Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Vasily Podkolzin, D Matt Irwin from Abbotsford

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Disagree with people saying that Joshua is more physical than Podkolzin. In fact Podkolzin has the highest hit rate and turnover rate of any Canuck forward since his recall and it's not really close.

There was a play last night where he blanketed and eliminated Doughty into the end boards for a turnover that highlighted his strength and ability to create turnovers. And he's been doing this a lot. I've been watching him closely and a couple times live in the last run of games. It's a big bonus to have him creating this much forechecking pressure and down low physical presence that will wear down our opponents. Especially if we can get rolling come playoffs

He's not gonna look for fights but he's pretty tough and it shouldn't matter that much anyway as long as he has a pack mentality which he has had no problems being involved in. He's very much a glue guy and even though Joshua is bigger and a bit tougher he's not really running around looking for fights nor should he be or we care as long as he does what he has done which is stick up for the team.

Podkolzin is playing a safe game given the timing of his call up and the way Tocchet wants his bottom 6 (especially 4th line) to be playing as they approach post season. It's definitely not the Oct to January track meet hockey anymore and that should be considered when measuring what would be expected from a productivity standpoint. Low scoring low event hockey as teams stay in races and other top teams prepare for playoffs.

That said Podkolzin struggles navigating through the neutral zone on the rush. His vision creativity stick quickness and deception to be a puck carrier is below average and is where he falters as a offensive player. At this stage i wouldn't expect much to change in that regard other than more maturity dealing with his mistakes which will keep him in the rotation

Trading him for a 3rd round pick while he's young aggressive and cheap would make little sense at this point. You just spent his development stage taking out his confidence issues and he's clearly an affective player who can play up and down the lineup. Whether it's 20pt 4th liner or 30-45pt complimentary top9 is up to him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just re watched the condensed game highlights on NHL.com as i thought he should have had a an assist on the Lafferty goal and 100% he should have. In fact the whole sequence was on him creating 2 turnovers and then getting (with Cole) a loose puck to Lafferty who made that excellent net drive.

He's getting chances and at his shot rate he's gonna start finding the back of the net. Tocchet's a fan because he knows that what he brings in spades is really important in being able to create possession and wear down the opposition. He's an important player for us. Would be great to have both him and Joshua going forward. 2 heavy forwards that have good hands and separate players from the puck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Speaking of Joshua, the Canucks will have some decisions to make up-front once he's healthy. But whatever way they're leaning, I just don't know how you take Podz out of the lineup right now.

Reactions: Sonny A

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

As disappointingly invisible as Aman has been, I think he's definitely in the lineup over PDG, especially since he can play center and they probably prefer Lafferty on the wing.

Lots of potential lineup permutations depending on Lindholm's injury, where he settles in come playoff time, if the 3rd line can recapture their magic, etc.

It's possible both Aman and PDG are out of the lineup if Lindholm plays in the top-6 and Suter is pushed down to 4C (Pod - Suter - Laf).

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't really see what the coaching staff see in aman but i bet they take out lafferty or even suter before him

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's hard to explain, but sometimes coaches just like certain guys. I remember Willie D. couldn't get enough of Jayson Megna; and Green was besotted with Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel.

It's the same for Tocchet with Aman and PDG. Although I agree with other posters. There's no way you can sit Podkolzin right now.

Reactions: B-rock

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It's hard to explain, but sometimes coaches just like certain guys. I remember Willie D. couldn't get enough of Jayson Megna; and Green was besotted with Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel.

It's the same for Tocchet with Aman and PDG. Although I agree with other posters. There's no way you can sit Podkolzin right now.

I think you're underselling how bad ole Willie D was.

If you were a former Medicine Hat Tiger, it didn't matter if you went out there with your skates on the wrong feet and your stick upside down - you got top 6 minutes.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Barging in again but..

I know that you Canucks fans love him, praise his game and all and yes he has shifts within games
where he plays really good hockey in both neutral and defensive zone, (had few of those in tonight's game as well) but even in those two zones, about half the time he plays meh hockey
- doesn't get into plays as often he should, doesn't keep giving all in every shift,
its like he lacks in stamina, at NHL level at least, because pace is faster and the players
are stronger

What comes to the 3rd zone, zero hockey sense in offensive zone, about 85% of the time.
His game at NHL level is just not quick enough, he second guesses, he is late on plays,
the eye test gives many facts.

In tonight's game, probably had just 2 shifts in the entire 3rd period, the game was tied 1-1
most of the 3rd period, Canucks needed a goal, i guess your coaching staff has realized the facts.
- even Arshdeep played more in the 3rd than Podkolzin did

• Wow

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Barging in ..

I know that you Canucks fans love him, praise his game and all and yes he has shifts within games
where he plays really good hockey in both neutral and defensive zone, (had few of those in tonight's game as well) but even in those two zones, about half the time he plays meh hockey
- doesn't get into plays as often he should, doesn't keep giving all in every shift,
its like he lacks in stamina, at NHL level at least, because pace is faster and the players
are stronger

What comes to the 3rd zone, zero hockey sense in offensive zone, about 85% of the time.
His game at NHL level is just not quick enough, he second guesses, he is late on plays,

In tonight's game, probably had just 2 shifts in the entire 3rd period, the game was tied 1-1
most of the 3rd period, Canucks needed a goal, i guess your coaching staff has realized the facts.
Cool bro you really are the Podkolzin whisperer. Without your constant reminders of how his offense lacks for a 10th overall none of us would know about any of his struggles. Now back to the Oilers site where you can tell everyone the same about Yamamoto Holloway and Broberg. And how is top6 Petrov looking?

Your not fooling anyone stop trolling Podkolzin we like him

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Barging in again but..

are stronger

Did he steal your girl?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He's very much a glue guy and even though Joshua is bigger and a bit tougher
Podkolzin.
But Boeser is bigger than both or very close in height and heavier than both, why not him? Hopefully he has been saving himself all year for the playoffs and he has a hidden BEAST MODE.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podz is one punishing forechecker. He's like a kamikaze along the end wall, and he has the kind of game that will pay dividends in the playoffs.

Can't see how they keep him out of the lineup......and he's one young player who would really benefit from the heightened competition in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad