Rumor: Canucks heavily pursuing Barrie

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Sounds like Benning is in make the playoffs mode. I would assume he'll make a huge run at Gardiner

Canucks don't really have cap space now for Gardiner or Myers, barring dumping of some ugly forward contracts like Sutter, Spooner, etc and that's very hard to do right now. Teams are in tough with the cap.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
The only reason would be if there were some bad blood, and in the past it looked that way so who knows what today is like. Just because we dont hear about issues doesn't mean there aren't any. If he would bolt as a UFA I could see trading him early rather than later on. But honestly this whole thing was probably nothing, and Barrie is likely happy where he is.

Colorado needs secondary scoring desperately, and Barrie fills a role they can fill with other, cheaper players who aren't a year from UFA, while carrying enough value to bring a quality return.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Colorado needs secondary scoring desperately, and Barrie fills a role they can fill with other, cheaper players who aren't a year from UFA, while carrying enough value to bring a quality return.

I really wouldn't call our need for secondary scoring "desperate". We had 13 guys score at least 20 points last year. The Bruins only had 10 players with 20+ points and made it to the Cup Finals.

What the Avs really need is for their talented youngsters to not be youngsters anymore. Jost, Compher, Girard and Kerfoot are entering their third seasons, and should hopefully all continue to improve to some extent. Makar, Byram, Newhook, Bowers, Kaut, Greer, etc. still haven't played a rookie NHL season, and could all plausibly be 20+ point guys, or better. Trading Barrie doesn't make time pass faster and get our youngsters more experience sooner.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I really wouldn't call our need for secondary scoring "desperate". We had 13 guys score at least 20 points last year. The Bruins only had 10 players with 20+ points and made it to the Cup Finals.

What the Avs really need is for their talented youngsters to not be youngsters anymore. Jost, Compher, Girard and Kerfoot are entering their third seasons, and should hopefully all continue to improve to some extent. Makar, Byram, Newhook, Bowers, Kaut, Greer, etc. still haven't played a rookie NHL season, and could all plausibly be 20+ point guys, or better. Trading Barrie doesn't make time pass faster and get our youngsters more experience sooner.

No but it prevents us from losing him for nothing 12 months from now.
And if Sakic is serious about giving Byram every chance to make the roster, one of Zadorov/Barrie/EJ/Makar/Girard/Cole would have to go or eat nachos every game.
Logical choice is Barrie here. And even if Byram is not ready, the Avs will have plenty of options from within (bringing back Nemeth or promoting Meloche/Timmins/Graves) to fill that #6 spot.

Our 2nd line on the other hand still looks very ugly and needs to be adressed. You can maybe count on one of Jost/Compher/Kerfoot to improve enough over the summer to turn into a legit 2nd liner. Two would be a stretch. 3 ridiculous. Especially with Soderberg slowing down at the end of the year, there is work to be done here.
And looking at the UFA pool, that won't be easy.
Avs should take the best deal they can get for Barrie in the near future. If he can get us a quality option for a 2nd line then great. If not stock up on futures and trade them at the deadline for immediate help.
Because if we keep Barrie on the roster, he is guaranteed to be Stastny 2.0 and I personally do not want to see that happen...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
No but it prevents us from losing him for nothing 12 months from now.
And if Sakic is serious about giving Byram every chance to make the roster, one of Zadorov/Barrie/EJ/Makar/Girard/Cole would have to go or eat nachos every game.
Logical choice is Barrie here. And even if Byram is not ready, the Avs will have plenty of options from within (bringing back Nemeth or promoting Meloche/Timmins/Graves) to fill that #6 spot.

Our 2nd line on the other hand still looks very ugly and needs to be adressed. You can maybe count on one of Jost/Compher/Kerfoot to improve enough over the summer to turn into a legit 2nd liner. Two would be a stretch. 3 ridiculous. Especially with Soderberg slowing down at the end of the year, there is work to be done here.
And looking at the UFA pool, that won't be easy.
Avs should take the best deal they can get for Barrie in the near future. If he can get us a quality option for a 2nd line then great. If not stock up on futures and trade them at the deadline for immediate help.
Because if we keep Barrie on the roster, he is guaranteed to be Stastny 2.0 and I personally do not want to see that happen...

Signing him to an extension also prevents us from losing him.

I have no problem with Cole eating nachos every game. But, I also don't want to count on Byram making the team.

Barrie > Nemeth or whoever they can find to fill that #6 spot.

And, our second line is easily improved by breaking up the big line. Move Rantanen to the 2nd line and let him play with some youngsters, rather than always stacking the first line. Let teams decide if they want to focus on stopping Mack or stopping Mikko, and let's see what happens. It worked before, when Sakic and Forsberg drove their own lines, why can't it work again?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Signing him to an extension also prevents us from losing him.

I have no problem with Cole eating nachos every game. But, I also don't want to count on Byram making the team.

Barrie > Nemeth or whoever they can find to fill that #6 spot.

And, our second line is easily improved by breaking up the big line. Move Rantanen to the 2nd line and let him play with some youngsters, rather than always stacking the first line. Let teams decide if they want to focus on stopping Mack or stopping Mikko, and let's see what happens. It worked before, when Sakic and Forsberg drove their own lines, why can't it work again?

Signing him to an extension isn't even an option anymore IMO.
Its just too much money now and in the future and it does not make any sense at all with Byram and Makar in the fold. We are talking about 2 #4 overall picks that both excell offensively. If we keep Barrie, longterm there simply won't be enough minutes offensively available for all of them. There is no way in hell signing Barrie to any kind of realistic extension makes any sense. Between Makar, Girard and Byram, a luxury offensive fir

Breaking up the big line also meets moving someone up and greatly diminishing their output like we saw with Kerfoot. Don't really want to see that happen. Rather use Barrie+ our capspace to create a decent 2nd line. Or atleast get someone that wouldn't drag down our 1st line like Kerfoot if we move down Rants.

Also Cole can not each nachos. Because between Girard, Barrie and 2 rookies, we would kill EJ and Zads due to them having to eat all the tough minutes.
We need Cole in there taking on defensive responsibilities together with EJ and Zads if we ice 2 rookies + 21 year old Sammy Girard.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Signing him to an extension isn't even an option anymore IMO.
Its just too much money now and in the future and it does not make any sense at all with Byram and Makar in the fold. We are talking about 2 #4 overall picks that both excell offensively. If we keep Barrie, longterm there simply won't be enough minutes offensively available for all of them. There is no way in hell signing Barrie to any kind of realistic extension makes any sense. Between Makar, Girard and Byram, a luxury offensive fir

Breaking up the big line also meets moving someone up and greatly diminishing their output like we saw with Kerfoot. Don't really want to see that happen. Rather use Barrie+ our capspace to create a decent 2nd line. Or atleast get someone that wouldn't drag down our 1st line like Kerfoot if we move down Rants.

Also Cole can not each nachos. Because between Girard, Barrie and 2 rookies, we would kill EJ and Zads due to them having to eat all the tough minutes.
We need Cole in there taking on defensive responsibilities together with EJ and Zads if we ice 2 rookies + 21 year old Sammy Girard.

Signing him to an extension absolutely is an option. If/when Byram and Makar prove that Barrie is no longer needed, we can trade him then. There's absolutely no logical reason to force our youngsters into Barrie's role when Makar/Byram have a combined zero regular season NHL games on their resumes.

And, yes, the output of the top line will diminish if we don't stack it. But, back in the day, Forsberg and Sakic each drove their own lines, and were able to elevate the play of guys like Drury and Tanguay and Hejduk. If we can do something like that with Mikko and Mack, we could plausibly have a significantly better top 6, even if the top line isn't stacked with our 3 best forwards.

And, Cole absolutely can each nachos every game. Makar showed in the playoffs that he's more than capable defensively, and I have no problem letting him PK as a rookie. I'd also rather have Girard over Cole in literally every situation, other than fighting and PKing. If that means that Girard has to PK, or EJ has to carry more of the heavy load, so be it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Signing him to an extension absolutely is an option. If/when Byram and Makar prove that Barrie is no longer needed, we can trade him then. There's absolutely no logical reason to force our youngsters into Barrie's role when Makar/Byram have a combined zero regular season NHL games on their resumes.

And, yes, the output of the top line will diminish if we don't stack it. But, back in the day, Forsberg and Sakic each drove their own lines, and were able to elevate the play of guys like Drury and Tanguay and Hejduk. If we can do something like that with Mikko and Mack, we could plausibly have a significantly better top 6, even if the top line isn't stacked with our 3 best forwards.

And, Cole absolutely can each nachos every game. Makar showed in the playoffs that he's more than capable defensively, and I have no problem letting him PK as a rookie. I'd also rather have Girard over Cole in literally every situation, other than fighting and PKing. If that means that Girard has to PK, or EJ has to carry more of the heavy load, so be it.

Lets agree to disagree. I think there is a close to 0 chance that there will be an extension. Especially if Sakic applies even an ounce of strategic thinking. I also expect him to know by now what the numbers are after talking to Newport (!) and given the recent rumors, I am pretty sure that they have made their decision in that regard. Picking Byram is the final nail in that coffin IMO.

Makar on the PK is a waste and IMO also not a good idea for now. Rather have him take over Barries offensive minutes than Coles defensive ones. And if Byram makes the roster, I want him sheltered and used in an offensive role as well. These guys need to develop and I don't want to ruin their confidence by forcing them to play the hard minutes when they might not be fully ready yet. Cole has 2 more years @ 4M+ left. Thats what we brought him in for. Let him do his job.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Lets agree to disagree. I think there is a close to 0 chance that there will be an extension. Especially if Sakic applies even an ounce of strategic thinking. I also expect him to know by now what the numbers are after talking to Newport (!) and given the recent rumors, I am pretty sure that they have made their decision in that regard. Picking Byram is the final nail in that coffin IMO.

Makar on the PK is a waste and IMO also not a good idea for now. Rather have him take over Barries offensive minutes than Coles defensive ones. And if Byram makes the roster, I want him sheltered and used in an offensive role as well. These guys need to develop and I don't want to ruin their confidence by forcing them to play the hard minutes when they might not be fully ready yet. Cole has 2 more years @ 4M+ left. Thats what we brought him in for. Let him do his job.

We definitely disagree, so there's not many other options here. I think there's a chance there will be an extension, and strategic thinking wouldn't involve making the team worse in the short term because you hope you can be just as good at some point in the future.

And Makar should be able to play in every situation, if he's as good as we hope. They were ready to use him on the PK if necessary in the playoffs, I don't get why the regular season should be any different.

And Byram hasn't even made the team yet. He'll get a chance, just like every other youngster on the roster, but that's no guarantee he earns a roster spot next year. If he earns that spot, it'll be because he's a better option than Cole, the worst and oldest LHD on the team. I don't care what Cole's contract situation is, if he's not one of the 3 best LHD on the roster, he can sit and each nachos. It's not like we need that cap space in the next two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad