Canucks Management and Ownership Thread v27.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So in the provies Botchford says that management screwed Gilman out of the Vegas job.

Jesus, the old boys club does hold grudges.

I can't wait till Benning and his "expert hockey whatever" english major assistant is fired JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBUS

First off, these are rumors. Not sure if it's true. Second of all, why is this Benning's fault? These are exactly the decisions that Linden should be in charge of.

I honestly don't think management would prevent Gilman from interviewing for another AGM job. I also don't think Benning would even care and I don't think Linden would seek to prevent Gilman from getting another AGM job. I think the "old boys club" isn't about preventing a fired executive, scout, or coach to find another NHL gig. Ownership may think differently, but I doubt it. I just don't see anyone holding a grudge against Gilman.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
First off, these are rumors. Not sure if it's true. Second of all, why is this Benning's fault? These are exactly the decisions that Linden should be in charge of.

I honestly don't think management would prevent Gilman from interviewing for another AGM job. I also don't think Benning would even care and I don't think Linden would seek to prevent Gilman from getting another AGM job. I think the "old boys club" isn't about preventing a fired executive, scout, or coach to find another NHL gig. Ownership may think differently, but I doubt it. I just don't see anyone holding a grudge against Gilman.

You probably believe everything you hear on the mainstream media as well.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Management, not Benning, were the ones who blocked Gilman.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
If he wanted to sign on a team that would have presented a high end opportunity to get into the lineup right away, there were better options than Vancouver.

The people advancing that if we had Forsling, Stecher would not want to come here are wrong.

We finished 3rd worst last year with a defence that relied heavily on mouldy cheese of Bartkowski, Weber and Sbisa, and forced Biega and Tryamkin into bigger roles. There were few organizations that needed a Stecher (or Forsling either) more than Vancouver. And while Edmonton may have got him in the NHL quicker, I'm betting nearly every other organization would have saw the benefit of getting his feet wet in the 'A' ...

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Holy crap. :facepalm:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...ill-called-his-horvat-shot-and-updating-feuds

Yeah, just completely **** over a guy who was a major part in our team almost winning a cup. They deserve to step on legos.

These guys have certainly demonstrated that they're capable of petty, spiteful behaviour towards players or staff associated with the previous regime. Many fans have remarked on the apparent favouritism towards players that were added by the current regime. Of course, this stuff starts at the top. The training staff was booted last year without any justification. Aquilini certainly had no qualms about cleaning out the entire unionized service staff at Rogers a couple years ago and replacing them with minimum wage-earning teenagers. Most of the unionized staff had been working at the arena since it opened in 1995. **** rolls downhill, baby. Mike Gillis did a decent job of shoveling it back up the hill for a while, but Benning has no such talent.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, just completely **** over a guy who was a major part in our team almost winning a cup.

spite is the inference. but that is just an assumption.

look at the history: we fail to trade a veteran defenseman who was two years removed from being an olympian and a recent 30 goal scorer at the deadline. to a lesser degree, he held onto brad richardson and shawn matthias for seemingly no reason the year before.

Las Vegas asked the Canucks for permission to speak with Gilman but a response was delayed.

One person said it took 11 days for the Canucks to get back to Vegas, the other said it may have been more like two weeks, or more.

As it was explained to me, by the time the Canucks were ready to grant permission, Vegas had moved on.

sure sounds like our trade deadlines, no? i just don't think benning knows how to use his smart phone.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
So they did give permission to Arizona then to interview Gilman. The issue is that it was not fast enough. Who is the Boat captain? I like Botch's opinions compared to Pratt he is a genius. He is a legit sports fan who is not afraid to call BS. On the Horvat situation I think the Canucks believe Horvat can create offense in defensive match ups. However in that case why not Hansen or even Erickson on his wing and maybe Virtanen on the other?

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Exactly the kind of cretinous thinking that's produced a bottom feeder team that's still somehow scraping the salary cap.

1) A goal and a plan are not the same bloody thing. A goal is where you want to be, a plan is how to get there. A goal without a plan is just a wish. Lindenningbrod saying "We want to be competitive while integrating youth" is like me saying "I want to be rich, live in a big house and have lots of girlfriends". Yeah, you're going to do that...how? Of course they're not going to give out all their concrete steps for going from basement back to penthouse. They don't bloody have any.

2) Being wrong in larger font just means you're also obviously wrong to the vision-impaired as well as the fully sighted. FYI.

3) I never said we should stockpile late round draft picks. Nice strawman. We need better players. Where are they going to come from? Trading? Not bloody likely with these clowns in charge. Oh, they've shown they can hit on the draft picks they do have? Whoop-de-****ing-doo. Doesn't mean **** if you keep tossing those players aside. And hey...wow gee whizz...if they're so good at picking good players in the draft, doesn't it stand to reason they'd want more picks to get more good players faster? What's your explanation for their reluctance to do just that? Are they biding their time? Lulling the competition into a false sense of security?

4) The Sedins aren't going to play dead, they're just going to be dead before very long. How many years of front line play do you really think they have left? They're not Highlanders. If you're looking at two or three years down the road and thinking the Sedins will still be frontline talent, I've got several bridges to sell you.

Ugh. It's like talking to a Trump voter.

Remember when we finished 6th last while also being right up against the cap ceiling? What kind of thinking was that the result of?

1) If you had a plan to get a big house and a lot of girlfriends and you had your entire career riding on the outcome would you announce your plan to the world? What you call the goal, which is just the plan in its distilled form, is the highest level of detail you should expect from any GM for very good reasons. To categorically state that they have no plan is baseless and it just shows your bias.

2) I've been studying the Trump phenomenon and while I am not taking this political, nor do I wish to, if anything you're the one who resembles Trump and his voters. You're selling the idea that the [nux/usa] are in a state of disaster, that the management is completely incompetent, you're so frustrated by the establishment that you want to see them all fired, you absurdly caricature their dealmaking then try to hammer them on deals that weren't even that bad at all, your idea of re-building the [nux/usa] is to set everything on fire and hope things get better, you'd rather someone with zero experience run the [nux/usa], you relentlessly insult and mock the people who disagree with you and accuse them of being shills, you delude yourselves with confirmation bias and parrot discredited narratives over and over on a website that you've turned into an angry echo chamber, and you use subtly racist words like how do you know I don't have ancestry from Crete?

3) Better players are already on their way. Boeser's a teenager who could already step into the top 6, Juolevi is like the safest bet for becoming a top pairing D out of all NHL prospects. The G and D and W positions are mostly set with loads of young talent. The C position is set with Hank, Bo, Butters, and Granny which is like having a 1C and three potential 2C's on any given night. What don't you like about the roster, what improvements do you want to see, and in what position? Because I don't understand your fascination with stockpiling draft picks at the expense of a winning culture when there aren't even spots for those picks. If we were to do as you suggest we would have too many young talented players competing for limited spots and we'd lose them on waivers for nothing while also destroying the winning environment so that the ones we don't lose to waivers miss out on the chance to rub shoulders with experienced veteran mentors and absorb their winning culture by osmosis. You strike me as someone who hasn't thought of all the complex dynamics involved in teambuilding, especially the aspects that aren't found in the NHL video games.

4) Sedins will be dead soon? Did you miss the WC? Did you miss last night's game? Here's what they can still do https://streamable.com/23bm and it looks like they've still got plenty left in the tank to me.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
If you turn off your Denial Mode, you'll find that plenty of people have been making the case that Benning is the worst GM in the league.

Just one sample:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064619-ranking-the-31-nhl-general-managers

LOL, Miller is an overpaid goalie whose best days are behind him, and he's arguably stunted the development of Markstrom by taking the easier of back-to-backs.

And given his habit of throwing teammates under the bus you can't really describe him as a great mentor with any degree of credibility:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-miller-calls-out-canucks-defence-after-loss-to-sabres/

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/19/ryan-miller-apologizes-to-teammate-kaleta-for-grow-up-comment

Like, seriously? You listed Miller being a "mentor" as a positive of Benning's "judgement"?

http://www.metronews.ca/views/vanco...gns-of-discontent-a-bad-omen-for-canucks.html

First article about ranking GMs is clickbait garbage with a single sentence analysis for each team.

The rest of them about Miller actually make me like him more. The Kaleta thing was Miller reacting frankly to a misquote of Kaleta by the media guy and afterwards Milled handled it with class. He wasn't throwing his teammates under the bus.. he was describing the play to answer the question that was asked of him. He regularly criticizes his own mistakes too so I don't see any problem there. As for the last one are you really questioning a Vezina winning goalie's character because of his body language during a losing streak? :shakehead

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
First article about ranking GMs is clickbait garbage with a single sentence analysis for each team.

The rest of them about Miller actually make me like him more. The Kaleta thing was Miller reacting frankly to a misquote of Kaleta by the media guy and afterwards Milled handled it with class. He wasn't throwing his teammates under the bus.. he was describing the play to answer the question that was asked of him. He regularly criticizes his own mistakes too so I don't see any problem there. As for the last one are you really questioning a Vezina winning goalie's character because of his body language during a losing streak? :shakehead

What are your thoughts on Tortorella?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
So in the provies Botchford says that management screwed Gilman out of the Vegas job.

Jesus, the old boys club does hold grudges.

I can't wait till Benning and his "expert hockey whatever" english major assistant is fired JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBUS

Why would you or anyone care?

yoss

May 25, 2011
Why would you or anyone care?

Because it's a ****** way to treat a former guy who helped make this team great in the recent past? Or anyone for that matter? Like why do that? It's either spite or oversight, neither of which looks good on them (if it's true).

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Remember when we finished 6th last while also being right up against the cap ceiling? What kind of thinking was that the result of?

1) If you had a plan to get a big house and a lot of girlfriends and you had your entire career riding on the outcome would you announce your plan to the world? What you call the goal, which is just the plan in its distilled form, is the highest level of detail you should expect from any GM for very good reasons. To categorically state that they have no plan is baseless and it just shows your bias.

2) I've been studying the Trump phenomenon and while I am not taking this political, nor do I wish to, if anything you're the one who resembles Trump and his voters. You're selling the idea that the [nux/usa] are in a state of disaster, that the management is completely incompetent, you're so frustrated by the establishment that you want to see them all fired, you absurdly caricature their dealmaking then try to hammer them on deals that weren't even that bad at all, your idea of re-building the [nux/usa] is to set everything on fire and hope things get better, you'd rather someone with zero experience run the [nux/usa], you relentlessly insult and mock the people who disagree with you and accuse them of being shills, you delude yourselves with confirmation bias and parrot discredited narratives over and over on a website that you've turned into an angry echo chamber, and you use subtly racist words like how do you know I don't have ancestry from Crete?

3) Better players are already on their way. Boeser's a teenager who could already step into the top 6, Juolevi is like the safest bet for becoming a top pairing D out of all NHL prospects. The G and D and W positions are mostly set with loads of young talent. The C position is set with Hank, Bo, Butters, and Granny which is like having a 1C and three potential 2C's on any given night. What don't you like about the roster, what improvements do you want to see, and in what position? Because I don't understand your fascination with stockpiling draft picks at the expense of a winning culture when there aren't even spots for those picks. If we were to do as you suggest we would have too many young talented players competing for limited spots and we'd lose them on waivers for nothing while also destroying the winning environment so that the ones we don't lose to waivers miss out on the chance to rub shoulders with experienced veteran mentors and absorb their winning culture by osmosis. You strike me as someone who hasn't thought of all the complex dynamics involved in teambuilding, especially the aspects that aren't found in the NHL video games.

4) Sedins will be dead soon? Did you miss the WC? Did you miss last night's game? Here's what they can still do https://streamable.com/23bm and it looks like they've still got plenty left in the tank to me.

Great post!

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Because idiots like to smugly go "HUMPH, you don't see Gilman or the other hockey nerds getting jobs anywhere, amirite?"

giphy.gif

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Because it's a ****** way to treat a former guy who helped make this team great in the recent past? Or anyone for that matter? Like why do that? It's either spite or oversight, neither of which looks good on them (if it's true).
I think I'll wait and see if another source or two outside botch's little echo chamber of minions confirm this rumour before taking it to this level of conspiracy

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I don't like this rumor so I'm going to dismiss it. But if some random fool makes a tweet about Kassian, I'll believe it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad