Seravalli: Canucks getting calls on Tyler Myers, lots of league interest for Right Shot Dmen

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Frank did a hit with Sportnet 650. Will post podcast as soon as its up.

Summary:

-Big, Right Shot Dmen that can skate are like the unicorns of the NHL
- Teams have seen players like Gudbranson do well under the right circumstance
- Myers not seen as a cap dump around the league and would require assets given to the Canucks.
- 6mil for 2 more years.
- Believes many teams have called about Myers but Canucks are trying to move cap space in other ways as they dont see a replacement for Myers to be paired with OEL as the team's shutdown tandem.
- Canucks might be willing to move Myers more if they were to get another Dman from a different trade, specualted a return for JT Miller if he was traded.
- Myers had a good and steady season, and went from -8 to +15. Frank speculates that the Canucks think that might be because he was with OEL rather than Myers being good himself.

If Canucks move him, I think he could be had for a 2nd round pick or picks and prospects.

Canucks can also retain but obviously that would just make Myers more expensive to trade for.

Which teams do you think are the ones that have been speculated to have called the Canucks about Myers?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
if they can move him for positive value they should absolutely do it

I think they would move him to but not without having his replacement first.

Currently the other Right shot Dmen the Canucks have is Poolman , Schenn, Burroughs

As good as it sounds to get rid of 6mil a year and get an extra 2nd , I dont think the Canucks are willing to expose Demko and the Core into another miserable season and losing culture.

I think they are okay with taking a step back, but they dont want the young core to go through hell again like they did in the covid season.

Why don’t they pursue Klingberg first?
Teams interested in right shot Dmen you mean??

1. Klingberg will cost wayyyy more than 6mil AAV
2. Contract will be massively longer, Klingberg will be 30 this season and will get a 5-7 year contract, Myers is done in 2 years.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Myers is a decent zone coverage defender, has grit to his game, and can surprise once in a while with his skating and transition.

At his worst he’s a solid depth defender. Every once in a while he plays like a legit #1D. He absolutely has value.

Anyone saying his contract is unmovable is out to lunch. He’s a good player.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Why don’t they pursue Klingberg first?

Not really what we need especially since his AAV will probably be UFA bloated.

I mean if he signs here on a sweetheart deal because of the Swedish Connection or something then sure but that's being wishful.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think with the right team, partner and coaching Myers is absolutely a useful player.

But he simply is not anything better than a #4 in the long-term and is therefore overpaid @ 6M.

However, he is also large, RH, skates well and is occasionally physical which is like masturbation material for a lot of GMs in the NHL.

Getting rid of his contract and replacing him with a younger option via trade would be a boon for the Canucks.

If Canucks move him, I think he could be had for a 2nd round pick or picks and prospects.

Given Schmidt was traded for a 3rd twice @ full salary, I can't see Myers getting more than that despite his RH shot. I would be thrilled if we could dump him for a pick but I wouldn't be surprised if the other team would want to send a contract back.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The thing is, Myers has been great this season... It's definitely been his best season as a Canuck. And, our biggest need is RHD that are capable of logging big minutes, which is exactly what Myers is. Any UFA signings that we get will not be signing for 6mil per year for 2 years, we will have to commit likely equal money to a longer term, so keeping Myers as a stop gap at RHD makes a lot of sense. I mean, if we get a RHD in a Miller trade, then trade Myers for picks, I could get behind that. But with our current roster, trading him would create a massive hole.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Package Miller and Myers @ %50 retained. So a gritty 1C and top4 rhd with size for a combined 5.65 mil caphit. What could that get us?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Those poor millionaires playing a sport they love for a living. I too shed a tear

for me it is the bigger issue of media running with blatant planted stories and running with them.

Context. In Edmonton after the 80's in Edmonton, both Terry Jones and Jim Matthieson wrote books where they mentioned how the oilers planted stories with them and other media that may not have been that true

SInce Benning got sacked we have been getting this reports about 2 or 3 weeks apart how there is great demand from other teams for certain players. I can see Miller being in demand but not at the 2nd over all pick. But Myers at 6 mill a year for 2 more season? This rumour is right out of the OIler playbook on how to get a fake bidding war started

Reactions: hn777 and Jacob582

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
What if we are committing to a 2 year Re-tool? Certainly Myers at $3m gets A LOT of interest.

Maybe that’s why there’s been so much talk about freeing up cap? So we can eat 50% of salaries and really maximize the return on our assets to expedite this Re-tool?

Reactions: jmelm

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
for me it is the bigger issue of media running with blatant planted stories and running with them.

Context. In Edmonton after the 80's in Edmonton, both Terry Jones and Jim Matthieson wrote books where they mentioned how the oilers planted stories with them and other media that may not have been that true

SInce Benning got sacked we have been getting this reports about 2 or 3 weeks apart how there is great demand from other teams for certain players. I can see Miller being in demand but not at the 2nd over all pick. But Myers at 6 mill a year for 2 more season? This rumour is right out of the OIler playbook on how to get a fake bidding war started

"Fake bidding " wars may have worked in the 80s but do you really think they would work in 2022?

Do you think that GMs cant call, email, contact other GMs who supposedly have interest in Myers just to confirm that there are other GMs interested?

and why exactly would the Canucks be starting a bidding war for Myers? that would make Poolman their top RD.

I also have never thought of Rutherford as someone who needs a fake bidding war to pull the trigger, or to plant leaks with the media... he is as much of gunslinger as they come.

Still non of these are reasons you can possibly get me to feel bad for athletes...

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York

pretty sure the miller for the 2nd OV pick was created by fans or talkshow guys spitballing out of their asses, not actual connected media.

it also isn't far fetched to suggest some GM's would be interested in a top 4 rhd that is 6'7" and coming off a solid season. This is the same team that moved a much-worse Gudbranson @ 4mil, and got a cheaper player that has been a staple in the top 6 forward group ever since. Big dmen seem to hold value amongst nhl GM's, even if they aren't very good.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Myers' $6 mill cap hit and two years of term limit his value. It's so-so. I wouldn't give up a 1st or even an early second. No way.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Myers' $6 mill cap hit and two years of term limit his value. It's so-so. I wouldn't give up a 1st or even an early second. No way.

I dont think anyone is asking for a first, but a 2nd -4th is a possibility depending on interest.

What if Canucks kept him this season then traded him as a rental at the trade deadline in 2024, what would his return be barring he keeps up the way he played this season?

Myers on an expiring contract might get you with Chiarot got or clsoe to that ballpark which is 1st 4th and prospect. So trading him a season early should definitly be only a 2nd to 4th round pick

Right Shot Big Dmen that can skate will always have value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad