GDT: Canucks @ Sens Nov. 12.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Ryan had a very good game. Controlled the play really well on the pp. Karlsson looked a lot more like his old self. Glad to see more shot blocks.

I like that Hammond is very quick to regain his stance after a save. It makes up for allowing a lot of rebounds. It's funny but Hammond more often than not lets the rebounds out 6-10 feet near his net just like last year but many are found by our guys due to the collapsing style they play. Anderson more classically redirects them to the boards but the Sens are too far from the boards so they get boxed in more. It seems that in this case it works best the way Hammond does it even if its unintended and might be considered a flaw by many.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Probably not. Other than Boro (who is worse than the rest of them), the bottom 5 D on this team are equally bad, and shuffling them around has basically no effect.

Before anyone says the team played better this game, they still got outpossessed, outshot, outmuscled, outhustled, and just plain outplayed. Goaltending carried them through, just like it has in basically every other win this season. The team is bad, and Wiercioch isn't the reason. It's a team-wide thing, though I guess he's an easy scapegoat.

We lost 7-5, and Wier was -3. Not a soft minus either, he was directly or partly(largely) responsible for three goals against. Give us Wideman instead, and while he might not be a brick wall in his own end, we probably get at least a point.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nah, not really. The opposite is true though.
zKOy0w0.png

wZujeSq.png

Also: look at the shot disparity on the right side when compared to the left. Especially within a few feet of the net.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
wZujeSq.png

Also: look at the shot disparity on the right side when compared to the left. Especially within a few feet of the net.

:laugh:

For a team that "keeps teams on the perimeter" we sure do entertain a lot of guests in the slot. Our defensive system is probably best described as "welcoming."

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Discuss all you want the iffy Sens attendance this season, the real problem in my mind is the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd the past few home games...

Since when have so few of our fans stood up for goals? Especially in the 100s everyone was sitting on their hands last night. :shakehead

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Discuss all you want the iffy Sens attendance this season, the real problem in my mind is the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd the past few home games...

Since when have so few of our fans stood up for goals? Especially in the 100s everyone was sitting on their hands last night. :shakehead

yo leave them alone.. they had to work the next day. cant be getting too wild.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Oh good, it's the "Every fan needs to act like I do, or they are not real fans" argument.

That's constructive.

OHNOclowe

The Thread Killer
Feb 21, 2009
First game in a while, last time I was there I think Karlsson was 3rd pairing and I wasn't drinking age.

Ryan was playing confidently, I for one thought the 2nd line was moving well and creating chances. Cowen made me a bit nervous.

Was hoping for Pageau to get one on his birthday. He played quite well though. Too many weird passes from Chia.

Overall I think they managed a 50 minute game, was a treat to see both Karlsson and Hammond play with confidence. After 4 years in Guelph I need to get out to more games. Go Sens!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
First game in a while, last time I was there I think Karlsson was 3rd pairing and I wasn't drinking age.

Ryan was playing confidently, I for one thought the 2nd line was moving well and creating chances. Cowen made me a bit nervous.

Was hoping for Pageau to get one on his birthday. He played quite well though. Too many weird passes from Chia.

Overall I think they managed a 50 minute game, was a treat to see both Karlsson and Hammond play with confidence. After 4 years in Guelph I need to get out to more games. Go Sens!
Biggest issue with this team,still hasnt learned to play a full 60 mins .I think when we play we can skate with any team in the league,its those 10 or 15 min stretches .That we just get killed in

OHNOclowe

The Thread Killer
Feb 21, 2009
^^ I thought the worst stretch was in the first 10 minutes, it took a big goal from Ryan and some digging from the 4th line to get a flow going. Some might say the 2nd period was bad but Hammond got them through and that's just another example of the confidence he brings to the crease, he really does have ice in his veins. Hope he gets another start.

I agree though, 60 minutes has not been a thing for the Sens, as a fan sitting there it was apparent that after they made it out of the first 10 without getting completely stomped that there was going to be a lot more give and take throughout the game. Keeping that in mind they were able to keep their feet moving, draw penalties, and after Karl scored I saw one prolonged set up by the nucks for the rest of the game (minus with the extra man/men).

I really thought the PP gave life to the Sens, and at the start of the season I didn't think I'd be saying that.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
even i'm having nightmares of that no pass from chiasson to an open pageau stick with open net.
watching that felt like one of those dreams you can't move your body while being chased.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So......our LD are good at blocking shots and doing the job defensively, and the RD.....well.........
Ceci is our best defensive guy there :laugh:It wasnt pretty last night ,but i think with some practice and some work it could be alright .For me its the speed that was noticeable ,we seemed to be much better at coming out of our zone with it last night

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ceci is our best defensive guy there :laugh:It wasnt pretty last night ,but i think with some practice and some work it could be alright .For me its the speed that was noticeable ,we seemed to be much better at coming out of our zone with it last night

Well, I don't have any stats onhand, but I would guess Erik and Wideman were a bit lax on the defensive side of things.

But yeah, we really need a puck mover on each pairing. I think Boro-Wideman could be a nice 3rd pair once they get used to each other and how to cover the defensive zone together.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well, I don't have any stats onhand, but I would guess Erik and Wideman were a bit lax on the defensive side of things.

But yeah, we really need a puck mover on each pairing. I think Boro-Wideman could be a nice 3rd pair once they get used to each other and how to cover the defensive zone together.
Yep agreed ,there is something to work with at least now .Having 4 big bodied but slower dmen was killing us .It,s a speed game now ,and we had one of the slowest bluelines in the east with Wiercoch in there

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We really need to cut the shots against

To put less stress on the goalies

So they can be fresh to maybe stop one more shot that could potentially go in

Sometimes thats the difference between a win and a loss

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We really need to cut the shots against

To put less stress on the goalies

So they can be fresh to maybe stop one more shot that could potentially go in

Sometimes thats the difference between a win and a loss
This why i think the speed game will help with us, clearing the zone with the puck.We need our forwards to stop doing the one and done in the offensive zone ,doing this should help the shot clock some

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Great effort from the fellas last night, just when all of us firmly had the hand planted on the panic button they show up. Hope this struggle was a bit of a blip on the radar and that we get more consistent moving forward!

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I thought Ceci had a rough game. Well to be fair both Cowen and Ceci did. Maybe they should switch the pairings as the Cowen - Wideman pairing was ok.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hammonds puck playing ability is huge for this teams lack of puck moving on D. Right now he is a better fit for this team in my opinion and should not be understated.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Hammonds puck playing ability is huge for this teams lack of puck moving on D. Right now he is a better fit for this team in my opinion and should not be understated.

The only flaws Hammond has had were the 2 games against MTL in almost 8 months
And I suspect he was tired after the run we had wich is normal
He moves very well from side to side wich prevent the wraparound well
And we all know how the other goaltender has problem with that

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only flaws Hammond has had were the 2 games against MTL in almost 8 months
And I suspect he was tired after the run we had wich is normal
He moves very well from side to side wich prevent the wraparound well
And we all know how the other goaltender has problem with that

Anderson is the better goalie and when this team is playing at an elite level he is the better option. However Anderson really struggles at playing the puck and with the d cores current struggles Hammonds puck playing is a must.

I agree he moves well in is net i like his calm demeanor too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad