Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
i didn't say the pk won't be better. it just won't be better because oel -- a player who didn't kill many penalties (especially after the new years break) -- is no longer with the team

they almost certainly will get improvement just from regression to the mean. it would be extremely hard to put up back to back worst in the modern era penalty kill performances

You said: "anyone who thinks getting rid of oel is the secret to fixing the pk is just hoping"

Isn't it moot if you agree the PK looks better? Pointless semantics debate about player usage. And they're not even that wrong, OEL was horrendous on the PK and will be addition by subtraction.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For sure. No Boudreau/Cull helps, too.

Didn't Yeo run the PK last season? The season Boudreau was hired the Canucks' PK was 11th during Boudreau's time. If it had anything to do with coaching it was replacing Baumgartner with Scott Walker. We also had Shaw in the past who came with a decent reputation for coaching the PK. Of course, Shaw might not have been listened under Green so any effect he could of had had might have been dampened. I also don't think Yeo's PK philosophies is anything special. Gary Agnew in Abbotsford might be the better PK coach.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Didn't Yeo run the PK last season? The season Boudreau was hired the Canucks' PK was 11th during Boudreau's time. If it had anything to do with coaching it was replacing Baumgartner with Scott Walker. We also had Shaw in the past who came with a decent reputation for coaching the PK. Of course, Shaw might not have been listened under Green so any effect he could of had had might have been dampened. I also don't think Yeo's PK philosophies is anything special. Gary Agnew in Abbotsford might be the better PK coach.

I think Cull handed the defense in general

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
This is exactly the type of low bar canucks fan excuses im talking about, (not directed at you two butbin general) its really shocking to me to read ppl who are satisfied, or even pleased with the progress.

As has been mentioned plenty of other teams have been able to do all sorts of transactions.

This team has alot of the same issues as when dumbo left, thats pathetic.
If you hated your boss/mgmt, finally the company fires them and the new ppl say alot of the right things but two years later your sitting at your desk with many many of the same issues you're going to be happy? Relieved? Impressed?

3/4 of the D or different bottom six players is nice, but basic, every team in the entire league does those things.

And no I want to keep boeser, the no context constant criticism is irrational and extreme.

Its a failure because its very close to 2 years in and the team, the cap, the pipeline, the holes, the , the outlook is basically the same as every other year.

On this board theres ppl heavily critical of yzerman in yr 4, but also saying we cant even begin to judge our mgnt until next summer, 2.5 years 3 drafts 3 free agencies and 3 tdls. Thats weird imo. Whats been accomplished?
Hronek for horvat...
Soucy cole bluger...

Maybe something happens before camp thats impressive, creative, unexpected, but more is needed on all fronts to move the needle. Im rambling but other ppl are more succinct, you get the point.
This is the type of mentality that has people take risky short cuts and get caught chasing their own tail. Everyone wants everything so quickly, but even assembling a roster from scratch in the expansion draft with the full use of the cap as an asset takes a couple years. The process is what it is, and while inconvenient for some, it’s the best way to improve your chances of success. I personally would have liked them to strip it down a bit more and ad to the prospect pool and then possibly use those assets (as well as cap space) to leverage other teams cap constraints. I get the angle with Pettersson (and I assume Hughes) wanting to win and that influencing the process, but I don’t personally think it’s likely they that any team wins in the Cap era without some ELC contracts over contributing based on the value.

Reactions: theguardianII

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'll save my breath we clearly wear different prescriptions. Rather soft excuse after soft excuse, 2 years is too short, only 24 months, only 730 days, we cant rush this rush to be competitive so elitepete will sign.

Maybe they beat everyones odds and sneak into a wildcard spot, incredible accomplishment after such a short time. Maybe something happens tomorrow..

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought we are talking about the PK? Didn’t Yeo run the PK?

It’s…hard to decipher. I spent a lot of time during the season trying to figure it out and more time since the question was asked.

From what I gathered, Cull and Yeo kind of co-ran the defense and PK with Cull being the in-charge. It seemed they had a similar set-up when Foote joined and replaced Cull but Yeo became the primary guy organizing the PK.

Two’s role was less specialized and is more focused on general strategy. I wouldn’t be shocked if Foote took a bigger role in organizing the PK and Yeo returns to what he was doing before. Especially with King gone and Gonchar part-time.

Reactions: m9

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I'll save my breath we clearly wear different prescriptions. Rather soft excuse after soft excuse, 2 years is too short, only 24 months, only 730 days, we cant rush this rush to be competitive so elitepete will sign.

Maybe they beat everyones odds and sneak into a wildcard spot, incredible accomplishment after such a short time. Maybe something happens tomorrow..
Are you in your early 20’s by chance ? It feels like a lack of perspective.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought we are talking about the PK? Didn’t Yeo run the PK?

It’s…hard to decipher. I spent a lot of time during the season trying to figure it out and more time since the question was asked.

From what I gathered, Cull and Yeo kind of co-ran the defense and PK with Cull being the in-charge. It seemed they had a similar set-up when Foote joined and replaced Cull but Yeo became the primary guy organizing the PK.

Two’s role was less specialized and is more focused on general strategy. I wouldn’t be shocked if Foote took a bigger role in organizing the PK and Yeo returns to what he was doing before. Especially with King gone and Gonchar part-time.

It almost doesn't matter to me. The team defense was awful when Boudreau/Cull were around and improved significantly when they were gone. They made obvious adjustments and had better structure despite playing many non-NHL players for long periods.

It's also just kind of obvious to me that there is overlap in the two roles, especially in results. If someone is doing a bad job coaching the defense, that poor structure and habits will bleed into the PK. They are coaching human players, not robots that just get re-programmed every time there's a penalty.

Reactions: andora and Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad