Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Vasily Podkolzin, D Matt Irwin from Abbotsford

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I've moved on mentally from this pick. It's time to face it; we missed on both Boldy and Caulfield.

I'd love to flip him for a 3rd round pick, and if that's what this call-up is, then I'm all for it.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Could be a showcase, could be they're wanting to evaluate him for the post-season, or also with the need to replace the likes of Lafferty / Joshua next year they're needing to know what they have in Podkolzin and if he's ready to step up or if they need to find another player outside the system.

Or all of the above.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
like everyone said. see what he has done in the ahl if theres any improvement to his game or not. could be showcase for a trade too. wouldnt be surprised.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Don't understand this take at all. He has been a very useful middle 6 contributor in Abby. He plays a hard game and has skills that make you think he might be better in the NHL than the AHL just because he can play with guys that know where they are supposed to be.
Agree with this take. He feels like a player that can contribute to our bottom 6, moreso than he could to an AHL top 6.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Myers 'week to week' and Soucy still out, Irwin is just some veteran insurance on the blueline....but Podkolzin is in a different boat.

Wouldn't be a surprise if he gets into a couple of games over the next week. It seems apparent the Canucks are auditioning guys like Karlsson, Bains and now Podkozin to see where they are against NHL competition.

The may need all of them to step up on make the Canucks next season, given the number of players who are impending UFA's.

Reactions: Indiana and nucks88

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don't understand this take at all. He has been a very useful middle 6 contributor in Abby. He plays a hard game and has skills that make you think he might be better in the NHL than the AHL just because he can play with guys that know where they are supposed to be.

He has 1 ES goal in his last 20 games, has been dropped down the Abby lineup to be playing on a line with Zlodeev, and is still making major defensive blunders/turnovers/puck management errors with too much regularity.

He’s taking a ton of low-percentage shots and skating around on the perimeter looking busy but accomplishing nothing. And he isn’t playing a ‘hard game’ at all right now.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I was on the train of leaving Pods in the AHL for the year to let him grow his game against lesser opposition but now that he’s playing with scrubs, it’s probably hurting his development more than helping by forcing him to try and do it all himself. It wouldn’t hurt to put him with actual skilled NHL players and see what he can do there, he does have the skill set to be a good facilitator and that’s probably his role if he does stick in the NHL.

Reactions: Indiana

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's all gonna be about making reads quick enough and making good decisions for Podkolzin.

This team is starved for someone who can be the LW on the Miller line and a winger for Pettersson that has smarts and is highly skilled which Podkolzin is not.

I don't anticipate that he will be smart enough to play with Pettersson long term but the way Suter's game has fallen off and Podkolzin's play style offers a great opportunity to play with Miller/Boeser.

Past success with Garland is a good starting position until Joshua comes back to get acclimated and build his confidence.

Should be interesting. We really need a couple of wingers who can win 1v1 playoff style battles. A confident more mature Podkolzin plus Soucy Joshua could do wonders for this group. It's crazy how ineffective Mikhayev has become. He's basically an easy buy out decision if this persists for the rest of this year.

If Pod can bring in a longer term top6 i would entertain that also

Reactions: Indiana

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Anyone think this could be an audition to showcase Podkolzin for a trade?

Edit - I see it’s been mentioned already, my bad

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see some NHL trade sites are advocating that the Canucks dangle Podkolzin and Raty at the TDL, to acquire some immediate help.

But if that were the case, I'm pretty sure the Canucks would have recalled both guys long before now and showcased them to the league. I'm not sure Podkolzin will even get a game before the TDL on Thursday.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He has 1 ES goal in his last 20 games, has been dropped down the Abby lineup to be playing on a line with Zlodeev, and is still making major defensive blunders/turnovers/puck management errors with too much regularity.

He’s taking a ton of low-percentage shots and skating around on the perimeter looking busy but accomplishing nothing. And he isn’t playing a ‘hard game’ at all right now.
Sounds like he never fully recovered after that brutal concussion

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like he never fully recovered after that brutal concussion

Yeah, I said much the same in the Abbotsford thread recently.

He's skating really well and shooting a lot ... but he's just skating into turnovers on the perimeter and taking a whole bunch of low-percentage shots from the outside. He isn't getting into hard areas and getting greasy points or high-percentage shots on net and he's 1-4-5 at ES in his last 20 games. And you definitely wonder if he's worried about getting concussed again.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Much more hopeful after tonight's game. Not going to get carried away since this player has done decently before and then dropped off, but thought he was at an NHL standard in this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad