Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Borna Rendulic

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I see him listed as 6'2 on the internet but he looks a lot taller than that in highlights

Does anyone actually know how tall this guy is?

His size and skating reminds me of Trevor Linden

kulenova seka

I see him listed as 6'2 on the internet but he looks a lot taller than that in highlights

Does anyone actually know how tall this guy is?

His size and skating reminds me of Trevor Linden

6'4 ft, 203 lbs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
when he can't even bump out Jack Skille or John Mitchell in Colorado last season

don't expect anything much better than that

He's basically Colorado's Alex Grenier.

A big body who is a 40-50 point AHL player, doesn't play a great three-zone game, but can maybe be a useful callup.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
He's basically Colorado's Alex Grenier.

A big body who is a 40-50 point AHL player, doesn't play a great three-zone game, but can maybe be a useful callup.

Haha dangs.... so is Colorado's Grenier better or Grenier better? Considering on average, Colorado is more skilled than the Canucks...

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
What would Rendulics line mates look like on a top 6 role in Utica?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Borna Rendulic

Spent the summer training in croatia and arrived in Vancouver last week and skeimmaging with nhlers prior to upcoming camp.

Rendulic will surprise a few people with his size , skill and grit.

Slightly better version of Shawn Mathias.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I like his name tbh hope hes another late round gem like tater tot and gaudette

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I like his name tbh hope hes another late round gem like tater tot and gaudette

He's 24 and already has a little bit of NHL experience so he isn't going to be a late round gem. He's a super long shot to make the team... more likely just an extra body at the start of camp. He's really competing for a top 6 role in Utica (personally i think he's more likely to be on the 3rd line in Utica than the top 2 line) and depending on his performance there, he might get a chance later in the season as an injury replacement. If he straight out makes the team, i'll be super shocked.

Also comparing him to Mathias isn't close to being fair. At 24, Mathias was already a NHL regular... that's a lot more than what Rendulic has done (13 total NHL games, 2 points). Not to mention, isn't Rendulic like 6' 200 pounds? Mathias is 6'4, 220-230... they aren't even the same size so are they really comparable? Also i think our biggest issue isn't getting another Mathias... we need scorers, not "physical" forwards who can't score... our biggest problem is getting scoring (from anywhere except the Sedins...). We have a TON of 3rd/4th line players as it is... breaking into that group isn't going to be easy unless you score. As it stands right now, we probably have 15 forwards (more if you want to count Grenier, Chaput, Megna) for likely 13 spots. With probably 9 of those spots already locked and a possibility of us adding a few more forwards before pre-season starts (invitee or signings).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Ok thanks for the info i was clearly mixing him up with someone else. Sorry my bad

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Spent the summer training in croatia and arrived in Vancouver last week and skeimmaging with nhlers prior to upcoming camp.

so a lock for 20g?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've seen a lot of Rendulic. He is about 200lbs, more like 6'3 so he's a bit on the skinny/lanky side. He's definitely not like Matthias. I wouldn't call Rendulic gritty, he's not soft but he fancies himself as a skill guy. Loves to dangle and plays a very flashy style, he's more out of place when asked to play a bottom 6 grinder type game. He has a nice shot, seems like he could put everything together and be a nice top 6 find but it's tough to find the patience to get him there. Sometimes he doesn't know what to do with the puck, won't shoot or holds on to it too long and is an adventure defensively. He's a relatively big guy and will hit but needs to learn to use his body more. There's flashes there so I understand another NHL team wanting to give him a look, it's just tough to know what to do with him. Maybe if he flourishes on an offensive role in the AHL he could get a long look in that role in the NHL. Right now I'd say he needs work to get there. Big personality, outspoken, loves being in North America.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I've seen a lot of Rendulic. He is about 200lbs, more like 6'3 so he's a bit on the skinny/lanky side. He's definitely not like Matthias. I wouldn't call Rendulic gritty, he's not soft but he fancies himself as a skill guy. Loves to dangle and plays a very flashy style, he's more out of place when asked to play a bottom 6 grinder type game. He has a nice shot, seems like he could put everything together and be a nice top 6 find but it's tough to find the patience to get him there. Sometimes he doesn't know what to do with the puck, won't shoot or holds on to it too long and is an adventure defensively. He's a relatively big guy and will hit but needs to learn to use his body more. There's flashes there so I understand another NHL team wanting to give him a look, it's just tough to know what to do with him. Maybe if he flourishes on an offensive role in the AHL he could get a long look in that role in the NHL. Right now I'd say he needs work to get there. Big personality, outspoken, loves being in North America.

You just described Alex Grenier to a T.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015

So another Rick Blight.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

I just did some google search to see how tall he really is...

6.02 (probably wrong/6'2?)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122789

6'2
https://www.nhl.com/player/borna-rendulic-8477916

6'3
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/borna-rendulic/
http://canucksarmy.com/2016/7/1/vancouver-canucks-sign-borna-rendulic

So i guess he's 6'2-6'3 or in that range instead of 6'0. Your opinion matches what i read about him when he was signed. Don't remember seeing him play (so if i watched him play, he didn't stand out) so my opinion is really based on scouting reports/stats.

The main reason i don't see him in the top 6 (in Utica) is because of the players likely ahead of him. Gaunce doesn't need to clear waivers so he'll likely start the season in Utica in a top 6 winger spot (since the team seems to want him to convert to a winger). Grenier is likely a lock for a top 6 role if he clears waivers. Carcone has a 3 year ELC and is basically top 6 or bust type player. He'll likely be given a chance in the top 6 (more so since he's signed long term/part of the long term). If Virtanen is sent down, he'll be a lock too. Chaput was signed basically for Utica as a 1st line C (tho could be 2nd C if Gaunce moves back to C). Megna likely signed to be a 2nd line C. If any of the above actually makes the team, then that means someone else from the NHL team will be sent down and might take that top 6 spot (if they clear). Of course all it takes for Rendulic to be part of the top 6 in Utica is to beat out 1 of the wingers or one of them makes the NHL team and the player they replace gets claimed. So he has a legitimate shot at being a top 6 in Utica. Also i'm sure there will be some who prefer Rendulic over Carcone (at least this coming season) and that's a possibility.

Quite possible im over rating Carcone too but our system really lacks players of his skillset so if we were smart, we probably should try to give him every chance possible to develop in a top 6 role.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You just described Alex Grenier to a T.

Ha-ha-ha! I thought he was! Not sure the Comets can deal with two clones of one another. Travis has had Grenny improving game by game since the kid arrived in Utica. Now he has another challenge to do the same with his play-a-like.

They could be big boosts to the Comets' chances if they can improve at the rate Grenier has over three seasons. There is no comparison to the first year player, the playoff guy in 14-15, and the top point getter last season on an inferior team. Let's face it, if he hadn't paid attention to Green and improved the way he did, he would have finished his first season in the Zoo and never returned.

There is definitely promise in the pair, especially if Chaput and Megna can produce the play making on two lines so badly missing last season on even one line! Then Grenier can just concentrate on becoming a scoring winger since he won't have to pretend he can be a play maker.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Last season for Rendulic was a write off come backing from a broken leg year.towards the end of season he really picked it up and showed a lot of promise (scoring ,grit etc )

I predict he will be a late cut in camp and could potentially thrive in Higgins top 9 spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sounds like this guy at the very least will be a good 'add' for the Comets....looked decent in his AHL stints so far.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Probably a worse version of Matthias

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

Sounds like a Sidney Crosby clone.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Last season for Rendulic was a write off come backing from a broken leg year.towards the end of season he really picked it up and showed a lot of promise (scoring ,grit etc )

I predict he will be a late cut in camp and could potentially thrive in Higgins top 9 spot.

Higgins spot would be PTO in Cal right now... :laugh:

Rodin should replace the "Higgins" spot if there was one that existed. Just to make things easier for forward discussion...

Group of Forwards...

Locks:
Sedin
Sedin
Erikkson
Horvat
Burrows
Sutter
Hansen
Baetschi

That's 8/13 that are slam dunk locks and pretty hard to argue otherwise unless they get traded.

Likely:
Dorsett (contract makes him likely on the team, he has 3ys @ 2.65mil left on his contract...)
Granlund (contract @ 2 years 900k)
Rodin (1 yr @ 1mil but honestly i doubt we bought him over to play in Utica for 1mil... plus he needs to clear waivers)

That makes 11/13 spots likely already claimed

Competing
Etem - has NHL experience, was with the team last year
Gaunce - probably the best forward in Utica last year, former 1st... but doesn't need to clear waivers
Virtanen - doesn't need to clear waivers but he'll likely be given every chance to earn a spot
Zalewski - was great in Utica, didn't look bad in Vancouver
Grenier - As others stated, similar player yet more productive last year and been in system a lot longer
Megna/Chaput - can be C and basically in the same situation as Rendulic

That's basically 8 players competing for 2 spots... i doubt we keep all 8 all that long (since near the end we probably want to start using our real lines leaving only a few spots for competition) and there's little doubt Gaunce, Virtanen, and Etem will all likely stay till the end even if they don't make the team. Zalewski and Grenier likely too given they probably deserve an extended look due to their performance last year in Utica. Rendulic doesn't actually have much "loyalty" factor going for him so unless he actually out performs all of the above (except Megna/Chaput. I expect Rendulic would be cut by the end of SJS game or whenever we start cutting down the roster meaning he'll have upto 4 games (but unlikely to play in all 4). The last 3 games probably should be final cuts/getting the lines ready.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Everyone is cautiously optimistic for this guy, so hopefully that rubs off on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad