2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
A 6 million dollar goalie that led them to back to back bottom 3 finishes is good? Absolutely not, that's ridiculous.

Sutter "okay"? They traded a better younger cheaper player for him and added a second round pick, then turned around and signed him to an unprecedented contract.

Gagner and Del Zotto have been awful this season, have bled goals and shots against and are overpaid with term.

So yeah when your only good pro scouting moves are bringing in a a 4th liner in Dorsett (I'd say it was okay), a guy who apparently didn't have value in the second year of his contract in Vrbata and a tweener streaky winger in Baertschi then you know your regime has been a complete and utter failure.

You also left out guys like Clendenning, Bartowski, Larsen, Prust.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
A 6 million dollar goalie that led them to back to back bottom 3 finishes is good? Absolutely not, that's ridiculous.

Sutter "okay"? They traded a better younger cheaper player for him and added a second round pick, then turned around and signed him to an unprecedented contract.

Gagner and Del Zotto have been awful this season, have bled goals and shots against and are overpaid with term.

So yeah when your only good pro scouting moves are bringing in a a 4th liner in Dorsett (I'd say it was okay), a guy who apparently didn't have value in the second year of his contract in Vrbata and a tweener streaky winger in Baertschi then you know your regime has been a complete and utter failure.

You also left out guys like Clendenning, Bartowski, Larsen, Prust.
1 player is not a team. Based it on individual performance

You're right about Clendening and Prust i will add them.

Bartkowski was a UFA depth player that played due to injuries. Same as Chaput Megna Cracknell McMillan. Weber was already here.

Gagner and Del Zotto have been pretty much as advertised. As UFA signings they have been OK. As NHL players they have both been struggling to stay in the league for awhile.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Bartkowski was a UFA depth player that played due to injuries. Same as Chaput Megna Cracknell McMillan. Weber was already here.

Gagner and Del Zotto have been pretty much as advertised. As UFA signings they have been OK. As NHL players they have both been struggling to stay in the league for awhile.

Miller was paid like a top 10 goalie, while his stats ranked outside the top 20. How is that good?

Bartkowski was brought into Benning's top 6 on D.

Gagner and MDZ have not been good, especially defensively. Their multi-year deals are crap.

Reactions: timw33

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

You are wrong about Bart. He was an instant regular who played 80 games here including 19-20 minutes per game at the very beginning.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Miller was paid like a top 10 goalie, while his stats ranked outside the top 20. How is that good?

Bartkowski was brought into Benning's top 6 on D.

Gagner and MDZ have not been good, especially defensively. Their multi-year deals are crap.
Miller like most UFA aged players got paid for past performances and reputation. He was on a bad team and kept them in games. A good team would have won with him.

Edler Tanev Hamhuis Sbisa Weber were the top 5. Pedan Bartkowski Hutton and Biega were put in a position to win ice time. Losing 145 man games to that top5 made him a full timer.

Gagner is a filler who can move up and down and help the pp. He's been as advertised after a poor start. Del Zotto cooled significantly after being over used. he's been ok in my books. Bad lately but very good to start and has apparently drawn some trade interest which could work out nicely.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Miller like most UFA aged players got paid for past performances and reputation. He was on a bad team and kept them in games. A good team would have won with him.

Edler Tanev Hamhuis Sbisa Weber were the top 5. Pedan Bartkowski Hutton and Biega were put in a position to win ice time. Losing 145 man games to that top5 made him a full timer.

Gagner is a filler who can move up and down and help the pp. He's been as advertised after a poor start. Del Zotto cooled significantly after being over used. he's been ok in my books. Bad lately but very good to start and has apparently drawn some trade interest which could work out nicely.

Why pay him for past performances and reputation when we really weren't bidding against anyone? Also just because some UFA's tend to be overpaid doesn't make them good signings when they don't perform well. Again, he was outside the top 20 among starting goalies during his tenure here. How is that good?

Weber was not a lock in our top 6. Bartkowski played more games than any other Canucks defenseman in 2015-16. Suggesting he wasn't a regular is just wrong.

Gagner was a bad signing for this team with that contract. I said as much in the offseason that the Canucks missed the time to sign him (by a year), and that now he would be overpaid. MDZ is also a mess. Terrible in his own end and doesn't offer enough offensively to make up for that.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
LOL what is this? It's more like:

*TBD
Good

Boeser
Dahlen*
Pettersson*
Demko*
Lind*

Ok

Vrbata
Miller
Tryamkin*
Baertschi
Stecher
Vanek
Bonino

Bad

Virtanen
Gudbranson
Eriksson
Sbisa
Pouliot
Vey
Pedan
Larsen
Gagner
Juolevi
Sutter
Granlund
Del Zotto
Goldobin*
Dorsett
Bartkowski
Weber
Prust
Clendening
McMillan
Nilsson
Etem
Cracknell
Chaput
Megna

There's very little good that Benning has done, and most of that good are TBD but tracking well.

What a depressing list. You could move Baertschi over to the good list and a couple of the "bad"over to "okay" if you wanted to be generous but by and large that list is accurate.

And the thing is, out of the "good" list, Pettersson and Lind are from the 2017 draft which linden gave credit to Brackett for modernizing our scouting system, and Boeser was also scouted by Brackett and the other USHL scout.

When you take those away what do you have? Demko and Dahlen, both of whom are still unknowns, and Baertschi, who is a mediocre second liner at best whose career high in points in a season is 35. The only 3 good benning moves after 4 years in charge. It's astounding how this moron still has supporters.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Hutton was a rookie straight out of college who wasn't good enough for our AHL team the prior Spring.

Pedan was also a rookie with zero NHL games played and was in the ECHL for parts of the prior season.

Biega was a 26 year old with seven NHL games played. He was seen as an AHL lifer by mostly everyone.

Bartkowski hadn't been in the AHL in over two seasons. He played most of Boston's games the prior two seasons before signing with the Canucks. The Canucks gave him $1.75 million.

Is is really that hard to figure out which one the Canucks had pencilled in their top 6?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Linden on Hutton making the 2015-16 opening day roster.

“To be honest, we probably had Jake pencilled in, we felt Ben would probably need some time in the American league, it’s a big step for a defenceman, and Jared the same thing. But they deserve to be here and it’s exciting for us, I think it is exciting for everyone. If we didn’t feel good about it, they wouldn’t be here.”

Rookies all smiles as Canucks embrace youth movement with final cuts

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Miller was paid to be an elite goaltender, he was a 35 year old goaltender signed to a rich contract with term a completely backwards move for a "retooling" team.

Bartowski was sought after throughout the year buy the Canucks, their were rumours that they were willing to move Kassian for him. He was brought in as a regular defender and was a complete failure.

Huh so they were borderline NHL players who are considered okay signings despite this and being paid high money on term? By every definition that is bad.

Reactions: timw33

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You know if you're making a good/neutral/bad list to view from a quantity perspective it doesn't make sense to add drafted guys after the 1st round like Demko/Gaudette/Lind to the 'Good' list, because what about the rest of the draft picks?

In my opinion, just cover it by including the entire draft:

good
2015 draft
2017 draft*

neutral
2014 draft (depending on how you want to look at it could be good or bad)

bad
2016 draft

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Hutton was a rookie straight out of college who wasn't good enough for our AHL team the prior Spring.

Pedan was also a rookie with zero NHL games played and was in the ECHL for parts of the prior season.

Biega was a 26 year old with seven NHL games played. He was seen as an AHL lifer by mostly everyone.

Bartkowski hadn't been in the AHL in over two seasons. He played most of Boston's games the prior two seasons before signing with the Canucks. The Canucks gave him $1.75 million.

Is is really that hard to figure out which one the Canucks had pencilled in their top 6?

I don't think you'll find anyone who would honestly claim Bartkowski wasn't fully counted on as one of our top 6 D.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ryan Miller is outperforming Eddie Lack as a backup goalie in the NHL. :sarcasm:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Benning doesn't sound too encouraged that an extension is imminent (like some suggested....derp look at Aquilini's comments in November derp derp). As long as the Canucks finish bottom 5 I would be shocked if Benning were extended. Tick tock, tick tock.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Would be funny if Goldobin bolts to the KHL how people will react. Will that Hansen for Goldobin trade still be celebrated by the pro-Benning crowd? Would be hypocritical to still praise that trade while praising the Shinkaruk-Granlund trade.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Would be funny if Goldobin bolts to the KHL how people will react. Will that Hansen for Goldobin trade still be celebrated by the pro-Benning crowd? Would be hypocritical to still praise that trade while praising the Shinkaruk-Granlund trade.

Yes it would be funny that our team lost a player that we are hoping will be good?

Wtf is funny about that in anyway?

Oh, this is more on your Shink thing again.

Yes, lets hope something "funny" like that happens. Jesus, all this to just be right.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yes it would be funny that our team lost a player that we are hoping will be good?

Wtf is funny about that in anyway?

Oh, this is more on your Shink thing again.

Yes, lets hope something "funny" like that happens. Jesus, all this to just be right.

Well considering I didn't like this trade the day it was made, yes it would be funny. Just another nail in the coffin on Benning's career here.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Benning doesn't sound too encouraged that an extension is imminent (like some suggested....derp look at Aquilini's comments in November derp derp). As long as the Canucks finish bottom 5 I would be shocked if Benning were extended. Tick tock, tick tock.

Most of us hope Benning isn't extended and many of us are concerned if he still has any power to make moves while his contract nears expiry. We posters on this forum seem to be in the minority, though, in wanting Benning gone.

People on here might find the link at Vancouver Canucks: Letting Jim Benning go would be foolish difficult to take. Yes, I know my comment to the article was overly forgiving and diplomatic and that in the interests of not writing a book many of the negatives didn't get mentioned.

Polls and comments on other blogs involving Canuck fans, except for here on hfb, express overwhelmingly that Benning is doing a great job. The commenters tend to believe that Benning has done a great job drafting and a good job trading and that each and every one of Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlin, Goldobin, Lind, Gadjovich and DiPietro will be NHL regulars. Most are high on Virtanen, Cassels, Sutter and Gudbranson. I envy them. Being able to wake up each morning and thinking how great everything is while fires burn all around must be incredibly pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad