Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Doug Jarvis as assistant coach

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Cant really complain about the hire but it's gonna be harder to remove Benning's guys than all the Sioux imagery at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
wow, doug jarvis. proven track record, tons of experience, all the cups. looks to be the next dallas assistant to get his first head coaching job behind our bench?

such an uncharacteristic hire. am i thinking of someone else? was benning/willie?

JA

Doug joined the Development Camp today.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888586&navid=DL|VAN|home
Canucks name Doug Jarvis assistant coach
Monday, 07.4.2016 / 9:00 AM PT / News
Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that Doug Jarvis has been named Assistant Coach. Jarvis joins Head Coach Willie Desjardins’ staff alongside Assistant Coaches, Doug Lidster and Perry Pearn, Goaltending Coach, Dan Cloutier, Skills Coach Glen Carnegie and Video Coach, Ben Cooper.

“Doug Jarvis is an accomplished coach with multiple Stanley Cup championships and NHL Finals experience,” said Jim Benning. “He has a teaching mentality and draws from his knowledge as a former player and coach spanning almost 40 years. We are very pleased to have Doug and his family join our team.”

Jarvis’s coaching career spans 26 years and follows a 13-year NHL playing career. The Brantford, Ontario native is a six-time Stanley Cup champion, winning four times as a player with Montreal and twice as an assistant coach with Dallas (1999) and Boston (2011). Jarvis still holds the NHL iron man record with 964 consecutive games played, never missing a game his entire NHL career. He recorded 403 career points (139-264-403) with Montreal, Washington and Hartford. Jarvis won the Selke Trophy as top defensive forward in 1984 and the Masterton Trophy for perseverance and dedication in 1987.

Following his playing career Jarvis was named an assistant coach with the Minnesota North Stars in 1989, where he worked 14 seasons and moved with the club to Dallas. In 2003 he assumed head coaching duties with Montreal’s AHL affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs and two years later was named associate coach with Montreal in 2005. In 2010 Jarvis joined Boston’s coaching staff where he’s spent the past six seasons.

Jarvis and his wife Linda have two children, daughter Laura and son Landry.

Last edited by a moderator:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Good hire. I think his experience will help Willie out a lot.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Doug Jarvis' resume would be solid even if he didn't have overlap between Benning/Weisbrod in Boston. Three decades as a coach in the NHL combined with a solid playing career. He's a good hire.

Jarvis was my #2 choice after Baumgartner, but I think the team may be grooming Baumer to replace Green in Utica when TG finally gets an NHL coaching gig.

Last edited by a moderator:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems to me like the best of the candidates they were reportedly looking at. Tons of experience, so that shouldn't hurt here.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=233a8d11-d530-4ce7-b84b-13d33bb46d7c

PP% Rank with Doug Jarvis as Asst Coach

2005/06 - Montreal - 5th
2006/07 - Montreal - 1st
2007/08 - Montreal - 1st
2008/09 - Montreal - 15th

2010/11 - Boston - 20th
2011/12 - Boston - 13th
2012/13 - Boston - 28th
2013/14 - Boston - 3rd
2014/15 - Boston - 17th
2015/16 - Boston - 7th

The stuff in that article about "shoot the puck always" on the PP, and "not making that extra pass" will be an interesting fit with the Sedins though. :laugh:

Have to imagine that philosophy is going to be somewhat adjusted when it comes to the Twins running that Top-PP Unit.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Seems to me like the best of the candidates they were reportedly looking at. Tons of experience, so that shouldn't hurt here.

The stuff in that article about "shoot the puck always" on the PP, and "not making that extra pass" will be an interesting fit with the Sedins though. :laugh:

Have to imagine that philosophy is going to be somewhat adjusted when it comes to the Twins running that Top-PP Unit.

Sedins need to realize though that the goals can't always just be tap ins.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm guessing nobody here knows really anything about him.

Could be a good guy and a good hire but it's extremely difficult to expect really anything worthwhile, like a some sort of great hockey mind that's going to do great things for us regarding special teams (probably big part of his responsibility?), because of 3 reasons:

1) he's liked and hired by the same idiots responsible for this tire fire of a team, and of course by the same idiots who also hired Willie

2) it's just another guy they've worked with in the past

3) it looks like he's cut from the same dinosaur tree that is hopelessly outdated in today's NHL

But that's all just guessing, pretty much. Could be a good addition too. One thing though I will mention, it's ****ing disgusting that this organisation is turning more and more into Boston Bruins vol 2. Makes me sick.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sedins need to realize though that the goals can't always just be tap ins.

True. And obviously, what they've been doing the last couple years really hasn't been working like it used to. Some more shooting going on would probably help...though that's also been at least partially a personnel issue as much as a coaching issue; lacking that solid RH shot triggerman on the point.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
I say there's a good chance he'll eventually become the head coach. Green is good and all, but this team desperately needs a seasoned NHL veteran behind the bench. At least you gotta think that's how the management is thinking right now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Listened to his interview on 1040. Said all the right things and seems like a home run signing given the other options.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
While I hate the Benning old boys club, this guy is definitely qualified and was the best candidate for the position.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Well maybe the PP will improve? I mean it has no where to go but up right?

Maybe he can be a tempt coach if Green gets hired by someone before we fire WD...

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van

The twins are both great passers and can get the puck through to a guy with a shot. Will that guy take the shot? I sometimes wonder if watching the Sedins every days makes some of our players consciously or unconsciously imitate them. Which is great for keeping the cycle alive on the wall, not so good for pp!

I sure hope we get someone who can shoot at the back. Tanev's been taking lessons apparently.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Not sure how a guy with that much NHL experience and Stanley Cup rings will work beside a guy like Desjardins who is a inexperienced NHL coach.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
wow. great hire. hopefully the powerplay improves. hope perry pearn gets demoted and jarvis is the pp coach. was the nucks pp ranked like 27th but pk was 17th which is pretty good under gulultzan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad