Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose to the Kraken 5-2, Stay on the Wagon because we ain't Stopping!

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
haven’t seen tocch like this since his playing days

i hope this scares them straight because they’ve just turned their affable players' coach into the homicidal maniac he was when he played for the flyers

Good, I hope he puts the fear of God into them. They’ve been playing like wins are guaranteed every night and not putting in the work

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So many players on the Canuck, particularly in the bottom-six, have overachieved this season. Maybe the hockey gods are finally starting to kick in and some of these guys are finding their natural levels.

And it's becoming more than just a possibility that Mikheyev follows Kuzmenko out the door at the end of the season. They need far more from a winger earning $4.750m a season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
My recipe for our PP - shoot the f***ing puck.

We are overpassing it and looking for cute one timers or clean look wrist shots.

Get some muffins on net and crash for rebounds. Yeesh.

I don’t often say it but 5v5 they look way too cute, I agree with that. Need to shoot more.

PP I don’t even know what. Old priest, young priest, witch doctor, shaman, etc but really what they have to do is move. Switch spots, free associate, take what they give you.

Every so often our PP will go dry, and the issue always is the same - no movement. Really easy to defend when you don’t have to move maybe 10-15 feet when they go high to low. They seem content to just play pass around the horn. That is when they actually get zone entries, half the time we’re playing fetch.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
So many players on the Canuck, particularly in the bottom-six, have overachieved this season. Maybe the hockey gods are finally starting to kick in and some of these guys are finding their natural levels.

And it's becoming more than just a possibility that Mikheyev follows Kuzmenko out the door at the end of the season. They need far more from a winger earning $4.750m a season.

Since like January 1st had he not scored a point the rest of the season, you’d be happy with Laffertys offense. He’s got some company as well.

The team was never as good as we’ve been playing. It’s still a good team, but it’s not in the A tier of teams competing right now.

If you want to keep Lindy, we will have to lose Mikh. No 2 ways around it.

Reactions: David71

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Don't mean to harp on this, but when players can't string passes together, they're not going to win games. The amount of turn overs because of errant passing looked exactly like what saw at the beginning of last season.

Add onto this the lack of quality play by Boeser, Pettersson, Mikheyev and Lindholm and you're not going to win many games. Is being worn down mid season enough to turn this group back into a pumpkin so quickly? They seem to have completely lost that team cohesion that won them so many games. There are moments when they play like that, so it's not like they lack the capability, but dam they've strung together a lot of miserable efforts recently.

Reactions: God and sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Honestly what the hell do we do with the monstrosity that is Mikheyev right now? He had one shift in like the entire third period. Running into the playoffs with Loui Eriksson 2.0 at 4.75M is insane when we desperately need grit, sandpaper, and scoring depth. At this point I wish we kept Kuzmenko instead just so our PP has a formation
His skating is just completely gone right now...

This is EXACTLY why I was so outraged (and subsequently made fun of) by the handling of his knee injury last year.

That knee injury in pre-season destroyed his career. He was known for his speed and quick acceleration that lead him to many breakaways on end throughout his career. We are seeing none of that this season.

Shell of his former self.
Too soon to tell.

We wont know until the start of next year how his knee has recovered.

Obvious problem right now is our PP. It looks horrific and if we have momentum 5on5 our PP just kills it.

Also. We've kinda lost all of our scoring dept now. Lost Joshua to an injury and our formerly elite 3rd line now has Mikheyev tanking its play... Höglander got promoted. He was a real weapon scoring from the bottom six.

Shooting% have come back down to earth for our entire team.

Also our D apart from Quinn Hughes has come back down to earth too and its really showing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mriswith and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Mikheyev legitimately looking like Roussel post-injury rn but he wasn’t this bad at the start of the season… he was actually good even if the skating was roussel-y

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
An idea might be to drop Hoglander and put him with back down with Lafferty to rebalance our depth. If Petey Lindholm are going to suck, might as well move Hoglander away and see if he can destroy the favourable 4th line matchups again. Move Suter up with Petey or Miller because he’s usually a net zero or slightly positive and won’t hurt up there.

No idea what you do with Mikheyev. Is it time to see what we have in Podkolzin? There’s absolutely no point in watching Linus Karlsson…

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Quinn Hughes is easily in the midst of his toughest stretch of the season.....and that paring with Hronek is getting caved in, in the d-zone.

He's being forced to over-handle the puck while coping with an aggressive forecheck, and the turnovers are becoming a huge problem. Tocchet may be forced to split them up.

And the PP is now in a 1-27 funk. If if doesn't get turned around quick, they'll lose as many games as they win down the stretch.

Reactions: Play and calnuck

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
That knee injury in pre-season destroyed his career. He was known for his speed and quick acceleration that lead him to many breakaways on end throughout his career. We are seeing none of that this season.

Shell of his former self.
But apparently the Canucks medical staff is the issue. :laugh:

They are still tied for the best record in the league. All the back to back games are done and they play 15/23 at home. But hey let’s piss our pants because a dingbat ran this franchise for 8 years.

f***ing enjoy the present. Or don’t. Just bitch and bitch and bitch for the ultimate rebuild. I’m looking forward to the team playing in late April and perhaps June. It’s 30 years since Padraig created a great team only to get f***ed by Terry Gregson and two posts. People forget Marty also hit the post, besides Lafayette.

The gods owe us one.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I do see where those who are growing impatient or seeing red flags are coming from.

But I'm still confident the team will put out of this, just as I was in November or whatever when they went through that stretch of .500 hockey and lots of people on the outside (and some on the inside) thought the bubble had burst.

At the time, I blamed the schedule and I do again somewhat now save for the powerplay (because the problem here seems to be lack of planning, execution and effort rather than fatigue).

However, it is likely we've already seen our peak in the regular season because of how a lot of our depth has tailed off and it's hard to see all of them recovering. It's really funny how guys can go from very quality depth players to complete non-factors or even liabilities in a short period of time and it seems like it was ages ago that they were valuable contributors.

I think it'll be interesting to see what the coaching staff does from here on. It's been all roses for Tocchet so far in Vancouver, and deservedly so, but now we'll see if he can help pull this team out of it or if it'll be same old Canucks once again.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
In the PGT interview, coach called out attitude problems from the team...”4 or 5 guys with no shows”. Wtf is going on?

Reactions: quat

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Mikheyev legitimately looking like Roussel post-injury rn but he wasn’t this bad at the start of the season… he was actually good even if the skating was roussel-y

Not to derail this thread but how the hell did a grinder coming off a 20 point (pace) season get a 12M contract lol?

(rhetorical question, 'cause I know the answer is Jim Benning, but still)

The comparison is scarily apt, though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not to derail this thread but how the hell did a grinder coming off a 20 point (pace) season get a 12M contract lol?

(rhetorical question, 'cause I know the answer is Jim Benning, but still)

The comparison is scarily apt, though.

InTaNgIbLeS

At this point, we seriously need to consider paying to dump him at the deadline. We're rapidly approaching 30 games where he doesn't have a goal. This is Scott Gomez territory. Good defensive play doesn't mean jack if the entire line is little more than a cardio skate.

As for Hughes. I think a big factor in his lackluster play likely is both the sheer workload he's being tasked with and Hronek playing like absolute ass. I never in a million years thought I'd be genuinely suggesting Hughes/Myers but it might be worth doing just so teams can't zero in on both him and Hronek, which seems to be the strategy they're all doing now.

I'm also getting a little more worried about Lindholm. He's been.... fine but given the price we paid, you'd hope for better than "fine." I wonder if he'd have better chemistry with Miller but not Boeser. Granted, I'm loathe to put Pettersson and Boeser together when they're both in "Casual" mode but f*** it, let's gamble.

Hoglander - Lindholm - Miller
Garland - Pettersson - Boeser
Bains - Blueger - Suter
Who even cares

Last edited:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I have Hronek on my fantasy team so I love seeing him play big minutes with Hughes. But even I don’t get that pairing. It doesn’t work. The pairing lacks size and like others have said Hughes shouldn’t have to make up for Hroneks mistakes. Hughes should be able to have a defensive D with him that allows Hughes to focus more on offense.

Hughes - Myers
Cole - Hronek
Zadorov - Juulsen

Reactions: TruKnyte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad