Canucks Management and Ownership Thread v27.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Like what I see so far from management this year and ownership. Linden is staying out of things and even Benning is less noticeable. They are letting Willie do his thing more than last year. Maybe they are just setting Willie up for "the fall" if this year goes bad, but I think Willie will surprise people.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Like what I see so far from management this year and ownership. Linden is staying out of things and even Benning is less noticeable. They are letting Willie do his thing more than last year. Maybe they are just setting Willie up for "the fall" if this year goes bad, but I think Willie will surprise people.

He's already surprised most people

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Remember when we finished 6th last while also being right up against the cap ceiling? What kind of thinking was that the result of?

1) If you had a plan to get a big house and a lot of girlfriends and you had your entire career riding on the outcome would you announce your plan to the world? What you call the goal, which is just the plan in its distilled form, is the highest level of detail you should expect from any GM for very good reasons. To categorically state that they have no plan is baseless and it just shows your bias.

2) I've been studying the Trump phenomenon and while I am not taking this political, nor do I wish to, if anything you're the one who resembles Trump and his voters. You're selling the idea that the [nux/usa] are in a state of disaster, that the management is completely incompetent, you're so frustrated by the establishment that you want to see them all fired, you absurdly caricature their dealmaking then try to hammer them on deals that weren't even that bad at all, your idea of re-building the [nux/usa] is to set everything on fire and hope things get better, you'd rather someone with zero experience run the [nux/usa], you relentlessly insult and mock the people who disagree with you and accuse them of being shills, you delude yourselves with confirmation bias and parrot discredited narratives over and over on a website that you've turned into an angry echo chamber, and you use subtly racist words like how do you know I don't have ancestry from Crete?

3) Better players are already on their way. Boeser's a teenager who could already step into the top 6, Juolevi is like the safest bet for becoming a top pairing D out of all NHL prospects. The G and D and W positions are mostly set with loads of young talent. The C position is set with Hank, Bo, Butters, and Granny which is like having a 1C and three potential 2C's on any given night. What don't you like about the roster, what improvements do you want to see, and in what position? Because I don't understand your fascination with stockpiling draft picks at the expense of a winning culture when there aren't even spots for those picks. If we were to do as you suggest we would have too many young talented players competing for limited spots and we'd lose them on waivers for nothing while also destroying the winning environment so that the ones we don't lose to waivers miss out on the chance to rub shoulders with experienced veteran mentors and absorb their winning culture by osmosis. You strike me as someone who hasn't thought of all the complex dynamics involved in teambuilding, especially the aspects that aren't found in the NHL video games.

4) Sedins will be dead soon? Did you miss the WC? Did you miss last night's game? Here's what they can still do https://streamable.com/23bm and it looks like they've still got plenty left in the tank to me.

I think we have a totally different kind of view here.

1) If the goal is the perfect outcome its difficult to achieve. Obviously, staying competitive and integrating youth is what should happen in a perfect world but it wont in reality. If you believe in that, you might as well buy some magic beans.

2) You are getting that Trump thing wrong. What Trump is doing is promising totally outlandish results on hypothetical scenarios, which is exactly what Benning is doing here. Its just spilling catch-phrases in hopes to satisfy the uneducated masses. Trump is doing it when he throws up some incorrect **** that is taken for granted by his followers just because they dont bother to check facts. Same is true for the Benning supports who are blindly following his current menu of the day. Monday its Playoffs, Tuesdays its a rebuild, Wednesdays its a something in between and Thursdays is a "everything goes".

3) Boeser and Juolevi are nice prospects but they havent played a single minute of pro-hockey. Lets keep calm and wait to say what they can do here. Also, the Canucks do not have a top 6 center behind Henrik right now. Horvat will probably get there but still needs to learn a few tricks. Sutter is at best a solid 3rd line C and Granlund should be happy if he keeps on being a regular on a terrible NHL team. How you can call that 3 potential 2nd line Centermen is beyond any logic.

4) The Sedins are still able to do awesome things despite their age, one has to look no further than last night but they arent getting any younger. The season will take its toll on them as we have seen it over the last years. Without any support they are bound to slow down no matter how hot they start the season. At this stage of their career they would make a best ever 2nd line on a contender but their talent is wasted on a bottom feeder like the Canucks. They will keep the team at a higher level than it deserves

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hiring Jarvis must concern WD. He works daily with the heir apparent.

Botchford rumor paints ownership as childish meddlers. Hmm...?

If Sedins are mentors and leaders why does management bring in leaders every season? They tried Prust, who was done as a hockey player last season. This season, in a more measured approach, they brought in Jarvis and Malhotra. Most of the guys the Canucks shed have been kids. Why aren't they here still, being mentored if this was working? If it wasn't working, why?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
One thing that got overlooked in the Provies that I think needs to be restated here is that Botchford went out of his way to say that it isn't ownership stepping in and mandating that the Canucks could be playoff contenders -- it was something Benning sold ownership. Interesting, cos it is something that I've brought up as a criticism of the state of affairs in the Canucks office -- that the Aqua Boys are the ones calling for playoffs. If what Botch is saying is true, it goes back to what I say about Benning being really well liked by ownership and that he probably has a longer leash than most people think.

I think Botch went so far as to say that that line of thinking is 'silly', and given that he isn't exactly Benning's staunchest defender, I found that to be interesting for him to be speaking up about.

The hack that people like to portray Botch as could've just fanned the flames on Linden's idiotic comment and sat back and roasted some marshmallows. Dude actually stepped in and defended Benning, kind of.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
One thing that got overlooked in the Provies that I think needs to be restated here is that Botchford went out of his way to say that it isn't ownership stepping in and mandating that the Canucks could be playoff contenders -- it was something Benning sold ownership. Interesting, cos it is something that I've brought up as a criticism of the state of affairs in the Canucks office -- that the Aqua Boys are the ones calling for playoffs. If what Botch is saying is true, it goes back to what I say about Benning being really well liked by ownership and that he probably has a longer leash than most people think.

I think Botch went so far as to say that that line of thinking is 'silly', and given that he isn't exactly Benning's staunchest defender, I found that to be interesting for him to be speaking up about.

The hack that people like to portray Botch as could've just fanned the flames on Linden's idiotic comment and sat back and roasted some marshmallows. Dude actually stepped in and defended Benning, kind of.

or he is daring benning to open his big mouth and get himself fired?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Doubt it. I don't really think he's that clever (and I loves me some Botch), and honestly, I don't think the front office really gives two tugs about what Botch writes.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I think I'll wait and see if another source or two outside botch's little echo chamber of minions confirm this rumour before taking it to this level of conspiracy

So you'll wait for the sycophantic echo chamber of reporters with their lips firmly planted on management's ass to speak up against management before you believe something by a contrarian reporter. Seems legit. :sarcasm:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
So you'll wait for the sycophantic echo chamber of reporters with their lips firmly planted on management's ass to speak up against management before you believe something by a contrarian reporter. Seems legit. :sarcasm:

yup when the pair of tan noses give us information Jimson will be happy to listen.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Remember when we finished 6th last while also being right up against the cap ceiling? What kind of thinking was that the result of?

1) If you had a plan to get a big house and a lot of girlfriends and you had your entire career riding on the outcome would you announce your plan to the world? What you call the goal, which is just the plan in its distilled form, is the highest level of detail you should expect from any GM for very good reasons. To categorically state that they have no plan is baseless and it just shows your bias.

2) I've been studying the Trump phenomenon and while I am not taking this political, nor do I wish to, if anything you're the one who resembles Trump and his voters. You're selling the idea that the [nux/usa] are in a state of disaster, that the management is completely incompetent, you're so frustrated by the establishment that you want to see them all fired, you absurdly caricature their dealmaking then try to hammer them on deals that weren't even that bad at all, your idea of re-building the [nux/usa] is to set everything on fire and hope things get better, you'd rather someone with zero experience run the [nux/usa], you relentlessly insult and mock the people who disagree with you and accuse them of being shills, you delude yourselves with confirmation bias and parrot discredited narratives over and over on a website that you've turned into an angry echo chamber, and you use subtly racist words like how do you know I don't have ancestry from Crete?

3) Better players are already on their way. Boeser's a teenager who could already step into the top 6, Juolevi is like the safest bet for becoming a top pairing D out of all NHL prospects. The G and D and W positions are mostly set with loads of young talent. The C position is set with Hank, Bo, Butters, and Granny which is like having a 1C and three potential 2C's on any given night. What don't you like about the roster, what improvements do you want to see, and in what position? Because I don't understand your fascination with stockpiling draft picks at the expense of a winning culture when there aren't even spots for those picks. If we were to do as you suggest we would have too many young talented players competing for limited spots and we'd lose them on waivers for nothing while also destroying the winning environment so that the ones we don't lose to waivers miss out on the chance to rub shoulders with experienced veteran mentors and absorb their winning culture by osmosis. You strike me as someone who hasn't thought of all the complex dynamics involved in teambuilding, especially the aspects that aren't found in the NHL video games.

4) Sedins will be dead soon? Did you miss the WC? Did you miss last night's game? Here's what they can still do https://streamable.com/23bm and it looks like they've still got plenty left in the tank to me.

This is one of the finest posts I have ever read. This is a Jim Rome worthy smack down. Outstanding.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You confuse facts with your opinion more often than not.

Nope.

I use stats and sources to support my opinion. I don't just complain about what others say without offering up a logical alternative that's supported by facts. Some people just can't accept reality.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Nope.

I use stats and sources to support my opinion. I don't just complain about what others say without offering up a logical alternative that's supported by facts. Some people just can't accept reality.

That's your problem. You believe that you can assemble a hockey team and make acquisitions based purely on analytics and ignoring everything else.......but I have been through that before and it's obviously not being understood.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Code:

Not at all. It was one of the finest posts I have read here to date.

Only because it happens to coincide with your opinion. There are absolutely zero facts to back up anything he says in there about the Canucks.

Sutter and Granlund are 2C's now? :lol:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Code:

Not at all. It was one of the finest posts I have read here to date.

Even skipping all the nonsense that's unrelated to hockey.. we are apparently set at the center position with three potential 2c's, one of whom is a 27 year old player who has flatlined his whole career, and then a 36 year old center.

Like come on..

And don't spin this as some anti-sedin ********. He's 36. They're showing signs of fatigue and will need to be replaced at some point in the near future.

Now if his post stated we were set up well for this season at the center position barring injury, then I would agree. But if you want to believe we are set going forward, oh boy.

And then the rest of the drivel in that post is laugh worthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad