Rumor: Canucks heavily pursuing Barrie

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I can’t see the Canucks trading Horvat for a dman with 1 year till UFA. It’d have to be a futures deal that could be flipped for someone to help Colorado now. I just don’t see a deal to be made if we aren’t moving any of the core 4 and they don’t want futures

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I can’t see the Canucks trading Horvat for a dman with 1 year till UFA. It’d have to be a futures deal that could be flipped for someone to help Colorado now. I just don’t see a deal to be made if we aren’t moving any of the core 4 and they don’t want futures
Unless Barrie is allowed to talk to your guys' camp about an extension first.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There's no way they move 4th and Barrie in the same deal. And I know Barrie is an UFA, but he would probably sign the very second he could, so it's not Vancouver would be trading for a rental.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If the idea is to generate some excitement tomorrow night, I have to imagine Barrie would have to be part of a bigger deal that includes perhaps even the #4 pick going back to Vancouver and one of Vancouver's core forwards (Horvat/Boeser) and pick coming back to Colorado.

That way the Canucks can make a splash with a new core player and a top, top pick...it would come at a steep cost of course.

Otherwise, the only asset that really would push the Avs to sell is the #10 pick and I can't see the Canucks offering that up right before the draft and going the first round without a pick (or sliding back).

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Not really.
His next contract does not make any sense for the Avs given what we have in our system, the expansion draft and our future capsituation.

We just should have traded him back when he still had more value.
Granted his next contract will be BIG, but the good news is, we have the space. We have tons of cap room.

The emergence of Makar and Girard would certainly make the lose of Barrie a bit easier, but losing Barrie makes us a worse team than we are today imo.

He is often the team’s leading scorer after the Big 3. The offensive output he provides is not something I think we can afford to lose. The true lose of Barrie would only be fully realized once he is gone imo.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Let me see if I have this forum properly figured out yet:

Canucks are willing to trade for Barrie but the following are off the table: 1st round picks, Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Woo, Madden, 2019 2nd round pick.

Therefore Colorado can select up to 4 of the following for dumping Barrie off on to us:

2019 3rd round pick
Stecher
2021 2nd round pick
Eriksson 5% retained
Sutter
Beagle
Schaller
Pouliots rights
Spooner

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
lol not even close

Trouba who is the younger, better defenseman at this stage in his career returned 20th OA and Pionk.

10th OA will not be in play for 1 year of Barrie who we could bring home next off season. What does your center depth look like?

I could see Sutter (50% retained), Hutton and this years 2nd. Salary is about equal. Hutton steps in and plays 3rd pairing with the ability to step in to the top 4 when needed and likely good for 30-40 points with the guys you have on your roster. Sutter comes in as your 3C, takes on the defensive responsibilities and gives you a right hand faceoff guy. Would increase your forward depth for sure.

Just remember its 1 year for Barrie!!!!

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'd probably do this one, though it would suck very badly to lose Horvat.
Most Avs fans seem to be on board with this as well. Let's fax the GMs

Everyone saying 'one year of Barrie' - when GMs make substantial deals like this they do everything in their power to sign the player. Sure, there's a risk he walks but if Vancouver is willing to pay him theres no reason for Barrie to leave his hometown.

Plus, the 6 draft spots you gain in this deal is in appreciation of that risk. In a vacuum, Barrie and Horvat hold similar value

josra33

Aug 11, 2008

Canucks are willing to trade for Barrie but the following are off the table: 1st round picks, Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Woo, Madden, 2019 2nd round pick.

Therefore Colorado can select up to 4 of the following for dumping Barrie off on to us:

2019 3rd round pick
Stecher
2021 2nd round pick
Eriksson 5% retained
Sutter
Beagle
Schaller
Pouliots rights
Spooner

Wow that’s very kind of you!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's the Avs game of musical chairs. First it was Stastny, then ROR, then Duchene, now Barrie.

I think the Barrie rumors preceded ROR... Maybe even Stastny. He's right. This has been an annual thing for quite some time.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Trouba who is the younger, better defenseman at this stage in his career returned 20th OA and Pionk.

10th OA will not be in play for 1 year of Barrie who we could bring home next off season. What does your center depth look like?

I could see Sutter (50% retained), Hutton and this years 2nd. Salary is about equal. Hutton steps in and plays 3rd pairing with the ability to step in to the top 4 when needed and likely good for 30-40 points with the guys you have on your roster. Sutter comes in as your 3C, takes on the defensive responsibilities and gives you a right hand faceoff guy. Would increase your forward depth for sure.

I'd rather buyout Barrie right now than trade him for that package

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan

2019 3rd round pick
Stecher
2021 2nd round pick
Eriksson 5% retained
Sutter
Beagle
Schaller
Pouliots rights
Spooner

Only the core 4 should be off the table, 1sts and prospects or other roster players would all be in play

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Kick the tires on Risto, re-sign Edler then on to Barrie.

apparently he also called on letang at some point.

and i would speculate from the timing of the reported call to buffalo that he was originally targeting myers until the jets moved trouba and now he thinks that is too risky.

all your rhd am not belonging to benning.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I could see Sutter (50% retained), Hutton and this years 2nd. Salary is about equal. Hutton steps in and plays 3rd pairing with the ability to step in to the top 4 when needed and likely good for 40 points with the guys you have on your roster. Sutter comes in as your 3C, takes on the defensive responsibilities and gives you a right hand faceoff guy. Would increase your forward depth for sure.

Sure, but when you look at what you have offered in your post, it would seem that the Avs are better off simply keeping Barrie for the year and treating him as their own rental player. If he walks in free agency, they have the cap savings as an asset. This scenario appears to hold more value for the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad