoping for different.

Methinks you'd find Willie in the same camp as you. Kinda blows my mind that folks think he favours Virtanen. I never once got the impression that he was particularly thrilled with all the youth he had to ice last year, Virtanen included.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Can't fault this kid's attitude. His assessment of himself paints a picture of Grenier early in his Utica career. Green worked hard to change those passive moments on every shift. It worked. Grenny has become a more complete player on both ends and could still get better on taking care of business with the puck himself instead of trying to be the playmaker the Comets didn't have last season.

Both are RWs and the scoring on RW below Grenier has always been lacking. Maybe this kid becomes that missing goal scoring from RW. Carcone seems to be in that line as well as a 3rd line RW. Things may finally be looking up on the Comets right side.

This signing intrigues me. Dose anyone have an inside scoop on this beyond the article? Did this guy actually seek out the Comets because of green, I know he has a reputation as a teacher. the comets to man say he is good at it and players do talk. The grapevine among players may be working. TJ Hensick said he was looking forward to playing for green when he arrived and said he had heard only good things about Utica. When the season ended he told the local press he hoped his agent could work something out with Vancouver, bur it didn't happen.

It sounds like green is well known to the players, at least around the AHL, not just to the NHL GMs who are obviously aware by the interviews and press he's getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad