Rumor: Canucks prospect and U of M Captain Jacob Truscott will be testing free agency- Will not sign with the Canucks

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Higher profile players dont stay in College for 4 years.
I'd say a guy like Adam Fox saying he isn't going to sign was a pretty big deal. Vessey didn't pan as a star, but has stuck in the league for years, that was a pretty high profile one as well.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
It’s a system that essentially destroys the whole purpose of the draft. Every team is given the same 7 draft picks at the start of the year to encourage parity and allow them to build. Allowing players to just ignore the picks used and do as they please just syphon talent down south. I know we are only talking about late round picks and isolated scenarios, but over time that adds up.
Any NHL team who signs the player having to give up the equivalent round of draft pick that was used on the player to the original team I think is a good compromise.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It’s a system that essentially destroys the whole purpose of the draft. Every team is given the same 7 draft picks at the start of the year to encourage parity and allow them to build. Allowing players to just ignore the picks used and do as they please just syphon talent down south. I know we are only talking about late round picks and isolated scenarios, but over time that adds up.
I'd like to see them rejig the system by adding a year to the FA elegibility requirement so they would need to sit out a year of hockey in most cases to get there. You would have to be pretty determined not to sign with a team to go that far.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I'd like to see them rejig the system by adding a year to the FA elegibility requirement so they would need to sit out a year of hockey in most cases to get there. You would have to be pretty determined not to sign with a team to go that far.
I would honestly rather see compensation go back, either create a compensatory pick or have the signing team send a pick back

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Any NHL team who signs the player having to give up the equivalent round of draft pick that was used on the player to the original team I think is a good compromise.

Yeh I’d be fine with that. Without really knowing the CBA implications but that seems fair.

Also a good idea. Atleast make it harder for that player to do.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Abolish the College loop hole already. 5th round pick spent and years of development wasted.
What development is being wasted? They can't sign any contract with a team if they want to keep their amateur status for college, and therefore they cannot join team functions like dev camp (yes there is the 48hour loophole, not getting into that technicality). There is no development by the NHL org happening, they just own the right to sign them eventually.

I don't disagree that the loophole should be closed, and I agree that a commensurate pick as compensation seems fair, but I had to pick the nit.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What development is being wasted? They can't sign any contract with a team if they want to keep their amateur status for college, and therefore they cannot join team functions like dev camp (yes there is the 48hour loophole, not getting into that technicality). There is no development by the NHL org happening, they just own the right to sign them eventually.

I don't disagree that the loophole should be closed, and I agree that a commensurate pick as compensation seems fair, but I had to pick the nit.
I'll admit for these types of prospects its very little development that happens. But just the act of one of the amateur directors calling him and keeping him abreast of his development and what he needs to work on while he's in college is still some form of development.

Reactions: Blueston

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It would be easier to just make college players work like every other college sport, you are drafted when you declare for the draft and are no longer eligible for college status.

No need for compensation or other rules to make up for it.

Reactions: CBJx614

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Truscott himself was at Canucks development camp last summer. As were a number of other returning college players.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Whatever. This is just the ebb and flow of the NCAA system as a feeder to the NHL clubs. Canucks signed some collegiate Free Agents who are probably better prospects that Truscott...and in turn, he looks at his options and decides to become a College FA himself. Pick his own destination. The wheel keeps turning. You've only got so many slots to spend on these guys anyway. As long as you're generally getting more "in" than "out", it's a win on the whole.

It's an issue when it's potential "impact player" top picks or top players opting to exercise the "loophole" to pick their spot, or force their way there. But when it comes to depth prospects with limited upside like this...it often tends to all come out in the wash.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Truscott himself was at Canucks development camp last summer. As were a number of other returning college players.

Yes and those players are required to pay for it out of their own pocket to stay eligible too.

Lost development doesn't really hold water with college players even if I don't like the loophole.

It's even less when you consider the amount of money spent on non college players that never make it out of the AHL.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Canucks have a mediocre prospect pool (18th in the league according to the Athletic) and he thought he'd have trouble cracking the depth chart. Just about all you need to know about the prospect.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So would the Canucks get compensation? a 5th round pick?

Compensation is only given for unsigned first round picks. Only exception I can recall was Boston getting a pick for Ben Clymer (27th overall, 1st pick of 2nd round in 1997), league seemingly made an exception as there were 30 picks in the first round by 2000.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes and those players are required to pay for it out of their own pocket to stay eligible too.

Lost development doesn't really hold water with college players even if I don't like the loophole.

It's even less when you consider the amount of money spent on non college players that never make it out of the AHL.
Yes

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not a great prospect and has no path to the NHL. Best of luck to him

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Canucks probably wanted to free up a contract spot and dumped Jurmo. i.e. Jurmo was negative value or no value.

The point is, no one cares about a nothing prospect.
Jurmo didn’t have a contract so that wouldn’t be the case. Since he was drafted out of Europe, the Canucks/Flames would retain his rights until he was 26/27 so there is some team control there and more runway for him to figure it out, not that I think he will.

I also don’t think that Truscott is a “nothing prospect” although he’s a low ceiling defensive Dman who would likely top out as bottom pairing NHL defender if all goes well.. It’s not nothing to have cheap homegrown guys like that in your organization, especially when we’ve just lost one seemingly long term (Brisbois) and another one (Hirose) has pretty much flopped at the AHL level and is likely a lost cause.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Jurmo didn’t have a contract so that wouldn’t be the case. Since he was drafted out of Europe, the Canucks/Flames would retain his rights until he was 26/27 so there is some team control there and more runway for him to figure it out, not that I think he will.

I also don’t think that Truscott is a “nothing prospect” although he’s a low ceiling defensive Dman who would likely top out as bottom pairing NHL defender if all goes well.. It’s not nothing to have cheap homegrown guys like that in your organization, especially when we’ve just lost one seemingly long term (Brisbois) and another one (Hirose) has pretty much flopped at the AHL level and is likely a lost cause.
Hirose has been injured long term but when healthy he has played quite well in Abby this year. I wouldn't say he has flopped by any means. Agree about Truscott.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Canuck's GM was in Michigan last week trying to sign him so im guessing its Jacob's choice.

Dhaliwal mentioned that perhaps Jacob didnt see a quick path to the Canucks lineup since they drafted and signed a lot of recent Dmen out of the NCAA.
Lol we have defensive depth now 😭😭

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad