Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser
Pearson - Blueger - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Joshua - Studnicka
Hoglander, Podkolzin

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers
Brisebois, Juulsen

I feel like we're going to need quite a few things to break our way to be a playoff team with that roster.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
from the previous thread:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Hoglander, Podkolzin

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers
Brisebois, Juulsen

I feel like we're going to need quite a few things to break our way to be a playoff team with that roster.
I think we still need one or two wingers and Myers moved out, and at least one 3rd line C and possibly one more D brought in. And I don't think Pearson actually plays. So there could still be a lot of changes before opening day.

Reactions: Lindgren

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

Hoglander, Podkolzin

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers
Brisebois, Juulsen

This lineup wont make the playoffs, unfortunately. But It will compete every night.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Beauvillier
Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser
Di Giuseppe-Blueger-Hoglander
Joshua-Aman-Garland
Dries

Hughes-Cole
Soucy-Hronek
Wolanin-Myers
Brisebois/Irwin

Demko
Martin

LTIR:
Pearson
Poolman

Cap Space: 2.32m (LTIR)

Beauvillier and Mikheyeev are pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't be shocked to see PDG on the 2nd line, Mikheyev on the first, and Beauvillier on Blueger's wing. I think it's safe to say Hoglander is on the team in some capacity. Joshua-Aman-Garland was quite an effective line. Joshua is quite good at face-offs but can't actually play centre so he and Aman actually work as a combo with Garland being the creative and disruptive force. PDG and Blueger cover for Hoglander's defensive lapses while, like Garland, is the offensive driver. I chose Dries as the 13th forward over Studnicka and Podkolzin. Generally, you're 13th forward can play centre and I don't like having a young player sitting in the press box. I wouldn't be opposed with Studnicka but Dries was clearly the favourite and has powerplay utility.

Defence, to me, seems very easy to put together. Cole is a perfect replacement for Schenn but is a better player and shouldn't get weighed down with additional icetime the way Schenn did. Soucy fits in as Hronek's partner and both help with the other's weakness. Wolanin showed enough last year to have the inside track on the 3rd pairing LD spot. I don't think he'll put up a bunch of points but will facilitate breakouts and get fairly soft minutes against weaker competition. This is pretty much the only spot for Myers. I went with Brisebois and Irwin. Irwin's NHL experience and age should make him a favourite to sit comfortably in the press-box. He can play either side as well. Brisebois is the oldest of who I have left competing for a spot and showed pretty well in his limited NHL action.

Of course all of this is subject to change given several factors. If Pearson actually shows up for camp and is healthy, then that creates a problem. The simplest solution is actually to waive him and send him to the AHL. That would leave the Canucks with the slimmest of room under the cap. I also would expect a trade to happen. Despite my insistence of a winger needing to get moved out, Myers is the most obvious candidate. Ignoring his bonus, him being pushed into a 3rd pairing slot is an even worse of a use of cap space than any of the wingers. As an example, even trading Myers at 50% retention and replacing him with Juulsen would give the Canucks enough room to carry Pearson on the roster, in expense of Dries, and still have a little over 2m in cap space (LTIR).

It's still not a great team. Much like last year, I see this as a bubble team where things have to go well for them and wrong for others. The good news, to me, is the Conference is lacking in elite teams. I view only the Golden Knights, Stars, and Kings as the upper echelon of teams with very few weaknesses. Even then, the Kings are about 1.4m over the cap at the moment with no clear LTIR candidates. Avalanche, Oilers, Wild, and Kraken were all playoff teams but the Avalanche are a much weaker team than two seasons ago. Oilers are inconsistent and top heavy, Wild lack offensive punch, and the Kraken are good not great. That puts the Canucks with the Flames, Predators, Blues, and Jets. All pretty middling teams with a bunch of weaknesses and very big question marks. From what I see, the Canucks need less to break right than these other teams and should have a higher floor. The biggest thing for the Canucks may be for things to just not go monumentally bad again.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I have basically the same roster as @Vector with the exception being I think Juulsen takes one of the extra D spots due to being a RHD. Plus, I've got Silovs in goal.

No idea on the forward lines, I could see them go in a number of ways.

Reactions: Vector

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Surprised most rosters don’t have Hirose, at least as an additional dman. It’s hard to gauge his skill given that we only watched him during garbage time. I think if he impresses during training camp (like Stecher did), he could take Brisebois/Juulsen/Irwin’s spot.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Surprised most rosters don’t have Hirose, at least as an additional dman. It’s hard to gauge his skill given that we only watched him during garbage time. I think if he impresses during training camp (like Stecher did), he could take Brisebois/Juulsen/Irwin’s spot.

He’s waiver exempt and actually has a, slightly, higher cap hit. I think for him to make the team he has to win the 3rd pair LD slot. I wouldn’t be shocked if he does that or they roll with a regular rotation in that spot and he’s part of it, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Wouldn't be a surprise at all if Hirose made it. I don't think anyone has too good of a read on who of Wolanin/Hirose/Irwin/Brisebois make the team. You would assume at least two make the cut, though.

Reactions: Vector

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hirose, McDonough, McWard, Sasson, Bains, Johansson, Tolopilo, Nielsen, all free agent signings with the exception of McDonough.

A lot of these guys could carve out NHL careers. It doesn’t please the prospect gurus who prefer a draft # beside their name, but quite honestly, for a team who’s lacked a bunch of picks in previous years, having a bunch of 21-23 year olds who have excelled at every level despite taking awhile to get there, is some amazing work by Allvin. Especially since these guys are close to being NHL ready, if they aren’t already.

Basically, Allvin got us 2nd/3rd round equivalent players, if that makes sense, and really replenished our depth. Kudos to him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser
Mikheyev - Miller - PDG
Garland - Aman - Beauvillier
Joshua - Blueger - Hoglander
Dries

Podkolzin is waiver exempt and gets more time with Abby.

I think the Canucks need to rehabilitate Boeser's value, at the very least to get something back in a trade. There is chemistry there from the Lotto Line days. The Canucks also need to get something out of Boeser if they want to make the playoffs and this is how they accomplish that.

It's not my ideal set-up, but Tocchet and Allvin mentioned using Miller as the matchup center. If that's the case, they pretty much have to put him with the club's best two-way wingers.

That leaves a mish-mash of pieces in the bottom-six that don't really fit together. None of Hoglander, Garland, or Beauvillier really fit with the utilization that Blueger/Joshua will get, but those are the pieces remaining. Perhaps with Garland (and to a lesser extent Beauvillier) driving a line with Aman, you can get some offense there and decent two-way play.

Despite the money allocated and general cluster of players at the wing position, the forward group overall is not that strong.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria

Hoglander, Podkolzin

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers
Brisebois, Juulsen

It's still a weak looking team.I question a lot of these players..Mikheyev,will he stay healthy or not.
Boeser,,there are no more excuses,be ready and bring it or your gone.Pearson,healthy or not.Garland,,we need size,so replace.DeGiuseppe,,ahl,,first call up.Studnicka,,waivers.Hogs,and Pods,,tradeable for more grit..
Wolanin,Myers,Brisebois,,Juulsen,,,we need to find something better..we have been one of the highest capped teams,to still not make the playoffs.Still think we are a bubble team.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser
Mikheyev - Miller - PDG
Garland - Aman - Beauvillier
Joshua - Blueger - Hoglander
Dries

Podkolzin is waiver exempt and gets more time with Abby.

I think the Canucks need to rehabilitate Boeser's value, at the very least to get something back in a trade. There is chemistry there from the Lotto Line days. The Canucks also need to get something out of Boeser if they want to make the playoffs and this is how they accomplish that.

It's not my ideal set-up, but Tocchet and Allvin mentioned using Miller as the matchup center. If that's the case, they pretty much have to put him with the club's best two-way wingers.

This is why I really hope they bring in a guy like Pius Suter.
Miller-Suter-Mikheyev has a matchup line could be really strong - Miller can still take the draws, but plays on the wing where he is a legitimate play driver.

Like your idea of Boeser with Petey to resurrect his value.

In terms of the bottom six, you're right it's still a weird mish-mash, but there's some chemistry. Here's how I'd have it:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-[new two-way C]-Mikheyev
Beauvillier-Blueger-Garland
Joshua-Aman-Hoglander

That third line could play harder minutes too, and Garland is a guy that can get his points even playing with plugs (he's a bit of a puckhog anyways). This could allow for an even softer deployment of Petey/Aman.

Absent a new C, move Miller to the middle and put PDG next to him. Maybe swap PDG and Beauvillier.

Anyways long story short, I *really* hope they add another C.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
My projected lineup is a little bit different.

Mihkeyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Beauvillier
McDonough-Sasson-Di Giuseppe
Aman

Hughes-Juulsen
Hirose-Hronek
Cole-Soucy

Demko-Silovs

I think we’ll have a few surprises up front.

Cole and Soucy is the shutdown pairing. I can see Cole and Juulsen swapping places for matchup purposes as well.

Podkolzin plays a year in the AHL. Garland and Myers are traded. I do prefer we trade Beauvillier over Garland, but I do believe Garland will be dealt due to past rumours.

Reactions: Play

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I cant see Pearson making the team. He's super slow and now coming off 7 hand surgeries. If Podz/Hogz cant beat him out, that's quite sad

Reactions: oceanchild

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is why I really hope they bring in a guy like Pius Suter.
Miller-Suter-Mikheyev has a matchup line could be really strong - Miller can still take the draws, but plays on the wing where he is a legitimate play driver.

Like your idea of Boeser with Petey to resurrect his value.

In terms of the bottom six, you're right it's still a weird mish-mash, but there's some chemistry. Here's how I'd have it:

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Boeser
Miller-[new two-way C]-Mikheyev
Beauvillier-Blueger-Garland
Joshua-Aman-Hoglander

That third line could play harder minutes too, and Garland is a guy that can get his points even playing with plugs (he's a bit of a puckhog anyways). This could allow for an even softer deployment of Petey/Aman.

Absent a new C, move Miller to the middle and put PDG next to him. Maybe swap PDG and Beauvillier.

Anyways long story short, I *really* hope they add another C.
I think they also need another two-way forward (I'll second Suter) and that would help round out the roster. But they have cap issues and still have Tanner Pearson to figure out, which is another body up front that no one's really accounted for.

I think your third line would be okay to play some tougher minutes, but at this point in his career, Blueger really is where offense goes to die (for both teams). You kinda just suck away the offense Beau/Garland might have. I partnered them with Aman, not because Aman is good offensively (he's not), but at his age there is some hope of offensive development/progression.

All the roster tinkering is besides the point though (but I do think it's fun), and more or less insignificant. For the Canucks to make the playoffs, they need all of Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko playing at fringe Hart/Norris/Vezina levels - and crucially to not get injured. If those things all happen, they'll probably scrape in. if any of them falter in any way, they're cooked.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Agreed. Playoffs with this roster is a long shot.

They need to flip Myers out and bring in a legit 3C and some more scoring depth on the wing, and we could be talking.

It was always a nigh-on impossible task to address the defense without handicapping the centre depth in some way due to the cap structure and lack of impact prospects, unfortunately.

Outside of Kuzmenko, I really don't love that group of wingers either now that Miller has switched to centre.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Injury to EP or Miller and this team is bottom 10 even with stellar goaltending.

Possibly bottom 5 depending on the length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad