Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall F Vasily Podkolzin, D Matt Irwin from Abbotsford

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Excellent performance tonight,
hope he keeps it up.

I haven't yet watched your game vs Ducks, but he didn't record anything
- no points, no sog, no hits, no blocked shots, no take aways, no nothing,
not even a + marker

12 minutes of ice time, or something to that nature

its just difficult to fathom reading stuff like this
what good does it do, to have a player with excellent performance,
if the player actually doesn't perform..

to perform : to accomplish
performance : execute, production

confused quest asking here
How do you define excellent performance?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
not even a + marker

It was quite average in reality. People see what they want to see. I want to see it to but I will wait until it happens. I still remember that first goal against philly...this guy can finish, he can make plays. Its hiding in there somewhere.

Reactions: Indiana

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
not even a + marker

We use plus minus. But only in small sample sizes then projected over 82 games. Anything more then 5 games skews the stats making it inaccurate to tell how good a guy is actually playing.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
not even a + marker

Okay, consider the following circumstances:
- Suffered from a concussion not too long ago
- Being sent down to the ahl due to slump in previous seasons
- Have literally 0 minutes of practice time with the big team to get familiar with linemates & system
- limited ice time and mostly meh zone starts

I'd say he did well above expectations, maybe not "excellent" in terms of performance and stats but the improvement from previous seasons was significant if you watched him play before.
I wouldnt dare challenge your english expertise as an ESL because I'd surely be proven inferior in this facet, therefore I'd like to simply clarify the following,
- by "excellent performance" I meant as subjectively to Vasili's circumstances and his very own development curve. As far as i understand the word can be used in both contexts(subjectively/objectively), and surely yourself as an native english speaker (assumably) should very well be able comprehend the context in my previous comment.

I hope this slight misunderstanding doesnt bother you in your sleep.
Nitpicking someone else's english in an international hockey forum couldnt possibly be healthy for your own good.

Last edited:

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
Okay, consider the following circumstances:
- Suffered from a concussion not too long ago
- Being sent down to the ahl due to slump in previous seasons
- Have literally 0 minutes of practice time with the big team to get familiar with linemates & system
- limited ice time and mostly meh zone starts

I'd say he did well above expectations, maybe not "excellent" in terms of performance and stats but the improvement from previous seasons was significant if you watched him play before.
I wouldnt dare challenge your english expertise as an ESL because I'd surely be proven inferior in this facet, therefore I'd like to simply clarify the following,
- by "excellent performance" I meant as subjectively to Vasili's circumstances and his very own development curve. As far as i understand the word can be used in both contexts(subjectively/objectively), and surely yourself as an native english speaker (assumably) should very well be able comprehend the context in my previous comment.

I hope this slight misunderstanding doesnt bother you in your sleep.
Nitpicking someone else's english in an international hockey forum couldnt possibly be healthy for your own good.
Holy hell, what a reply.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Hoglander and now Podkolzin. Colliton and his staff are doing wonders.

Can’t wait for D-Petey to get to Abby.

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
At this point he has a good chance of being a very premium player
I’m a big fan of Joshua, but let’s face it hes going to cash in and most likely it won’t be with us. Thanks OEL. Next year if Podkolzin can even sniff at or eventually match or exceed Joshua’s production while bringing bite and physicality I would be super jazzed bro.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think Pods, interestingly, is basically the player we drafted. A strong, high motor, two way winger with a pretty low ceiling. Above average passing but no shot to speak of. He’s actually a pretty good bottom six guy, and you can see that he might be pretty valuable bottom six player if he can develop some chemistry with a couple other players (e.g., Bleuger, Joshua and Garland).

I think he’s actually probably worth more to us than as a secondary piece in a trade, so I’d probably keep him.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I think Pods, interestingly, is basically the player we drafted. A strong, high motor, two way winger with a pretty low ceiling. Above average passing but no shot to speak of. He’s actually a pretty good bottom six guy, and you can see that he might be pretty valuable bottom six player if he can develop some chemistry with a couple other players (e.g., Bleuger, Joshua and Garland).

I think he’s actually probably worth more to us than as a secondary piece in a trade, so I’d probably keep him.
He can rip it. Go back and watch his first nhl goal. It’s getting into space that seems to be his challenge.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He can rip it. Go back and watch his first nhl goal. It’s getting into space that seems to be his challenge.
Basically every NHL player can "rip it" and score a nice goal every once and a while. Pods doesn't have a good shot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes a player just looks better in the NHL, than they did in the AHL. And Podkolzin may be one of those guys.

In the AHL I got the sense that sometimes he was trying to do to much--as if to compensate for the guys he was playing with. But in the NHL, in some respects the structure and skill makes it an easier game to play.

One thing Podkolzin has worked on though in his stint in Abbotsford, is his shot, particularly his one-timer. It's a rocket, and he gets it away quick. He's definitely found a home with Lindholm and Garland.

Unless he seriously regresses again, or the Canucks get eliminated early, I doubt he sees Abbotsford again this season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Sometimes a player just looks better in the NHL, than they did in the AHL. And Podkolzin may be one of those guys.

In the AHL I got the sense that sometimes he was trying to do to much--as if to compensate for the guys he was playing with. But in the NHL, in some respects the structure and skill makes it an easier game to play.

One thing Podkolzin has worked on though in his stint in Abbotsford, is his shot, particularly his one-timer. It's a rocket, and he gets it away quick. He's definitely found a home with Lindholm and Garland.

Unless he seriously regresses again, or the Canucks get eliminated early, I doubt he sees Abbotsford again this season.
Be interesting to see where he slots in when Joshua comes back..?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

i think that's mostly accurate aside from his shot. his shot is actually pretty good but he needs higher IQ to get a chance to use it.

Reactions: DiggerDan

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
i think that's mostly accurate aside from his shot. his shot is actually pretty good but he needs higher IQ to get a chance to use it.

But that's like the majority of what having a good shot in the NHL really is. There are next to zero players in the NHL with an actual objectively bad shot. The main separator is having the smarts and ability for that shot to be consistently useful - be it a quick or deceptive release or just knowing how to always find soft areas where you end up with that extra split second. That's why the phenomenon of the practice sniper is a thing.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
But that's like the majority of what having a good shot in the NHL really is. There are next to zero players in the NHL with an actual objectively bad shot. The main separator is having the smarts and ability for that shot to be consistently useful - be it a quick or deceptive release or just knowing how to always find soft areas where you end up with that extra split second. That's why the phenomenon of the practice sniper is a thing.
Looking at his highlights reel, feel like he’s actually not that bad when it comes to IQ. I think confidence is really the thing that is holding him back. You can’t second guess and overthink in the NHL and it seems like last year really destroyed his confidence.

Reactions: alternate

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't really understand the salary cap machinations, but apparently with Podkolzin's recall from Abbotsford, the Canucks are out of AHL callups unless there's an injury emergency.

It's one of the factors in deciding not to sign Kessel, apparently. So although Podkolzin was 'papered down' to the AHL on Friday to preserve his playoff eligibility, he's likely up in Vancouver to stay now. If they actually did send him down, they wouldn't be able to recall him.

I think he put his time in Abbotsford to good use. And he'll be an interesting player to watch on the parent Canucks in the last 17 games or so.

Reactions: Diversification

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad