Seravalli: Canucks getting calls on Tyler Myers, lots of league interest for Right Shot Dmen

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I would assume that Vancouver is looking to move the contract and not take any money back so sounds like picks or prospects are in the cards...what level? I have no idea lol, maybe someone like Foudy or Fix-Wolsky?
Take Dickinson as well and you can have both for future considerations...

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Myers is great skater for his size but us very soft IMHO and does not play a very physical game.
Regular season he is about average physicality, but cranks it up in the playoffs maybe a little too much. When we played the Wild a few years back, guy would glove-punch people in the face whenever the puck came into his corner(penalties be damned). After a few games, he won every battle because they didn't want to get punched, it was pretty funny.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Myers is definitely tradeable but not without the Canucks taking money back for him.

If Myers was actually as good as some Canucks fans were arguing he was in here, the Canucks wouldn't be looking to trade him with what else they have on RD.
Frank did a hit with Sportnet 650. Will post podcast as soon as its up.

Summary:

-Big, Right Shot Dmen that can skate are like the unicorns of the NHL
- Teams have seen players like Gudbranson do well under the right circumstance
- Myers not seen as a cap dump around the league and would require assets given to the Canucks.
- 6mil for 2 more years.
- Believes many teams have called about Myers but Canucks are trying to move cap space in other ways as they dont see a replacement for Myers to be paired with OEL as the team's shutdown tandem.
- Canucks might be willing to move Myers more if they were to get another Dman from a different trade, specualted a return for JT Miller if he was traded.
- Myers had a good and steady season, and went from -8 to +15. Frank speculates that the Canucks think that might be because he was with OEL rather than Myers being good himself.

If Canucks move him, I think he could be had for a 2nd round pick or picks and prospects.

Canucks can also retain but obviously that would just make Myers more expensive to trade for.

Which teams do you think are the ones that have been speculated to have called the Canucks about Myers?
It would seem they aren't actually looking to move him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Take advantage of Fletcher's mush brain

to :flyers

Boeser
Myers

to :nucks

Konecny
Provorov

Id be really tempted to do this as a Canuck fan but probably would lean on no.

But I think Boeser is a keeper. Guy can score 20 goals in his sleep.

He Had a tough year with his dad going through dementia among other health concerns and actually just recently passing away.

Hopefully Canucks sign him to a short term contract then long term after that.

Provorov is someone id definitely want on the Canucks though and I feel a change of organization and environment would help put him back on the trajectory he was once on which is top pairing Dman.

Konecny makes too much money for what he brings and for 3 more years.

Garland is pretty much Konecny, both tiny. Garland makes 4.9 mil vs Konecny's 5.5 mil.

I dont think the Canucks want to ice a top 9 that will have Garland, Konecny and Hoglander either. All tiny.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I would assume that Vancouver is looking to move the contract and not take any money back so sounds like picks or prospects are in the cards...what level? I have no idea lol, maybe someone like Foudy or Fix-Wolsky?

Because of Benning's bad contracts, the Canucks' "window" doesn't really start for another two years. They can retain and take back a short term contract in exchange for futures. They can also swap lower but longer contracts like Dickinson or Pearson (who isn't strictly a cap dump, he was solid this year) for people on very high short term deals like JVR to lower that timeframe.

Reactions: Jovavic

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Given his good year last season and his position, it makes sense that he has some value (not a huge amount, but some). The comparison is with the UFA market, and what kind of defenceman you could get for 2 years at $6M. Anyone better than Myers would command 5+ years, which comes with its own risks.

That said, Canucks may decide not to move him. In my opinion, unless there's a younger/cheaper replacement (not necessarily better), Myers only gets moved if the Canucks move two of Miller, Horvat and Boeser, as part of a strategic decision to have a down year or two to restock prospects.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
1654022612822.png

Reactions: MardyBum

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
You just posted an infographic by a known con artist and snake oil salesman and his little media buddy.

I mean his possession metrics are awful, and he's an offense only defenseman playing 1st pair minutes with only 1 goal and 17 assists.

He's legit awful and the league knows it, stop trying to peddle your trash on other teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EverTheCynic

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I mean his possession metrics are awful, and he's an offense only defenseman playing 1st pair minutes with only 1 goal and 17 assists.

He's legit awful and the league knows it, stop trying to peddle your trash on other teams.
I have no problems with you thinking Myers is awful.

I just have a problem with fake analytics being pushed by wannabe beat writers trying to dupe people into subscriptions. It’s criminal as far as I’m concerned.

Those 2 guys are way out of line.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Assuming Miller goes, maybe cap crunched contender takes Myers for a defensive d-man + middle 6 cap dumps. Combined 7-8M out to create some salary space while ‘upgrading’ their right side.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If he was around $4 mill he’d be fine. Just expect more out of $6 mill.
Basically sums it up… I personally am not a fan of his style of play. Chaos giraffe is a correct nickname. He does have moments of glory but usually flailing around and out of place. He wants to be an offensive threat but can’t say he finishes his opportunities often. He’s large and has a long reach. Can be physical but also finds himself on wrong side of penalties too. If he was $2M less then he’d hold greater value. It wouldn’t surprise me if some team wanted him. But as a Canucks fan I am not banking on getting much back. Likely a slightly cheaper cap dump and/or we retain. Someone traded for hamonic… Myers is better than him but also double the $ so there’s that.

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Myers is not awful. He is making too much money yes, proabbly a 4-5 mil player instead of 6. He is also being utilized as a top pairing shut down Dman. Thats not his fault. He did well keeping his head above water playing a role he isnt cut out for.

However if a team trades for him and uses him properly as a 2nd pairing Dman that can also play PK and be rugged and physical then they will get good value for him.

You're new to following hockey if you dont think guys like Myers are in demand with GMs.

If the Canucks wait just one more year and trade him at the trade deadline as a rental and expiring contract then i have no doubt they can at least receive a 2nd round pick. Far worse Dmen have returned as much or more at trade deadlines.

Since there's an extra year left before his expiring contract, I believe a reasonable return for him now is a 3rd-4th round pick.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Basically sums it up… I personally am not a fan of his style of play. Chaos giraffe is a correct nickname. He does have moments of glory but usually flailing around and out of place. He wants to be an offensive threat but can’t say he finishes his opportunities often. He’s large and has a long reach. Can be physical but also finds himself on wrong side of penalties too. If he was $2M less then he’d hold greater value. It wouldn’t surprise me if some team wanted him. But as a Canucks fan I am not banking on getting much back. Likely a slightly cheaper cap dump and/or we retain. Someone traded for hamonic… Myers is better than him but also double the $ so there’s that.
He’s at an age where he can still play. 32 with 2 years left. Not committing 5 years for him like Vancouver did. He’s still healthy. Where would he land? Likely a team outside the top 10 in the NHL’s due to cap space issues.

If you are looking to improve the team and have some cap room for a couple of years before you get crunched then Myers makes some sense. Not a long term commitment. And for some teams it’s hard to get vets to sign there. Rather than pay the Beagles/Roussell of rhe world $3 mill per for 4 years you trade for guys who have 2 years left. For that quality that’s a mid round pick. Myers we shall see.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If he was around $4 mill he’d be fine. Just expect more out of $6 mill.

4 million for a top 4 RHD man is a bargain, especially if it’s a UFA signing… he’s not that over paid for a UFA signing and the position he plays. 5 million is where he should be at, 4 million would be a steal for what he brings. If a contender who needs a top 4 RHD had the chance to sign Myers this offseason for 6 million with only 2 years of term they’d do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad