Canucks Management and Ownership Thread v26.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I never said that I said the Sedins put up below average first line production.

If you're all going to foam at the mouth and jump all over every post I make because I don't blindly hate or throw juvenile insults at management every day at least read them.

I said Naslund's production was average for 1st liners because he was PPG. Henrik had a 0.9 ppg and Daniel had a 0.8 ppg. Go look at the data yourself and tell me they didn't cluster with the lowest tier of top line production.

But you predicated this with the following statement:

That's also making the assumption that there are 30 first line centers in the league at any given time.

My response was to the notion that this was an "assumption" rather than a mathematical truth. The top 30 scoring centres are what define what a "first line production" is. Without taking that into consideration how can you possibly say anything about production being high, low, or average? You can't without accepting that assumption first. You then complained about a cut off that unfairly defined a player as having "1st line production" or "2nd line production" by something as small as being 31st instead of 30th. Yet you make a similar distinction by defining Naslund as "average" and Henrik as "below average" by virtue of being 4 points or roughly 5% apart. Are you being any less unfair or are you simply defining them mathematically as I was?

At some point you have to make these distinctions based on something - percentiles being the most objective - and that's ok, since we also have brains that allow us to put those distinctions into the proper context.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Yeah that one still hurts. He was my favourite Canuck when he was here. The fact that we got one of my least favourite Canucks in recent years in return is salt in the wounds. And we threw in a pick just because. Getting rid of him and Shinkaruk for two fourth liners has caused me to not get attached to young players on this team anymore. I basically stopped watching the Comets entirely after the Shinkaruk trade and I was probably one of the more active AHL viewers here outside of the people who live in Utica.

Heh, Prust was all over the canucks marketing when he was first acquired... Yes, Canucks fans, we traded a fan favourite... but forget about him... here's your new fan favourite! Enjoy! Sorry Jimbo, doesn't work that way... If needed to be for success, and progress, fair enough... but for 3rd last in the league results, if you're getting rid of fan favourites and future hopefuls for low returns and ****** on-ice results, better have a thick skin.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Was not a big fan of kassian but still the cognitive dissonance involved in trading him for a guy like Prust while pushing the younger, meaner agenda is still surreal over a year later.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yeah that one still hurts. He was my favourite Canuck when he was here. The fact that we got one of my least favourite Canucks in recent years in return is salt in the wounds. And we threw in a pick just because. Getting rid of him and Shinkaruk for two fourth liners has caused me to not get attached to young players on this team anymore. I basically stopped watching the Comets entirely after the Shinkaruk trade and I was probably one of the more active AHL viewers here outside of the people who live in Utica.
Yeah, but if we didn't have Prust last year, we might not have... uh...

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
We're not revisiting the Sedin discussion, nor are we taking potshots at the parties involved in said discussion.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It's not going to be a one summer re-build. We are into year 3, waiting for the dinosaurs to die.

I've been praying for a meteor to hit Jim Benning's office for a while now, as I think that's the only way to get rid of a dinosaur.

I don't get it. Is Gudbranson hot garbage or is he a 5-6$ million dollar d man? You can't have it both ways.

Maybe Gudbranson is a 7 being marketed/sold to us as a 10 and ends up coming off as a 5 due to contract/assets taken to get him/etc.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't get it. Is Gudbranson hot garbage or is he a 5-6$ million dollar d man? You can't have it both ways.

Of course you can have it both ways. They're not mutually exclusive. Just look at Luca Sbisa as an example of that. He's hot garbage yet Benning gave him a $1.5M raise on his last contract. If he does the same with Gudbranson that puts him up to $5M. That's about what I expect, and it's a waste.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Kassian was not a fan favourite. Don't even see a lot of his jerseys around town. Unreal the glorification of a 4th line shlub with many sets of problems.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Outside of the Sedins, the three most popular players on the team were probably Bieksa, Lack, and Kassian ... and Benning managed to get rid of all 3 in one offseason for nothing. Quite a feat, actually.

I'm ok with Bieksa trade, I'll give it that much. He was turning into a very ineffective player, partly due to having to play with the pizza man, and his value was not high. But Benning managed to at least get a 2nd rounder, which is not bad.

Kass and Lack trades were absolutely horrible.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Outside of the Sedins, the three most popular players on the team were probably Bieksa, Lack, and Kassian ... and Benning managed to get rid of all 3 in one offseason for nothing. Quite a feat, actually.

Bieksa sure, but the other two flavour of the months... Meh. One ok season a fan favourite does not make. Jason King, all time fan favourite!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm ok with Bieksa trade, I'll give it that much. He was turning into a very ineffective player, partly due to having to play with the pizza man, and his value was not high. But Benning managed to at least get a 2nd rounder, which is not bad.

Kass and Lack trades were absolutely horrible.

The 'goodness' of the Bieksa trade is pretty much immediately invalidated by the throwing-in of that pick into the awful Sutter deal a couple weeks later.

But yeah, in a vacuum it was OK, I guess.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The 'goodness' of the Bieksa trade is pretty much immediately invalidated by the throwing-in of that pick into the awful Sutter deal a couple weeks later.

But yeah, in a vacuum it was OK, I guess.

Umm... they traded a predictably low 2nd round pick for a predictably high to mid 3rd round pick as part of the deal. They ended up moving 9 picks down. 55 to 64. Big whoop.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I don't see a trade happening, Canucks are loaded on the right side and have no room for Trouba in the top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad