Rumor: Canucks looking at Long Term deal for Hughes; Bridge for Pettersson

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
More like Petterson doesn't want to commit long term with the Canucks.

Shocking!

giphy (3) (12).gif

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ideally I would do it the other way around. But might be a case of necessity. I would be hesitant to extend Hughes longterm in light of what other DMen got this offseason, but if they can get him at around the Chabot contract I'd be more on board.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Makes sense. Pettersson is going to maximize his next contract as he's going to be one of the top centers and those guys will cash in.
Getting Hughes locked up will be cheaper and fits the cap space they have left.

Reactions: flying v 604

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes sense. Pettersson is going to maximize his next contract as he's going to be one of the top centers and those guys will cash in.
Getting Hughes locked up will be cheaper and fits the cap space they have left.
Overall career earnings would probably be better maximized by signing a ufa year or two now.
Like with Couturier and Landeskog who got max term when they begin those deals at 29 and 28, with late birthdays.

I would preferably lean more to term with Petey and bridge to Hughes. Canucks have close to $16 mill factoring in the Ferland ltir. Aho deal for 5 years at $8.5 should work.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
8 years on Hughes makes sense depending on what the ask is. For Pettersson I would almost prefer a bridge, if played right it could ensure better team control through his prime even if the contract rate isn’t quite as favourable.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
What concerns me is that if there isn’t enough cap space to go long term with each player, they must be asking for a LOT of money haha. I think he have just over 16mil to spend on them, I would have liked to think that could get it done.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
A Sens fan saying this lol.

Can you guys stop bickering. Your teams are all terrible. :laugh:

Jokes aside, seriously relax guys, it could also be that EP feels that he’s not getting the money he’s worth because of last seasons. So a 2 year bridge deal could allow him ample time to show he’s worth more.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If Petey is on his way out, they should ship him and Hughes to NJ for a boatload back. NJ might jump at the chance of the Hughes trio.

Hischier, Smith, etc,etc, etc going the other way

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad