Seravalli: Canucks getting calls on Tyler Myers, lots of league interest for Right Shot Dmen

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Fair enough i feel the same for Rathbone. Kid is way too good for the AHL is explosive and has a wicked clapper. Only thinking along the lines of lefty for righty that are built the same and are tracking as smaller offensive guys.

If we didn't already have Hughes Rathbone would be completely untouchable and until we start to see what he settles into it would be tough to move him. I imagine you feel the same with Spence

Durzi would be a excellent target if he was available due to the glut of RD you guys have for us. He could marinate on a 3rd pair for awhile for us and Rathbone could do the same there while they both work on the defensive side of things
Not trading Durzi for Rathbone. The Kings cant afford to let any offensive NHL success go. If you want Grans he will be a solid NHL and may blossom on offense. The potential is there.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Myers needs to be deployed properly to be useful..

He played so well this year in large part because of OEL. OEL was the general out there who basically deployed Myers. Myers said in an interview that he and OEL talk a lot more than most D-pairings and that it helped him a lot.

I take that to mean that OEL gave him a steady presence to play off of, while also telling him where to be/put the puck a lot of the time because OEL has really strong hockey sense, Myers does not, and Myers looked good this year.

So if you can put him with a smart, steady, communicative partner he may thrive. If you expect him to anchor a pairing, it becomes chaos.

He's good in the D-zone at breaking up the cycle but gives up the blueline far too easily unless coached out of it by his partner.

He has value, but if a team brings him in under the wrong scenario they will be bitterly disappointed.

With the right partner, he's a strong top 4.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Myers had probably one of his best years in recent memory this season. He does well when he isn't relied on to "be the guy"

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Canucks don't need a RH defenceman? Are they overflowing with them?

Just because the Canucks have terrible RD depth doesn't mean they shouldn't move Myers if the chance is there. This is a problem left over by Benning and is up to new management to fix, whether you're starting with Myers/Schenn/Poolman or just Schenn/Poolman when it's that bad it doesn't matter, it needs to be fixed.

More importantly with Hughes being #1 LD, stuck with OEL longterm as #2 LD, and the team struggling with limited cap space to fix things, spending $6M on a #4 RD isn't the best fit. It will be difficult and likely not immediately possible but the best situation for the Canucks would be to take the $9.5M they're currently spending on RD and split it between 3 new RD's.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Just because the Canucks have terrible RD depth doesn't mean they shouldn't move Myers if the chance is there. This is a problem left over by Benning and is up to new management to fix, whether you're starting with Myers/Schenn/Poolman or just Schenn/Poolman when it's that bad it doesn't matter, it needs to be fixed.

More importantly with Hughes being #1 LD, stuck with OEL longterm as #2 LD, and the team struggling with limited cap space to fix things, spending $6M on a #4 RD isn't the best fit. It will be difficult and likely not immediately possible but the best situation for the Canucks would be to take the $9.5M they're currently spending on RD and split it between 3 new RD's.
It seems like a contradiction that he is using up too much cap space for a team with space and in need of RD yet he'll have positive trade value to one of the teams that fit his NTC. But I don't follow the Canucks closely enough to know what's up.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It seems like a contradiction that he is using up too much cap space for a team with space and in need of RD yet he'll have positive trade value to one of the teams that fit his NTC. But I don't follow the Canucks closely enough to know what's up.
His value ties in well with this one question:

Do you like to gamble?

Myers had his best season since he joined us 4 years ago, and has been a positive on ice asset for us. He is randomly, unpredictably and alternately very, very, very effective one play, then he ends up killing a promising rush with an ill advised pass or gives up a terrifying chance against us trying to carry the puck through traffic the next. If not for horrid, terrible asset management, I'd want him back for October and not really want to entertain offers for him. His past play was awful, with only momentary spikes of a good play. New coaching staff and partners have helped him elevate both the frequency and the quality of his good plays though.

His availability, despite his playing a position of need for us and bringing elements we don't otherwise have an ample supply of on the back end (speed, physicality, size, shot blocking), is based on most of his best assets are redundant with Hughes, Ekman-Larsson, Rathbone and Dermott (allegedly) on the team (passing, offensive play, puck control, powerplay). Had Benning not saddled us with OEL with both Hughes and Myers already on the team, I think more Canucks fans would have warmed to him after this season of play.

Moving Myers would mean we might be able to keep Miller, Horvat, Boeser and Garland on the front end though, and moving other big contract players is less likely. Petey and Hughes are nigh untouchable and earning their cap hits, OEL has a NMC that I don't think was voided when he waived to come to Vancouver, and lesser contracts like Pearson, Poolman or Dickinson would take multiple moves, and in some cases likely assets, to move. Myers would be the closest thing to an odd man out then, which is why I think media is speculating on his departure.

Reactions: Chet Manley

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think Myers at 50% would have a pretty big market. Myers at full freight less so, there might be a buyer for 2x 3rd, maybe a 2nd. If they accept a 3rd, or 3rd + 4th he'd easily be moved.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Myers for Mcdavid:sarcasm:. I dont think Myers get moved unless we acquire 2 more RH D one of them being a top #3 RHD. Myers is a decent #4 who can play bigger minutes if injuries hit, but shouldnt be playing those minutes regularly. You only move him if you can get an upgrade on him

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Myers for Mcdavid:sarcasm:. I dont think Myers get moved unless we acquire 2 more RH D one of them being a top #3 RHD. Myers is a decent #4 who can play bigger minutes if injuries hit, but shouldnt be playing those minutes regularly. You only move him if you can get an upgrade on him
You move him even for a lateral move, if it saves some cap or you get a pick also

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
"Hello, we're interested in Myers, we're willing to give you...."

"Done!"

Honestly he was fine this year. Not worth 6m, but he's a RHS top 4 D and the Canucks can retain half.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Myers a good player just overpaid at his current AAV. A bit too high event of a player, some Canucks fans call him the “Chaos Girrafe” lol.

I can see him thriving on the right team.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I could see the Ducks being interested in Myers, we have a massive hole at RD and need a veteran presence back there. We wouldn’t be giving up any significant assets for him though.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Myers is great skater for his size but us very soft IMHO and does not play a very physical game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Myers is definitely tradeable but not without the Canucks taking money back for him.

If Myers was actually as good as some Canucks fans were arguing he was in here, the Canucks wouldn't be looking to trade him with what else they have on RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad