Seravalli: Canucks looking to move Michael Ferland's contract

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He's already there. Which makes this news seem really odd.
Do you think it’s possible you’re just not recognizing why being in LTIR is not beneficial to the Canucks?

It seems fairly obvious it’s to get out of LTIR to protect against possible ELC bonuses to Kuzmenko and Podkolzin from rolling over to next seasons cap.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm looking at any stats to justify Holl being better than Myers or Schenn, and short of points, which we don't need, he's either similar or less than either. He has more PK time then Schenn, but even then, meh. There is nothing demonstrating he'd be better, or even more useful, then either of them in our top four. If you can point something out that I am overlooking, please point it out. Both are more physical, both can PK, Myers is a better puck mover than his stats showed last year due to us using he and OEL as shutdown players due to a lack of options, Schenn is a better fighter than any of our other guys, and I just don't see anything in Holl's game from my eye test that would justify having him in our top four. And our top four is an unbalanced mess. The same thing was said about Dermott, that he's better than our terrible RHD, and honestly he's just a cheaper replacement for Hamonic, who was not a good D for us.

So having to make cap space for him, sending a player to the minors or moving someone in a trade, makes no sense for us what so ever.

He actually plays a similar style to Myers but has just been a better impact player than him - and in similar big tough usage.

Schenn is just an ok bottom pair guy really. Not enough mobility for a top 4 guy.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Untitled-3.png
This caption and pic go together beautifully. It's smug and helpful at the same time...smugful.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Do you think it’s possible you’re just not recognizing why being in LTIR is not beneficial to the Canucks?

It seems fairly obvious it’s to get out of LTIR to protect against possible ELC bonuses to Kuzmenko and Podkolzin from rolling over to next seasons cap.
That makes more sense, but that seems like finding a team wanting to take on his LTIR contract (which as has been established was not insured due to Ferland's concussion history), even assuming a decent asset being attached (which contradicts a few direct quotes from earlier this summer) is not a need the you would really expect to find.

Saying to that we're looking to move him is like saying Ponce de Leon was looking for the fountain of youth.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He actually plays a similar style to Myers but has just been a better impact player than him - and in similar big tough usage.

Schenn is just an ok bottom pair guy really. Not enough mobility for a top 4 guy.
Myers gets a lot of crap for his contract, but he is an effective top four guy for us. Myers ISN'T that kind of big tough player though, at least that isn't his strength despite his size. He is more of a natural puck mover or offensive D, which we have out the wazoo, and is playing a shut down role simply due to being one of the least worst guys on our right side there, and being right handed. Of the two, he is the less physical of the two players listed.

Schenn should be an alright bottom six guy, which is the best I'd expect from Holl as well. His physical play is more then what Holl has brought to the table, and for that alone he's going to be slotted ahead of Holl if he was picked up. Plus proven chemistry with our top D goes a long way too, which I think is the only reason he hasn't dropped down to a 15ish minutes a night.

But again, Holl, to my eyes, isn't any better than these two. We have bottom pairing right side guys, even if Hughes is back to his natural left side. Poolman, Dermott, Burroughs and more down the depth chart not worth mentioning. We have been looking for a top four defensive minded RHD, someone to take Myers' 20+ minutes a night to bump him down to the 2nd pairing role. Failing that, someone to take the defensive responsibility away from Myers, who doesn't naturally handle that well, for the same 20+ minutes a night. Not a guy that is 7th, 8th or 9th on a teams depth chart to play above his pay grade. We have a lot of those.

The larger point being, we have 1.5 million in cap space, meaning taking Holl means we're losing some depth or flexibility, maybe even putting a player on waivers, or another trade will be forced to have a 23 man roster. That's a lot to put up with for a player that isn't, to my eye, an improvement in any category we need.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I wonder if the Ferland LTIR is somehow connected to the Bear trade talks with Carolina. They have the kind of owner that would be willing to swallow $2.75M in real money in order to allow their team to get an upgraded pick for Bear (in which case it'll be more like a 2023 second instead of a 2023 third).

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Damn. Still sad to see this is what happened with Micheal Ferland.

Though he hasn't been a Flame in quite some time, I still have a soft spot for Ferdaddy.
Absolutely loved him as a Flame.

OP should fix the title and spell his name correctly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad