Rumor: Canucks looking at Long Term deal for Hughes; Bridge for Pettersson

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Stop with this Cathy Newman crap, “so you’re saying”. I said what I said. He had a worse season than Tyson Barrie so you will keep seeing that and he’s only going to look worse if you take a peek at the canucks right side defence with Hamonic being their #2.

I’d take Quinn Hughes over your shit player any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Barrie sucks and has no room to improve, he is who he is and that’s a mediocre player who’s running a leathal PP with two of the best players in the world.

Now please, stop referring to Quinn as a Barrie comparable, you’re just embarrassing yourself.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like Hughes, and I personally want to see him in Vancouver for a large part of his career. I'm not going to get into the other factors around this team building project, but coming in and telling people to suck it up and accept mediocrity for their team is annoying at best and condescending at worst. There are a number of talented players, sure, but every team in the league has talented players. That's not the goal, the goal is to win. And I would say that while QH has not made pointed comments like Pettersson has, I think that Pettersson is well within his rights to be skeptical about the future of the team and its ability to be anywhere close to contention soon, and to at least factor into his thinking personal success during his career

I follow the Devils. I'm hardly mocking you or Vancouver fans. Nor am I being patronizing. If that's how you took my comments, my apologies. My point is that, to me, hockey teams can't be turned around that quickly. A football team can take on a new life in roughly two years with good coaching and drafting and value free agents. The structure in hockey doesn't seem to allow for that. Part of it is the age of the draftees and the length and guarantee of contracts as well. I'm just as disappointed that NJ has been awful for years now. That said, I try to focus on what I hope is the team understanding what it needs to do in order to get better. It's just a slow process. Again, I wasn't trying to be upsetting, maybe just numb to the years of losing?

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
I follow the Devils. I'm hardly mocking you or Vancouver fans. Nor am I being patronizing. If that's how you took my comments, my apologies. My point is that, to me, hockey teams can't be turned around that quickly. A football team can take on a new life in roughly two years with good coaching and drafting and value free agents. The structure in hockey doesn't seem to allow for that. Part of it is the age of the draftees and the length and guarantee of contracts as well. I'm just as disappointed that NJ has been awful for years now. That said, I try to focus on what I hope is the team understanding what it needs to do in order to get better. It's just a slow process. Again, I wasn't trying to be upsetting, maybe just numb to the years of losing?
Yeah fair enough, my bad. I think with the Canucks it's just the madness of letting the same people make the same mistakes every year, without learning or reflection. I'd feel better with the losing if we just let someone else try, just to see if something else might work

Reactions: Stubu and My3Sons

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
I’d take Quinn Hughes over your shit player any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Barrie sucks and has no room to improve, he is who he is and that’s a mediocre player who’s running a leathal PP with two of the best players in the world.

Now please, stop referring to Quinn as a Barrie comparable, you’re just embarrassing yourself.
The Hughes trio as a whole looks to be complete busts/disasters with Quinn being able to right his career and stats with a stable d partner. As for this past season, Barrie was better both offensively and defensively, there’s no ifs ands or buts to that. It’s funny watching people get emotional over players they’ve clearly haven’t seen play that much lol.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah fair enough, my bad. I think with the Canucks it's just the madness of letting the same people make the same mistakes every year, without learning or reflection. I'd feel better with the losing if we just let someone else try, just to see if something else might work

That's the worst part and I get that. Plenty of NJ fans were skeptical of Shero turning the team around. He failed and was let go. I'm not sure what ownership sees in the current Vancouver management.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Deer in headlights is apt for him and his defensive play especially 5v5. I’ve seen so many players on the Oilers own him and made him look like a mess on the ice. As with other teams.

The only thing he has is age but he’s not going to get any better playing with whoever is on the right side of their defence.

He has 2 seasons under his belt and is 21yrs old so yes age is a HUUUUGGGE factor as well as the sophomore slump due to having to deal with being a target by other teams and how many minutes he plays and played.

The 20/21 version of Canucks was a complete mess with Pettersson out and no scoring depth. Hughes is at his best in transition and on offense. When you are getting territorial outplayed and worked down low in the defensive zone and chasing the game this results in a player like Quinn not being in good situations to use his best attributes.

Do you think this will be his future forever or would you agree many of these factors should be negated by forward depth, his team not being devastated by Covid, having Pettersson return, time to gel with a defensive partner and experience?

I cannot disagree more with your statement he's not gonna get better? Is Evan Bouchard never going to get better? He's 21 that's a horrible take.

Reactions: flying v 604

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
He has 2 seasons under his belt and is 21yrs old so yes age is a HUUUUGGGE factor as well as the sophomore slump due to having to deal with being a target by other teams and how many minutes he plays and played.

The 20/21 version of Canucks was a complete mess with Pettersson out and no scoring depth. Hughes is at his best in transition and on offense. When you are getting territorial outplayed and worked down low in the defensive zone and chasing the game this results in a player like Quinn not being in good situations to use his best attributes.

Do you think this will be his future forever or would you agree many of these factors should be negated by forward depth, his team not being devastated by Covid, having Pettersson return, time to gel with a defensive partner and experience?

I cannot disagree more with your statement he's not gonna get better? Is Evan Bouchard never going to get better? He's 21 that's a horrible take.
Don’t misquote me.

The only thing he has is age but he’s not going to get any better playing with whoever is on the right side of their defence.
You say sophomore slump, I say Tanev got traded. Tell me how he’s going to get better when his partners are all 3rd pairing defencemen?

Hughes - Hamonic
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Poolman

Reactions: Peen

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Don’t misquote me.

You say sophomore slump, I say Tanev got traded. Tell me how he’s going to get better when his partners are all 3rd pairing defencemen?

Hughes - Hamonic
OEL - Myers
Rathbone - Poolman
You literally just dismissed all the points i made and are using his loss of Tanev as a reason for him never improving?

Reactions: flying v 604

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
You literally just dismissed all the points i made and are using his loss of Tanev as a reason for him never improving?
Yes I dismissed your post because you can’t seem to comprehend that you’re misrepresenting what I’ve said. I said that he won’t get any better because of who he’s playing with, no 3rd pairing defencemen is going to help him get to the next level. You’re saying shit like “you think this will be his future forever”, then you’re somehow trying to equate that to me saying that he’ll never get better and attribute that same thought to Bouchard. You don’t make an argument over a ghost.

Reactions: TML1990

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
A Detroit offer sheet of 3 years, $10.27 mil AAV (upper end of two 1sts, one 2nd, one 3rd comp) would be really interesting. They’d have a legit shot at the Nucks not matching. I believe, even once Ferland is LTIRed, the Nucks only have ~$14.17 mil cap space? Petey at $10.27 mil AAV would leave them with only $3.9 mil cap space, not close to enough to sign Hughes.

Detroit would never do that.

I don't understand the disconnect on things like this.

Let's take a gm who owns a players rights. Market value on a 3 year bridge for a player like Petersson is around 7.5 mil.

Imagine a gm who owned the players rights payed a 3x7.5 mil player 3x10.2

That would be horrible, right? Fans would be calling for that gm to be fired, right? The whole league would be confused, right? The gm probably WOULD be fired, right? Ok. Now add in the loss of two first round picks into the equation.

It doesn't make any sense. It would ruin internal cap comparables when Detroits rfa's need new contracts. And that's not even considering the picks.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The Hughes trio as a whole looks to be complete busts/disasters with Quinn being able to right his career and stats with a stable d partner. As for this past season, Barrie was better both offensively and defensively, there’s no ifs ands or buts to that. It’s funny watching people get emotional over players they’ve clearly haven’t seen play that much lol.

The Hughes trio as a whole looks to be complete busts? Praise the lord for Tyson Barrie and his Bobby Orr skill set!

Your evaluation of hockey players is as good as Barrie’s defensive game or Edmonton’s goalie situation… laughable/mediocre/utter and complete joke.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes I dismissed your post because you can’t seem to comprehend that you’re misrepresenting what I’ve said. I said that he won’t get any better because of who he’s playing with, no 3rd pairing defencemen is going to help him get to the next level. You’re saying shit like “you think this will be his future forever”, then you’re somehow trying to equate that to me saying that he’ll never get better and attribute that same thought to Bouchard. You don’t make an argument over a ghost.
Alright lets try and be clear then....To quote you said..

He is a "deer in the headlights" to which i say he is 21 and will improve as he gets more experience and a better team to make use of his skillset.

"The only thing he has is age" to which is say....That is a HUUUGGGE factor as well as the circumstances he had to endure in his 2nd season.

"he's not going to get better with whoever is on the right side" to which is say.....You are overrating the loss of Tanev and also dismissing what a chance to gel with a partner, a healthy team and improved forward group can do as well for his performance.

Thinking that this will be a static thing where year after year Quinn or his partner or both cannot improve is absolutely insane.

How many of the top100 defenseman in the NHL had their best overall seasons at 20/21 yrs old?

Do you think Bouchard will improve overall as a defenseman as he is the same age and do you think who he plays with will ever change if it's not working out?

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
Alright lets try and be clear then....To quote you said..

He is a "deer in the headlights" to which i say he is 21 and will improve as he gets more experience and a better team to make use of his skillset.

"The only thing he has is age" to which is say....That is a HUUUGGGE factor as well as the circumstances he had to endure in his 2nd season.

"he's not going to get better with whoever is on the right side" to which is say.....You are overrating the loss of Tanev and also dismissing what a chance to gel with a partner, a healthy team and improved forward group can do as well for his performance.

Thinking that this will be a static thing where year after year Quinn or his partner or both cannot improve is absolutely insane.

How many of the top100 defenseman in the NHL had their best overall seasons at 20/21 yrs old?

Do you think Bouchard will improve overall as a defenseman as he is the same age and do you think who he plays with will ever change if it's not working out?
1st bold: Again, you’re misquoting me. I said last season he was a deer in headlights and it was true as he was getting curb stomped 5v5.

2nd: Duh

3rd: How is Hamonic, Poolman or Myers going to help his game on the right side this season? Top to bottom they’re 3rd pairing defencemen lol. He needed to be babysat defensively which Tanev was clearly good at.

4th: Yes, Bouchard plays the right side and can learn a lot from the defencemen playing on the left side. He was training with nurse in Ontario over the summer.

Reactions: TML1990

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
The Hughes trio as a whole looks to be complete busts? Praise the lord for Tyson Barrie and his Bobby Orr skill set!

Your evaluation of hockey players is as good as Barrie’s defensive game or Edmonton’s goalie situation… laughable/mediocre/utter and complete joke.

I don't like our goalie situation (too unstable), but they were 7th overall last year in save %...........That means we have a lot of shittier duos in this league going into the season..

I also think Hughes looked like a tire fire defensively, but his bread and butter is offense. He had a golf green jacket in plus minus. I don't see him improving much on the defensive side overall. He is too small. Just need a steady partner to play with him and let him flourish.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I don't like our goalie situation (too unstable), but they were 7th overall last year in save %...........That means we have a lot of shittier duos in this league going into the season..

I also think Hughes looked like a tire fire defensively, but his bread and butter is offense. He had a golf green jacket in plus minus. I don't see him improving much on the defensive side overall. He is too small. Just need a steady partner to play with him and let him flourish.

Whoever is basing arguments off of stats in a COVID season with bogus divisions is in for a major disappointment.

Quinn Hughes isn’t a stud defensively and that’s not why he was drafted for at 7th overall. Now, they do have to find him a partner and the kid is still super young, so he has room to learn that aspect of the game with time.

I don’t know why people write off kids after a bad season, like it’s going to dictate the remaining 10+ years of their careers.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Wow, just checked this thread to see if there was anything interesting and the first thing I see is someone trying to push a Barrie = Hughes comparable.

The season can’t start soon enough!
You missed the Garland Danault argument that took up a few pages starting around the 8th page

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Looks like they aren't close at all

Kampen mot klockan: ”Har svårt att hitta det”

JP Barry interview in a Swedish Paper today.

"I can't say we're getting any closer. Right now we're waiting for their reaction to a suggestion we've made. We're talking to each other, but the opinions on what the contract should look like differ."

"Money and term goes hand in hand and right now we can't seem to agree on either one of them."

"He (Elias) is cool. Of course he's continuously getting information on what's happening and right now he's just preparing as good as he can for the season."

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton

"I can't say we're getting any closer. Right now we're waiting for their reaction to a suggestion we've made. We're talking to each other, but the opinions on what the contract should look like differ."

"Money and term goes hand in hand and right now we can't seem to agree on either one of them."

"He (Elias) is cool. Of course he's continuously getting information on what's happening and right now he's just preparing as good as he can for the season."
Do you think we get a repeat of Nylander during his negotiations and subsequent play after signing that late in the season?

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver

My understanding is that Pettersson is already in Vancouver. Horvat and Boeser were signed to their contracts during camp as well, if memory serves. I don't see any reason why a deal won't get done. If the season is starting and Pettersson or Hughes are still out, then it'll be a concern. Until then, it's all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016

If you honestly think Tyson Barrie is even in the same conversation as Quinn Hughes then there's serious questions about your ability to judge players.

That's not evening considering your "Hughes brothers are busts" assessment.

They seriously need to look at the water quality in Edmonton.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
My understanding is that Pettersson is already in Vancouver. Horvat and Boeser were signed to their contracts during camp as well, if memory serves. I don't see any reason why a deal won't get done. If the season is starting and Pettersson or Hughes are still out, then it'll be a concern. Until then, it's all sound and fury signifying nothing.
Ep40 took off to Michigan to train with Hughes and a bunch of other guys. He came and then left quickly.

It's all just a game. They will both be signed before the season starts. Not much to worry about.

I would only worry about the fact that he might not want to sign long term there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad