2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Most of us hope Benning isn't extended and many of us are concerned if he still has any power to make moves while his contract nears expiry. We posters on this forum seem to be in the minority, though, in wanting Benning gone.

People on here might find the link at Vancouver Canucks: Letting Jim Benning go would be foolish difficult to take. Yes, I know my comment to the article was overly forgiving and diplomatic and that in the interests of not writing a book many of the negatives didn't get mentioned.

Polls and comments on other blogs involving Canuck fans, except for here on hfb, express overwhelmingly that Benning is doing a great job. The commenters tend to believe that Benning has done a great job drafting and a good job trading and that each and every one of Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson, Dahlin, Goldobin, Lind, Gadjovich and DiPietro will be NHL regulars. Most are high on Virtanen, Cassels, Sutter and Gudbranson. I envy them. Being able to wake up each morning and thinking how great everything is while fires burn all around must be incredibly pleasant.

Benning really is the GM that the majority of Canuck fans deserve, it seems. I'm convinced that if we had the Kevin Lowe regime a lot of Canuck fans would support exactly what he did with the Oilers.

Ah well. At the end of the day our idiot owners might make the right call despite themselves. That's what I'm counting on at least.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
People on here might find the link at Vancouver Canucks: Letting Jim Benning go would be foolish difficult to take.

Let's have a look...

Riddle me this, Mr. Team President. If you and the owners decide not to bring back Benning, just who will be a suitable replacement?

X035o_s-200x150.gif

Guys, no one can ever be replaced, EVER, because the top 31 people of any position in the WORLD are ALREADY IN THE NHL!!!

Moved out Ryan Kesler, who had overstayed his welcome in Vancouver and became a problem in the team’s locker room. You think Mike Gillis would have done that?

Uh, yes?

Benning is known for being one of the best scouting general managers out there.
Winston Churchill (or Albert Einstein) is also "known" for having coined the "definition of insanity" quote. In neither case does that make it true. That's why we have hearsay rules in court!

What do you want the Canucks to do instead? Hire an unqualified GM who’s going to try and put off the rebuild and shoot to get this team back into the playoffs?
Ironnnnnyyyyyyyyy.... :laugh:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Steve Yzerman since draft 2014

Point
Sergachev (for Drouin)
Stralman
Coburn
Girardi
Gourde
Garrison
Kunitz
Boyle
Morrow
Nabokov
Marchesseault
Condra
Bournival
McKegg

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Whether or not they bring Benning back I think they need to restructure the front office and bring in someone like a Ken Holland to be the Lou Lamareillo for the organization. I like Linden as part of the organization but I think "moving him up / to the side" to make room for Holland or someone like him would be very smart.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Guys, no one can ever be replaced, EVER, because the top 31 people of any position in the WORLD are ALREADY IN THE NHL!!!

An economist and an optimist were walking down the street when they spot a $100 bill on the pavement in front of them. The optimist goes to pick it up and the economist stops him and says"If that was money someone would have picked it up"

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Was Miller was so **** Benning couldn't even get a 7th rounder for him?
Or
Was Miller good and Benning such a **** GM he couldn't even get a 7th rounder.

Turns out it was C) Ryan Miller had such a great reputation the Canucks could have gotten the 9OA pick for him... but Benning was so inept he passed it up.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
-it-to-bulis/for-the-canucks-judd-brackett-scouting-and-drafting-are-a-collaborative-effort-1.23144857
That makes me very comfortable about getting rid of Benning. The scouting looks like it doesn't need Benning, and he's an awful manager and pro-evaluator.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Source? This would be his worst move as a GM.

Was in tonight's Provies:

The Provies: Marky rises, MDZ falls, and the current war over the Canucks origin story

The message was not about rebuild. The direction, instead, was trying to refresh.
With a really good goalie and some tweaks, the so-called window could be re-opened.
It’s partly why, when Anaheim gave Vancouver a choice of bottom four D-men, the Canucks wanted Sbsia over Vatanen. Sbisa had played 200 games more and the Canucks believed he could be a difference maker sooner.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Last edited:

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
If it's true I imagine Bob Murray just burst out laughing after he hung up the phone.
Im sure he is still is.i am really curious as to what the Canucks are waiting for with Benning.I really do not want to be going into another tdl with him on the phone.I dont know if i can take anymore Jason Megnas or Chaputs or aging soft vets on this team.Fire him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad