Rumor: Canucks prospect and U of M Captain Jacob Truscott will be testing free agency- Will not sign with the Canucks

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Wheeler at The Athletic has Jurmo at 14th on the Flames prospect list.

I dont know if thats because Flames dont have good prospects but Jurmo is not good at all.

He is a D-man that cant play Defence.

He is big and can skate but thats literally about it.

I dont even see him being an AHLer.

He should have transitioned to forward before his draft year.

Canucks had no intention of signing him, which is why it was very surprising to see that he was part of any trade.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He has zero value. I would rather have the contract spot available instead of filling it with Trustcott.
Pretty much this although I wouldn't say zero value but at this point he is just a guy and a project to be a bottom pair tweener guy at 22.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
His value is probably around a 7th, a similar aged prospect under contract, or to a third-party broker for minimal retention. He's a small value add to a team confident they can sign him.

Reactions: UrbanImpact

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Devil's fans will probably have a better scouting report on him, i believe he was Luke Hughes's D partner last season.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I guess that it's the Canucks who doesn't want to sign him... Because he will be foolish to take a big risk like that, with his stats.
Jordan Harris and Jayden Struble had similar NCAA stats and are bonafide NHLers. Struble even looks to be a top 4 dman. McDonagh, going back even further, had similar stats too. I wouldn't read too much into NCAA stats. Especially when Casey is clearly getting the PP minutes on that team.

Not that Truscott is near any of them as a prospect.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Honestly if you're a third/fourth year NCAA player you may as well go the free agent route. Not really any drawbacks.

For a higher upside guy there'd be some potential value in burning that first ELC year rather than waiting. But for a garden variety depth guy, that wouldn't matter as much.

Devil's fans will probably have a better scouting report on him, i believe he was Luke Hughes's D partner last season.

I thought Truscott would be worth an ELC but didn't think he'd be a slam dunk NHL guy. With the talent that Michigan had recently, it was tough for Truscott to stand out.

Reactions: hn777 and Szechwan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's a borderline signing but i think the canucks were game to ink him. in his case, the farm team he goes to is probably a factor and maybe somebody is dangling some nhl games this season and a burnt elc year.

i'll wildass guess it will be seattle to hopefully play with beniers and more realistically to hang out in coachella.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
he's a borderline signing but i think the canucks were game to ink him. in his case, the farm team he goes to is probably a factor and maybe somebody is dangling some nhl games this season and a burnt elc year.

i'll wildass guess it will be seattle to hopefully play with beniers and more realistically to hang out in coachella.

This season?

He is not allowed to sign with anyone else until August.

Only the Canucks can dangle him with some games this season..which is not happening since they are a top team in the NHL.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why trade for him when he gets to be a free agent at 22? He’s probably not going to sign anywhere except where his mind is made up (Detroit is my guess).
Yet we've seen players under this circumstance be traded for before. Jimmy Vesey was traded for a 3rd to BUF.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
He has the potential to be a good, defensively sound d-man. Probably #5 potential. Decent signing for whoever does it, I think. I'd say he's worth a contract slot.

Reactions: hn777

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I have watched Michigan games to see McGroarty and never saw much in Truscott. Very ordinary player. No Fox this guy.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I guess it makes sense from the players POV. Why tie yourself to the Canucks when you could look at all options in the league. Usually you see these moves from higher profile prospects, I wasn't 100% he'd even get contract from the Canucks.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I guess it makes sense from the players POV. Why tie yourself to the Canucks when you could look at all options in the league. Usually you see these moves from higher profile prospects, I wasn't 100% he'd even get contract from the Canucks.

Higher profile players dont stay in College for 4 years.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Mutually agreed to part ways.

Canucks gave him an outline of what they expect the prospect to go through. Which is him fighting through to depth of the ahl first. He needs to earn his time there and work his way up. He should have expected this with any other team anyways. Didnt like his chances. I wish him the best of luck.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agreed. Teams should get pick compensation the value of the draft pick they spent if these guys just walk.

It’s a system that essentially destroys the whole purpose of the draft. Every team is given the same 7 draft picks at the start of the year to encourage parity and allow them to build. Allowing players to just ignore the picks used and do as they please just syphons talent down south. I know we are only talking about late round picks and isolated scenarios, but over time that adds up.

Last edited:
Reactions: God and Petey O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad