Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Doug Jarvis as assistant coach

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not sure how a guy with that much NHL experience and Stanley Cup rings will work beside a guy like Desjardins who is a inexperienced NHL coach.

Hopefully well. WillieD could use all the experienced help he can get. It's also not as though Jarvis has some long NHL head coaching resume...he's just a highly experienced assistant, which seems like a great fit for a less experienced (albeit very old) HC like Willie.

94eleven

fka Loosemonkeys
Dec 29, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Was the head coach for Hamilton when I was there. Had a lot of respect from the players and always seemed incredibly knowledgable to me. Was very business like but still worked well with the younger players and with kind of an odd situation (had a couple Stars players that year despite being the Canadiens farm team). I think it's a great hire.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good hire. Like him more than Cameron or Acton. Was my #1 choice among the candidates that the Province listed. How could you not like the ironman and his 6 Cups? But his past work running the PP is the other reason.

Another "familiar" connection (Boston). It seems this management group really emphasize personnel and players with whom they or the coaching staff have history with.

True. But isn't that how it works in the real word? I'm not talking about nepotism. If you have coached a player before and you think he's great and if you're an assistant GM and think an assistant coach did a good job, aren't these important references?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Listened to his interview on 1040. Said all the right things and seems like a home run signing given the other options.

Definitely better than the others. Send like one of Benning's better hires. If green here the head coaching job he would be the sort of guy you could keep around.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Meh. His playing career means about as much as Gretzky's or Lowe's did when it comes to coaching.

Assistant coaches are different from head coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Good hire, lots of experience. Not everyone wants to be a head coach,so hiring Jarvis is a great move so there is someone to help Green when he takes over.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
so do we know that he is going to be a PP coach?

because if he was in charge of the 2011 bruins' powerplay, he has some splainin to do.

but as i said earlier, on paper i love this hire. proven track record and cut from the cloth of very successful coaches and assistant coaches raised in the habs system-- jacques lemaire, jacques laperriere, bob gainey. winners, leaders, team-builders, and the kinds of guys that turn a lazy sissy '93 modano into 1999 cup winning all-round beast modano.

DyerMaker66*

Don't really know much about him to be honest, any take on this?

Great coach. Loved when he handled the Bulldogs. I thought he should've been hired as the Habs coach over Carbonneau.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Good hire. Like him more than Cameron or Acton. Was my #1 choice among the candidates that the Province listed. How could you not like the ironman and his 6 Cups? But his past work running the PP is the other reason.

True. But isn't that how it works in the real word? I'm not talking about nepotism. If you have coached a player before and you think he's great and if you're an assistant GM and think an assistant coach did a good job, aren't these important references?

sure, but benning has shown that he cant do this in moderation, and instead has ****ed up repeatedly. he'd get better results hiring with some dice

that said, i cant think of any real complaints about jarvis. well-respected around the league (which is mostly meaningless, but useful that it implies not disrespected), maybe a bit old? but he probably wont be here for more than 4-5 years so whatever

doesnt have a history of explicit racism, so this signing is basically a guaranteed step up from adessa, at least!

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Sedins need to realize though that the goals can't always just be tap ins.

lol agreed that future HOFers need to learn things like "not all hockey goals can be tap-ins". maybe we should do a kickstarter to pass this information a long?

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
At first I thought this was an incredible signing, but then I remembered that Benning signed him so he must be awful.

*digs through 20 years worth of advanced stats to downplay Jarvis' career"

Oh yeah, those Selke numbers wouldn't match up today when today's Selke winners average 2 more points per year !!

JA

We must have the oldest bench in the NHL.
Anaheim Ducks:

Head Coach: Randy Carlyle - 60 years old
Assistant Coach: Rich Preston - 64 years old
Assistant Coach: Paul MacLean - 58 years old
Assistant Coach: Trent Yawney - 50 years old

Average age = 58 years old

Chicago Blackhawks:

Head Coach: Joel Quenneville - 57 years old
Assistant Coach: Mike Kitchen - 60 years old
Assistant Coach: Kevin Dineen - 52 years old

Average age: 56 years old

Minnesota Wild:

Head Coach: Bruce Boudreau - 61 years old
Assistant Coach: John Anderson - 59 years old
Assistant Coach: Scott Stevens - 52 years old
Assistant Coach: Darby Hendrickson - 43 years old

Average age = 54 years old

St. Louis Blues:

Head Coach: Ken Hitchcock - 64 years old
Assistant Coach: Rick Wilson - 65 years old
Assistant Coach: Ray Bennett - 54 years old
Assistant Coach: Mike Yeo - 42 years old

Average age = 56 years old

Vancouver Canucks:

Head Coach: Willie Desjardins - 58 years old
Assistant Coach: Perry Pearn - 65 years old
Assistant Coach: Doug Jarvis - 61 years old
Assistant Coach: Doug Lister - 55 years old

Average age = 59 years old

There are a lot of older coaches in the NHL. Jarvis isn't that old. Most of the current NHL head coaches are in their mid-to-late 50s, and there are many older assistants.

JA

So...yes?
Sure, but nobody is lamenting the loss of the youngest member of last year's coaching staff, Glen Gulutzan. If we would have retained him, the average age of the coaching staff would have been 55. I think the coaching staff is better now than it was three weeks ago even though the average has been pushed up to 59. In this case, with age comes valuable experience. Unlike Willie Desjardins, who is old but inexperienced, Doug Jarvis is a very accomplished individual with twenty-four years of coaching experience at the NHL level.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
sure, but benning has shown that he cant do this in moderation, and instead has ****ed up repeatedly. he'd get better results hiring with some dice

How so? He hired Weisbrod because he worked with him. There's no evidence that his work has been detrimental to the Canucks' fortunes. He hired Jarvis because he has experience with him and he has a good resume. He acquired a few players according to Willie's recommendations that was backed up from his own scouting.

How is it different from Poile, Nill, Yzerman etc. pouching from their former teams? How is that different from Gillis hiring Gilman (whom Gillis said would hire as his assistant GM if he ever became GM long before Gillis became GM), Melanson (who AV vouched for), and Gillis acquiring players like Ballard based on Crawford and Bowness' recommendations, and Lapierre (who played under AV in juniors).

How has Benning (insert swear word) repeatedly?

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Sure, but nobody is lamenting the loss of the youngest member of last year's coaching staff, Glen Gulutzan. If we would have retained him, the average age of the coaching staff would have been 55. I think the coaching staff is better now than it was three weeks ago even though the average has been pushed up to 59. In this case, with age comes valuable experience. Unlike Willie Desjardins, who is old but inexperienced, Doug Jarvis is a very accomplished individual with twenty-four years of coaching experience at the NHL level.

rjl didn't lament anything. he made an educated guess and you agreed with him after providing more info

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
How so? He hired Weisbrod because he worked with him. There's no evidence that his work has been detrimental to the Canucks' fortunes. He hired Jarvis because he has experience with him and he has a good resume. He acquired a few players according to Willie's recommendations that was backed up from his own scouting.

How is it different from Poile, Nill, Yzerman etc. pouching from their former teams? How is that different from Gillis hiring Gilman (whom Gillis said would hire as his assistant GM if he ever became GM long before Gillis became GM), Melanson (who AV vouched for), and Gillis acquiring players like Ballard based on Crawford and Bowness' recommendations, and Lapierre (who played under AV in juniors).

How has Benning (insert swear word) repeatedly?

i responded to you in good faith but my post disappeared so we'll just agree to disagree

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Good resume, interesting hire.

Just wild speculation, but he certainly seems like somebody who could take over should a coaching change be deemed necessary next season.

JA

rjl didn't lament anything. he made an educated guess and you agreed with him after providing more info
I never implied that RJL was upset with Gulutzan's departure. I simply expanded upon the notion that the increased average age of the Canucks' coaching staff benefits the club in this case. The coaching staff has been too inexperienced over the past two seasons; of the Canucks' coaching staff members during that period, only Perry Pearn could legitimately be considered to be an NHL veteran until now.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Seems to me like the best of the candidates they were reportedly looking at. Tons of experience, so that shouldn't hurt here.

The stuff in that article about "shoot the puck always" on the PP, and "not making that extra pass" will be an interesting fit with the Sedins though. :laugh:

Have to imagine that philosophy is going to be somewhat adjusted when it comes to the Twins running that Top-PP Unit.

I would be overjoyed if he could convince them to do that. It's been driving me crazy for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad