Seravalli: Canucks looking to move Michael Ferland's contract

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes weird how it all played out. Traded twice type thing and and the first one falls through.

I guess we will see. If a team needs the LTIR space to keep a player or two that they don’t want to lose. Then maybe the team takes on the contract. Who knows.

Yes NOT INSURED
my guess is the owner does not like paying actually money. Oilers have the same problem with Klefbom. HIs contract was not insured

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
So essentially the ownership doesn't want to pay the salary and will sacrifice assets not to have to? No other team benefits gaining this contract.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Ethan Bear for Ferland's contract + 2024 1st + 2023 4th

Carolina is already using LTIR. They bought Marleau's contract a few years ago.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

carolina would buy a 1st rounder like that for sure. But I dont think Vancouver will be players in that market.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Leafs could use some LTIR space.

Canucks could use a RHD like Holl.
That's a good deal for the nucks. With Holl's contract expiring even if he backfires it's basically a no risk good reward type move.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hi Vancouver, long time. So we heard you might need to offload a contract
OEL has been done to death as a joke, but Myers/Pearson for assets or an actual asset being moved for an asset would work for us. Ferland doesn't need to be moved for cap reasons or anything, so eh.
Ferland to Vegas with a sweetener makes some sense. They could stand to recoup some assets and will be in LTIR anyways.
Nah, we don't have to move him, and our management hasn't wanted to move an asset to move a contract so far, so if he stays until year end...meh.
His name is OEL. We will take "future considerations".

Thanks.
I don't know if I'd want to kick OEL out yet, sunk assets and all.
Leafs could use some LTIR space.

Canucks could use a RHD like Holl.
We don't want, and can't afford Holl.
So essentially the ownership doesn't want to pay the salary and will sacrifice assets not to have to? No other team benefits gaining this contract.
Agreed. I don't see how this works as a rumour, as of course management/ownership would like to move him, but won't pay anyone to take his uninsured contract, so even to cover a cap floor team doesn't benefit. Unless a team drops huge amounts of cap in one trade and didn't think the floor though...I don't see this rumour going anyway.
Arizona will happily take Ferland off your hands for Vancouvers 2023 2nd + 2023 3rd.
Not a chance.

We can't afford Bear with Poolman not being on the LTIR, and we're not moving a first to move a player that means nothing to our cap situation, for a single more year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

you should. he'd pair nicely with Hughes.

that being said, after regaining my brain on cap issues, I realize that trading for Ferland doesn't actually benefit the leafs in any way so it would have be some other type of deal.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
OEL has been done to death as a joke, but Myers/Pearson for assets or an actual asset being moved for an asset would work for us. Ferland doesn't need to be moved for cap reasons or anything, so eh.

Nah, we don't have to move him, and our management hasn't wanted to move an asset to move a contract so far, so if he stays until year end...meh.

I don't know if I'd want to kick OEL out yet, sunk assets and all.

Agreed. I don't see how this works as a rumour, as of course management/ownership would like to move him, but won't pay anyone to take his uninsured contract, so even to cover a cap floor team doesn't benefit. Unless a team drops huge amounts of cap in one trade and didn't think the floor though...I don't see this rumour going anyway.

Not a chance.

We can't afford Bear with Poolman not being on the LTIR, and we're not moving a first to move a player that means nothing to our cap situation, for a single more year.
Bear for a 1st is insane even if
You attached Ferlands contract. Marleau cost was a 1st but he was also making more money.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
you should. he'd pair nicely with Hughes.

that being said, after regaining my brain on cap issues, I realize that trading for Ferland doesn't actually benefit the leafs in any way so it would have be some other type of deal.
Schenn pairs up well with Hughes. Hell, Myers pairs well with Hughes. Holl doesn't bring something we don't already have.

Bear for a 1st is insane even if
You attached Ferlands contract. Marleau cost was a 1st but he was also making more money.
Yeah, I don't get how that offer benefits the Canucks at all.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Schenn pairs up well with Hughes. Hell, Myers pairs well with Hughes. Holl doesn't bring something we don't already have.

Yeah he brings quality two way play at a spot you don't have any.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah he brings quality two way play at a spot you don't have any.
So keep him.

He's not bumping Schenn or Myers, and apparently we're still trying Hughes on the right side too. We don't need someone to fight for a spot in the pressbox with Burroughs and Poolman.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So keep him.

He's not bumping Schenn or Myers, and apparently we're still trying Hughes on the right side too. We don't need someone to fight for a spot in the pressbox with Burroughs and Poolman.

He's better than Schenn and Myers, so he would bump them.

We have to move him because there's a cap crunch and we have 6 more valuable dmen than him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He's better than Schenn and Myers, so he would bump them.

We have to move him because there's a cap crunch and we have 6 more valuable dmen than him.
No he's not. If he were better than either of them, Toronto fans wouldn't be so eager to dump him at what would be a magnificent cap hit for a top four D.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No he's not. If he were better than either of them, Toronto fans wouldn't be so eager to dump him at what would be a magnificent cap hit for a top four D.

Leafs' D is stacked with 6 guys with top pair talent. Half of them on cheaper deals than Holl, and he's the only one in the final year of his deal.

Sucks to lose him but there's zero cap wiggle room to keep him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs' D is stacked with 6 guys with top pair talent. Half of them on cheaper deals than Holl, and he's the only one in the final year of his deal.

Sucks to lose him but there's zero cap wiggle room to keep him.
I'm looking at any stats to justify Holl being better than Myers or Schenn, and short of points, which we don't need, he's either similar or less than either. He has more PK time then Schenn, but even then, meh. There is nothing demonstrating he'd be better, or even more useful, then either of them in our top four. If you can point something out that I am overlooking, please point it out. Both are more physical, both can PK, Myers is a better puck mover than his stats showed last year due to us using he and OEL as shutdown players due to a lack of options, Schenn is a better fighter than any of our other guys, and I just don't see anything in Holl's game from my eye test that would justify having him in our top four. And our top four is an unbalanced mess. The same thing was said about Dermott, that he's better than our terrible RHD, and honestly he's just a cheaper replacement for Hamonic, who was not a good D for us.

So having to make cap space for him, sending a player to the minors or moving someone in a trade, makes no sense for us what so ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad