GDT: Canucks @ Sens Nov. 12.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Top pair looked great, but we still can't seem to get any sustained pressure without Karlsson on the ice.

We looked ok in our end though with less running around aside from a shift or two, but we need to start winning the battles in their end and get them tired instead of having to defend so much,

At least I think we won a bit more in our end, one of my big problem with Wier is that he loses so many of them and he chases the cycle way too much, when he's pressured he's so weak that he loses the puck. Tonight we didn't chase that much, and once we had the puck we took the hit and moved it quick. Cowen and Wideman made some great passes through center ice and for me it was really great to not bang my head against the wall because of Wier.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Much better effort, but we got lucky too. One post, one shot that Boro saved were the difference. I liked all 4 offensive lines. Wasn't able to concentrate too much though cause gf kept talking to me. :rant: :help: :shakehead :D

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone else think we might have won last game as well with Wideman instead of Wiercioch?

I'm with you on that.

Will DC keep him in... He only had one goal. Yes it was the winning goal but only 1. So
I like they way the D much more than last game.

Wier is 7th

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I missed chunks of tonights game due to distractions at the bar.

I thought the 4th line and in particular Lazar was really good in some of the chunks I saw.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Was very excited to see the win after my own hockey.

Glad Wideman got another goal (thanks for the vid). And what i saw of Karlsson tonight was so refreshing.

Team looked like they at least were fighting for the win. And didn't just flop with the lead too much.

Thank goodness!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Was very excited to see the win after my own hockey.

Glad Wideman got another goal (thanks for the vid). And what i saw of Karlsson tonight was so refreshing.

Team looked like they at least were fighting for the win. And didn't just flop with the lead too much.

Thank goodness!

Yea it was great to see Karlsson doing his end to end rushes again

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Anyone else think we might have won last game as well with Wideman instead of Wiercioch?

Probably not. Other than Boro (who is worse than the rest of them), the bottom 5 D on this team are equally bad, and shuffling them around has basically no effect.

Before anyone says the team played better this game, they still got outpossessed, outshot, outmuscled, outhustled, and just plain outplayed. Goaltending carried them through, just like it has in basically every other win this season. The team is bad, and Wiercioch isn't the reason. It's a team-wide thing, though I guess he's an easy scapegoat.

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Probably not. Other than Boro (who is worse than the rest of them), the bottom 5 D on this team are equally bad, and shuffling them around has basically no effect.

Before anyone says the team played better this game, they still got outpossessed, outshot, outmuscled, outhustled, and just plain outplayed. Goaltending carried them through, just like it has in basically every other win this season. The team is bad, and Wiercioch isn't the reason. It's a team-wide thing, and I find it weird that everyone's singling him out when Cowen, Wier, and Ceci have all been terrible as well. Of the bunch, Boro is probably the worst, but there's definitely not a large gap.

I'll agree that we got badly outplayed in the 2nd period and Hammond got is through that but we did not get outplayed in the first and I didn't watch the third but by the sounds of it; looks like sens did alright in the 3rd.

So I'd say we played better. Maybe not the entire game but far more consistently than many other games.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
For what its worth, at one point during the game, the announcers said that Ottawa was doing a good job of boxing out the Canucks so that most of there shots came from the perimeter. In other words, the Sens didn't really give up many dangerous chances.

Can anyone post a graph of where the shots came from?

Still need to fix the shots against though.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The D was better, although I don't like the way Cowen and Ceci played. I think the better combos would have been Boro - Ceci and Cowen - Wideman.

Also, Prince should be back in. Puempel didn't do much on that line. He just doesn't fit with Zib and Ryan.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
For what its worth, at one point during the game, the announcers said that Ottawa was doing a good job of boxing out the Canucks so that most of there shots came from the perimeter. In other words, the Sens didn't really give up many dangerous chances.

Isn't that our tactic ? Didn't people analyze this last year, and basically attributed the entire Hammond run on the fact that he gives up rebounds right into the slot, and since we always collapse, we get possession a lot of the time.

While Andy, who is a much better goalie technically, kicks his rebounds (when realistically possible) to the corners, where our guys never go, so we end up chasing everyone in our own zone?

I distinctly remember that being a thing and then telling a coworker about it.

It also explained why Hammond sucks in all other leagues but is somehow a god on the Sens (who are too lazy to move out of the slot)

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Nah, not really. The opposite is true though.
zKOy0w0.png

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Yeah.....they really don't seem to care for Elder...or Hamhuis all that much. Remember that, folks, on the trade boards!

Hey now, Edler has played stellar up to last 3 games.

Last 3 games he's been a bit of a tire fire.

Hamhuis really is just carrying his pairing all by himself since we do not have a legit #4 RHD guy. So he has to do a lot of heavy lifting.

--------

Anyway, good game.

I really liked Lazar's game tonight, for a 20 year old to be in the NHL he did a lot of little things right. He blocked a shot created a odd man rush on the PK, drew a penalty I liked his game.

Karlsson also was absolutely stellar and a joy to watch.

Hammond is the real deal, let in a stinker but still made good timely saves from all over the place.

So yeah, good game. And I'm glad this game fanbases weren't insulting each others players like last years GDTs when we played eachother.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Isn't that our tactic ? Didn't people analyze this last year, and basically attributed the entire Hammond run on the fact that he gives up rebounds right into the slot, and since we always collapse, we get possession a lot of the time.

While Andy, who is a much better goalie technically, kicks his rebounds (when realistically possible) to the corners, where our guys never go, so we end up chasing everyone in our own zone?

I distinctly remember that being a thing and then telling a coworker about it.

It also explained why Hammond sucks in all other leagues but is somehow a god on the Sens (who are too lazy to move out of the slot)

During the run the sens also cut back on opposing shot attempts and were out shooting teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad