Rumor: Canucks heavily pursuing Barrie

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not really.
His next contract does not make any sense for the Avs given what we have in our system, the expansion draft and our future capsituation.

We just should have traded him back when he still had more value.

What exactly do we have in our system on the right side? An impressive, but unproven rookie? A guy we aren't sure will ever play hockey? Meloche? EJ who looks like a boat anchor? We literally have one guy not counting Tyson and we still don't know what we have in him.

Expansion draft? Future cap situation?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Let me see if I have this forum properly figured out yet:

Canucks are willing to trade for Barrie but the following are off the table: 1st round picks, Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Woo, Madden, 2019 2nd round pick.

Therefore Colorado can select up to 4 of the following for dumping Barrie off on to us:

2019 3rd round pick
Stecher
2021 2nd round pick
Eriksson 5% retained
Sutter
Beagle
Schaller
Pouliots rights
Spooner
Lmao you're trading for Barrie and a ****ing 2nd round pick is untouchable?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Barrie only has a year left. So, unless he is willing to negociate a new deal with the Canucks this summer, I don't see the Avs getting anymore then a Number 3 D gets as a rental. See Muzzin last year. I think Barrie is better, but Muzzin had an extra year at an affordable cap hit. You're looking at the equivalent of late 1st, B+ prospect, C+prospect

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Granted his next contract will be BIG, but the good news is, we have the space. We have tons of cap room.

The emergence of Makar and Girard would certainly make the lose of Barrie a bit easier, but losing Barrie makes us a worse team than we are today imo.

He is often the team’s leading scorer after the Big 3. The offensive output he provides is not something I think we can afford to lose. The true lose of Barrie would only be fully realized once he is gone imo.

Thats not the problem here. The problem is that we have Makar/EJ/Barrie/Meloche/Timmins on the right side. And that if you pay Barrie 8-9m/year, Makar, Girard will all want more money than we should give them (similarly to what is happening in Toronto right now). Barries contract will probably be Makars floor and we will be in captrouble really, really quick.
You always want Makar to tilt the ice offensively and not use him in a shutdown role like we do with EJ right now. The issue is that Barrie can not take over EJs role once Erik slows down. But you want Makar to take Barries offensive minutes and not force him into the tough defensive minutes EJ is facing right now. That means you would have to shift down Barrie to the third pairing when it comes to priority on the right side. And he will be way too expensive for that and probably also ask for a NMC with the expansion draft which we IMO absolutely can not afford to give him now that we have to protect Makar as well. Between Girard, Makar and Girard, we also simply lack a bit of size and toughness in our top4 going forward and that would be an issue.

It just makes no sense to fulfill Newports wishes given our situation.

I will miss him a ton but looking at our D-Core he simply is not among the top2-3 guys I want to keep under any circumstances right now.
And because of that I don't want to pay him the money he rightfully deserves

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Barrie only has a year left. So, unless he is willing to negociate a new deal with the Canucks this summer, I don't see the Avs getting anymore then a Number 3 D gets as a rental. See Muzzin last year. I think Barrie is better, but Muzzin had an extra year at an affordable cap hit. You're looking at the equivalent of late 1st, B+ prospect, C+prospect

It may be true, but in that case, as I mentioned above, the Avs are better off having him contribute in their lineup this coming year. His cap savings becomes an asset for 2020-2021 and it also results in more expansion draft flexibility.

Reactions: jfhabs

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Thats not the problem here. The problem is that we have Makar/EJ/Barrie/Meloche/Timmins on the right side. And that if you pay Barrie 8-9m/year, Makar, Girard will all want more money than we should give them (similarly to what is happening in Toronto right now). Barries contract will probably be Makars floor and we will be in captrouble really, really quick.
You always want Makar to tilt the ice offensively and not use him in a shutdown role like we do with EJ right now. The issue is that Barrie can not take over EJs role once Erik slows down. But you want Makar to take Barries offensive minutes and not force him into the tough defensive minutes EJ is facing right now. That means you would have to shift down Barrie to the third pairing when it comes to priority on the right side. And he will be way too expensive for that and probably also ask for a NMC with the expansion draft which we IMO absolutely can not afford to give him now that we have to protect Makar as well. Between Girard, Makar and Girard, we also simply lack a bit of size and toughness in our top4 going forward and that would be an issue.

I will miss him a ton but looking at our D-Core he simply is not among the top2-3 guys I want to keep under any circumstances right now.

You do realize that Barrie was used as top pairing D and that is not over the hill EJ who takes the toughest assignments? Also I have to laugh at counting on Timmins and Meloche in any capacity.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
idk why canucks would want barrie anyways when they have quinn to play that role for cheaper and wouldn't have to give up assets.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
You do realize that Barrie was used as top pairing D and that is not over the hill EJ who takes the toughest assignments? Also I have to laugh at counting on Timmins and Meloche in any capacity.
I mean, rolling with EJ and Makar on the right + a UFA isnt a bad situation at all. Stralman would be a good fit, and also a guy you wouldn't hate to lose in expansion.

I still have faith in Timmins. Avs have been really careful with him and by all accounts he will be ready to start Training camp. Plus there are several accounts of players recovering from concussions - Bergeron, Skinner, etc. If there was a spot for him, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get some NHL time next season.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Something around the 10 ++ for Barrie and 16?

I am reluctant to put names to it, but something like:

To Avs: #10, 2020 2nd conditional if Barrie re-signs, Gaudette
To Van: #16, Barrie
Absolutely not...

If Barrie is packaged with the 16th OA, Avs could get a hell of a lot better than that.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
What exactly do we have in our system on the right side? An impressive, but unproven rookie? A guy we aren't sure will ever play hockey? Meloche? EJ who looks like a boat anchor? We literally have one guy not counting Tyson and we still don't know what we have in him.

Expansion draft? Future cap situation?

Read my post above basically.

Its pretty simple. Barrie will never be able to replace EJ when it comes to shutting down the opposition.
Makar might be able to do that down the line but IMO it would be a waste of his talent and not using him to his strength.
EJ will eat those hard minutes for the foreseeable future so once Makar fully develops in the next 1-2 years, he will be eating into Barries heavily offensive minutes.
If you pay Barrie 8-9 million for being neither your #1 offensive nor defensive option on the right side a couple of years down the road, contracts will get out of hand very quickly.

EJ is a boat anchor. I agree. But I think for the Avs Barrie will be a worse boat anchor pretty quickly. Because for him to be worth 8M+, he will have to put up 50-60 points regularly. And with Makar in front of him, I think that will be hard to do once he loses even a small step (which is not uncommon once players approach the 30 year mark).

Barrie needs to be the premier offensive #1 option on the right side for him to be worth his next contract. But given that we have Makar I want no part of locking him into a 8-9M longterm deal cementing him into that spot for good. Especially when you also have Girard and Makar as IMO very vital parts of your top4 going forward and also looking for new contracts pretty soon.

I only mention Timmins/Meloche because its not like the Avs will immediately have a desperate need at RHD once they move Barrie. Also because I have some hope that one of them can be a nice balance defensively as a #4/5 down the road once EJ has to be relegated down to the bottom pairing.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado

Fair enough, certainly respect what you’re saying here.

If Girard and/or Makar can equal Barrie’s offensive output (55-60points/yr) I have no trouble giving them large raises. Granted, at that point, it would likely mean one of them needs to be moved. And if it is Barrie, I’m ok with it.

I just have a hard time moving him right now. Makar obviously looks to be promising, Girard is good but may top out at ~35 point player. I’d just rather have a log jam of Barrie/Makar/Girard rather than worrying about guys like Meloche or Timmons at this point in time, especially considering Timmins’ concussion history.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Sure, but when you look at what you have offered in your post, it would seem that the Avs are better off simply keeping Barrie for the year and treating him as their own rental player. If he walks in free agency, they have the cap savings as an asset. This scenario appears to hold more value for the Avs.

I could see that happening as well. The AVS are my favorite team after the Canucks and would love if both teams could be contenders in the next few years. I think with the injuries to Sutter over the last few years, people underestimate what he brings to the table. He is an excellent 3c with above average defensive abilities and pretty good in the face off circle. If healthy hes likely a 20/20 guy. Look at what Hayes signed and after this year likely plays 3c, allowing Patrick to take on the 2c role. 7 friggin million for 7 years!!!!!!

If you can get a 3c for 2.19m a year, I don't see how any team says no. Hutton is more of an unknown commodity around the league. He had to step up with Stetcher and play top pairing this year (25-28minutes) with our injuries and he didn't really look out of place for those few games. He can put up the points even on an offensively challenged Vancouver team so imagine what he can do with the Avs. He likely carries an insignificant cap hit and took a huge step in his development this year.

I really compare this deal to Trouba's return. Can you really expect more than a 20th OA and Pionk? I view Pionk as only slightly better than Hutton. Hutton brings more physicality in my view but wouldn't be surprised if Hutton was the better defenseman this year.

Also Barrie has been one of my fav defenseman for a long time. I really hope JB is doing everything we can to get him. I just don't want to see Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen or 10thOA in play for 1 year of Barrie. I would do a conditional 1st in 2020 if Barrie chooses to resign with the Canucks.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Read my post above basically.

Its pretty simple. Barrie will never be able to replace EJ when it comes to shutting down the opposition.
Makar might be able to do that down the line but IMO it would be a waste of his talent and not using him to his strength.
EJ will eat those hard minutes for the foreseeable future so once Makar fully develops in the next 1-2 years, he will be eating into Barries heavily offensive minutes.
If you pay Barrie 8-9 million for being neither your #1 offensive nor defensive option on the right side a couple of years down the road, contracts will get out of hand very quickly.

EJ is a boat anchor. I agree. But I think for the Avs Barrie will be a worse boat anchor pretty quickly. Because for him to be worth 8M+, he will have to put up 50-60 points regularly. And with Makar in front of him, I think that will be hard to do once he loses even a small step (which is not uncommon once players approach the 30 year mark).

Barrie needs to be the premier offensive #1 option on the right side for him to be worth his next contract. But given that we have Makar I want no part of locking him into a 8-9M longterm deal cementing him into that spot for good. Especially when you also have Girard and Makar as IMO very vital parts of your top4 going forward and also looking for new contracts pretty soon.

EJ doesn't eat those minutes now, so why would he be counted upon to do that in the future given that he will probably only get worse? And I really don't get counting on Girard as some kind of offensive producer. He has shown nothing to suggest he will be able to be an offensive dynamo.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Absolutely not...

If Barrie is packaged with the 16th OA, Avs could get a hell of a lot better than that.
I just looked at Barrie's stats, I thought of him as a Faulk type player, I didn't realize he is coming off back to back almost 60pt seasons. You're right, not nearly enough.

Not that it changes anything, but the conditional 2nd in my head would become a protected 1st if Barrie re-signed. When I went back it looks like the 2nd is conditional on him re-signing all together.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Fair enough, certainly respect what you’re saying here.

If Girard and/or Makar can equal Barrie’s offensive output (55-60points/yr) I have no trouble giving them large raises. Granted, at that point, it would likely mean one of them needs to be moved. And if it is Barrie, I’m ok with it.

I just have a hard time moving him right now. Makar obviously looks to be promising, Girard is good but may top out at ~35 point player. I’d just rather have a log jam of Barrie/Makar/Girard rather than worrying about guys like Meloche or Timmons at this point in time, especially considering Timmins’ concussion history.

The problem is that once that happens and he gets bumped down the depth chart, he will basically be unmoveable. Because there are only so many points a defense produces. And if Barrie earns 8M+, he will be very hard to move if he slows down even a bit because of a diminished role or natural decline.
Because with that contract he has to put up 50+ points or he won't be worth it at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad