Rumor: Canucks interested in F Zachary Aston-Reese (Bridesmaids. Signed with Pittsburgh.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is it just me or has Caggiula not been that good since he came to NHL?

I mean Stecher is certainly having more success (and points lol) than him.

He has fared pretty well has he not? Pretty much came as advertised. Realistically, he was projected as a potential 3rd line guy.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Caggiula is also a rookie. Not all productive rookies step into top six forward or top four defensive responsibilities right away. Those are quite rare. I'd gather the Oilers are quite happy with Caggiula to this stage.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Caggiula is also a rookie. Not all productive rookies step into top six forward or top four defensive responsibilities right away. Those are quite rare. I'd gather the Oilers are quite happy with Caggiula to this stage.

He has fared pretty well has he not? Pretty much came as advertised. Realistically, he was projected as a potential 3rd line guy.

OK fair enough.

I only brought it up because some scouts in the media were saying he's a lot like Brad Marchand.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I was expecting a little more from caggiula tbh.
Like vesey level id say.

I think most projected him to be a 3rd liner tho while Vesey was mostly projected as top 6. Reason there was so much interest in Vesey (that and the fact he became a UFA in Aug instead of March where there's a flood of NCAA grads).

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
sucks. He is a 3rd line grinder at best. A lot of his production this year is playing alongside 2future. NHLErs in Gaudette and Sikura. Northeastern streamed all their games for free this year and I paid attention because of Gaudette so I saw a lot of ZAR.

He is a slow skating grinder but w good IQ and decent hands around the net. A lot of his goals came by out.muscling the opponent. iMO his game won't translate in the NHL.

I thought Caguilla was a way better prospects last year and even his game isn't translating so much in the NHL.

My NHL comparison for him is Brandon Prust

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
He is just the new shiny toy that most HFers haven't even seen play once .

I think if he was a drafted player , teams wouldn't even give up a 5th rnd pick to trade for him.

There's no dynamics in his game that will translate in NHL like it did for Stecher.

I get it tho .. free prospect... I just don't feel it warrants the hype.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
sucks. He is a 3rd line grinder at best. A lot of his production this year is playing alongside 2future. NHLErs in Gaudette and Sikura. Northeastern streamed all their games for free this year and I paid attention because of Gaudette so I saw a lot of ZAR.

He is a slow skating grinder but w good IQ and decent hands around the net. A lot of his goals came by out.muscling the opponent. iMO his game won't translate in the NHL.

I thought Caguilla was a way better prospects last year and even his game isn't translating so much in the NHL.

My NHL comparison for him is Brandon Prust

This is why people need to temper their expectation with any NCAA signing. Not all make it. Other top signings from the past: Matt Gilroy, Antoine Laganiere, Stephane Da Costa, have all busted. Meanwhile others like Bozak, Tanev, have worked out.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He is just the new shiny toy that most HFers haven't even seen play once .

I think if he was a drafted player , teams wouldn't even give up a 5th rnd pick to trade for him.

There's no dynamics in his game that will translate in NHL like it did for Stecher.

I get it tho .. free prospect... I just don't feel it warrants the hype.

Yeah this is why I'm not too concerned about it if we don't land him - virtually all the scouting reports see him as a 3rd liner with good hands who lacks speed. At 23, I don't expect him to get much faster either.

Problem is, if you want to be a good 3rd line grinder you have to be fast...

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
This isn't a big deal either way other than an added lottery ticket. I hope wherever he lands that fans aren't pencilling him on future lineups since there is still a low probability of a successful nhl career.

The fact that zar didn't put big numbers in his freshman or sophomore years likely suggests he's not going to be a big producer at the next level. A lot of juniors/seniors rack up points simply as a result of the development advantages they have over 18/19 year olds.

I find college defenseman have the most untapped upside since its a position with a lot of late bloomers. A 21 year old junior defenseman can be night and day from when they were 17 and playing junior b. I would be targeting college defenseman every year since a lot of good ones fall through the cracks at 17/18 for various reasons.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Anyone remember Evan Oberg?

Anyways, a free asset is nothing to complain about if there's potential. I do hope we sign Aston though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Anyone remember Evan Oberg?

Anyways, a free asset is nothing to complain about if there's potential. I do hope we sign Aston though.

Evan Oberg himself may not have panned out, but he was moved in a trade deadline deal that brought us several years of 30-40 point production from one Chris Higgins. So I would call his signing a pretty solid win for the Canucks.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Get errr done Benning!

I think it goes without saying that I'd be absolutely THRILLED if we landed Aston-Reese.

I would be happy because he's tracking well. With that being said its not like ZAR will be, or projected to be a top 6 player. If he makes the NHL it will be in a bottom pairing role.

Let's not get hung up on a 3rd/4th liner JUST BECAUSE he's the flavour of the week.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Evan Oberg himself may not have panned out, but he was moved in a trade deadline deal that brought us several years of 30-40 point production from one Chris Higgins. So I would call his signing a pretty solid win for the Canucks.

Evan oberg still turned into a solid ahl player which is the likely outcome for most college signings. Canucks have been spoiled with tanev and stecher but most end up with careers similar to oberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad