Seravalli: Canucks looking to move Michael Ferland's contract

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Canucks want to collect cap space this time now that they know that Poolman can play this season. They'll likely trade Ferland's LTIRetirement to some club like Vegas or Tampa that is using LTIR to get under the cap.
I know there is an explanation that I don't understand but damn this cap maneuvering is bonkers. We need cap space but teams over the cap need LTIR to get under the cap this is weird indeed.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I know there is an explanation that I don't understand but damn this cap maneuvering is bonkers. We need cap space but teams over the cap need LTIR to get under the cap this is weird indeed.
Adding LTIR to get under the cap only works if you trade a contract of a healthy player for a LTIR contract. LTIR doesnt magically bring you down to the cap ceiling.

Vancouver doesnt necessarily need space but I think they want the ability to accumulate cap space over the year. That way they can add a good player at the deadline if they want. And JR sure will choose to.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

LTIR can lower your cap hit but not below the max cap. So you can't build up cap space because the cap space is not just 80 million. It's calculated daily so if you are below max cap, you can build up some savings.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ferland’s contract was not insured. Has been a big discussion point when he signed. It’s real money not just 20% that is typically required by the team to cover it with insurance covering the other 80%. $2.75 mill in salary.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
coyote.gif

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Ferland to Vegas with a sweetener makes some sense. They could stand to recoup some assets and will be in LTIR anyways.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Ferland to Vegas with a sweetener makes some sense. They could stand to recoup some assets and will be in LTIR anyways.
Not sure about a sweetener. Vegas might actually need the move just to get under the cap. They gave up a decent player for Weber and his 8+ million of LTIR.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Damn. Still sad to see this is what happened with Micheal Ferland.

Though he hasn't been a Flame in quite some time, I still have a soft spot for Ferdaddy.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Reading the transcript, the media continues to do a terrible job with LTIR. What is he talking about with regards to the comment about a team already in LTIR getting a "boost?" The implication of his scenarios is that a team benefits by acquiring Ferland's contract (i.e. creates artificial cap space).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not sure about a sweetener. Vegas might actually need the move just to get under the cap. They gave up a decent player for Weber and his 8+ million of LTIR.
Vegas has about 14 mil on LTIR (Weber, Lehner and Patrick) and they are a little over 10 mil over the cap. They are fine cap-wise.

Adding Ferland wouldn't change their cap situation unless they send someone who isn't on LTIR the other way.

Reactions: Nucker42

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs could use some LTIR space.

Canucks could use a RHD like Holl.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Given that Vegas paid a 2nd to trade Dadonov to the Ducks before the NTC fiasco, I don't think that general mangers valued that decent player as highly as you do.
Yes weird how it all played out. Traded twice type thing and and the first one falls through.

I guess we will see. If a team needs the LTIR space to keep a player or two that they don’t want to lose. Then maybe the team takes on the contract. Who knows.

first question

is it insured?
Yes NOT INSURED

Reactions: Joel Ward

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Hi Vancouver, long time. So we heard you might need to offload a contract
LTIR.

Reading the transcript, the media continues to do a terrible job with LTIR. What is he talking about with regards to the comment about a team already in LTIR getting a "boost?" The implication of his scenarios is that a team benefits by acquiring Ferland's contract (i.e. creates artificial cap space).
correct. but bc it’s uninsured they will have to outlay real dollars, not just Stanley Nickels.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Vegas cleared cap that they were willing to trade a 2nd to move. Vegas doesn't have to make a move to get under the cap, they're around 10 mil over the cap with just under 13 mil in season-long LTIR.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Vegas cleared cap that they were willing to trade a 2nd to move. Vegas doesn't have to make a move to get under the cap, they're around 10 mil over the cap with just under 13 mil in season-long LTIR.
It's ok we don't need much. One Hague will do. Heck we might even throw in a 5th. I'll have my people call your people and we can get this done in no time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad