Confirmed with Link: Canucks hire Doug Jarvis as assistant coach

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Don't really know much about him to be honest, any take on this?

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Seemed like the best of the candidates listed. Hope his work with the PP can help ours out.

Another "familiar" connection (Boston). It seems this management group really emphasize personnel and players with whom they or the coaching staff have history with.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
great person to learn from,

- 6 Stanley cup rings (4 as a player, 2 as an assistant coach)
- never missed an NHL game as a player, holds the longest ironman streak in the NHL (964 games)

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Not surprising given that he's an ex-Bruin coach from Benning and Weisbrod's time there. Oh well, at least it's not Troy Ward.

Kind of a weird career he's had. He has consistently been an assistant coach since 1988 with only 2 years in there as a head coach in the AHL. He's now 61 years old and has never even gotten a sniff of a head coaching job at the NHL level. At least he's experienced, we'll see if that's a good thing or if he'll be as stubborn as Willie.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Another "familiar" connection (Boston). It seems this management group really emphasize personnel and players with whom they or the coaching staff have history with.

In their defense (not often I say that), most coaching/management regimes follow this philosophy to some degree. It does seem fairly prevalent with this current group though.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
In their defense (not often I say that), most coaching/management regimes follow this philosophy to some degree. It does seem fairly prevalent with this current group though.

I could see this. It is a safe move to bring in a known variable that you know can work with the group you have then something different. That happens in just about every business.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Good Hire. lots of experience.

will be a good help when Travis Green takes over lol :laugh:

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Seems fine.

Unrelatedly: Looking at Jarvis' resume, I'm sorta curious why he's never had an NHL head coaching gig before. He certainly seems qualified on paper. Just bad luck/timing?

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Not surprising given that he's an ex-Bruin coach from Benning and Weisbrod's time there. Oh well, at least it's not Troy Ward.

Kind of a weird career he's had. He has consistently been an assistant coach since 1988 with only 2 years in there as a head coach in the AHL. He's now 61 years old and has never even gotten a sniff of a head coaching job at the NHL level. At least he's experienced, we'll see if that's a good thing or if he'll be as stubborn as Willie.

Well I have a feeling he'll be the interim coach by season's end.

JA

Jarvis has 24 years of experience as an assistant coach. He has won two Stanley Cups as an assistant: one with Dallas in 1999, and one with Boston in 2011.

Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars (1988-2002)

Montreal Canadiens (2005-2009) [Associate Coach between 2007 and 2009]

Boston Bruins (2010-2016)

He has three years of experience as an AHL head coach. He is 61 years old.

NS_21Jarvisdoug_2764433_473652.JPG

tyler-seguin-left-talks-with-assistant-coach-doug-jarvis-during-the-picture-id170295972

As a player, he has a Selke Trophy (1983-84), a Masterton Trophy (1986-87), and four Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens. He also holds the record for the NHL's longest iron-man streak with 964 consecutive games played. He never missed a regular season game in his entire career.

latest

Last edited by a moderator:

ccjon

Jul 12, 2011
Power play clicking for Canadiens

Doug Jarvis has a simple philosophy for coaching the power play.

BY THE WINDSOR STAR OCTOBER 5, 2007

Doug Jarvis has a simple philosophy for coaching the power play.

"I tell the guys to shoot the puck," Jarvis said the day after the Montreal Canadiens scored three power-play goals in their 3-2 overtime win over the Carolina Hurricanes Wednesday night.

"We tell our players that they look for the shot first," the Canadiens' associate coach said.

"There are some guys who are natural shooters and there are some guys who think of themselves as playmakers. When we get out there on the power play, we want to move the puck but we don't want to make that extra pass. we want to get the puck to the net."

That's what the Canadiens did in Carolina as captain Saku Koivu scored twice after Mark Streit scored the first goal.

"It's only one game but I think we showed that we can score in that situation," Koivu said.

"We didn't do very well on the power play in the pre-season but we were able to work on it before our first game and it clicked last night."

The Canadiens ranked No. 1 in power-play efficiency last season but there was understandable concern after free-agent defenceman Sheldon Souray took his booming slapshot -- and NHL-record 19 power-play goals -- to Edmonton.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=233a8d11-d530-4ce7-b84b-13d33bb46d7c

PP% Rank with Doug Jarvis as Asst Coach

2005/06 - Montreal - 5th
2006/07 - Montreal - 1st
2007/08 - Montreal - 1st
2008/09 - Montreal - 15th

2010/11 - Boston - 20th
2011/12 - Boston - 13th
2012/13 - Boston - 28th
2013/14 - Boston - 3rd
2014/15 - Boston - 17th
2015/16 - Boston - 7th

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
The good: solid, veteran coach

The bad: could come out of retirement and at 61 be the number 4 center on the organizational depth chart

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I just hope he brings some competence to his position. Really, at this point, that is all I can ask for.

Ideally he will be the sober second thought type of guy and not a yes man.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Maybe he didn't want to be head coach? Some people just don't want the spotlight/workload.

I think I had his hockey card way back when I was wee. I think he played for the caps.

Lots of experience anyways, and proven success.

Regardless, this is another good move by Benning.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad