Value of: Canucks Fire Sale

Mad Brills*

I'm not a fan of virtanen at all, but I"d trade a 3rd for him in a hearbeat.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
So the Canucks got lucky and somehow came away with 4 wins to start the season. But now reality is taking over FAST. Time to trade some assets before theres nothing left to gain from a rebuild or a retool on the fly. IMO its time to blow this thing out of the sky and start over

Hansen to Washington for a 1st/Vrana and 5th round pick

Virtanen to Florida for a 3rd round pick and 4th round pick

Edler to Ottawa for a 1st (2017) and a 2nd in 2018

Miller to LA for a 2nd round pick

Would hate to see Hansen traded but i think it would be best for the team moving fwd. Benning is a bad GM at doing any task of a GM except drafting esp outside of top ten picks so I would LOVE to see him loaded up with picks to find guys like Lockwood Gaudette and Tater Olsen

Other suggestions would be appreciated as well as CONSTRUCUTIVE criticism with the above suggestions :)

What a joke.

Team loses its 1st game in regulation and time to blow it up!!!

LMFAO is as constructive as you should get for this garbage.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
So the Canucks got lucky and somehow came away with 4 wins to start the season. But now reality is taking over FAST. Time to trade some assets before theres nothing left to gain from a rebuild or a retool on the fly. IMO its time to blow this thing out of the sky and start over

Would hate to see Hansen traded but i think it would be best for the team moving fwd. Benning is a bad GM at doing any task of a GM except drafting esp outside of top ten picks so I would LOVE to see him loaded up with picks to find guys like Lockwood Gaudette and Tater Olsen

Other suggestions would be appreciated as well as CONSTRUCUTIVE criticism with the above suggestions :)
Whaaa??? Ok. lol

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

Worst trade ever.

Virtanen bottoms out as a top 9, most likely a top 6. The team just needs to stop messing around and send him to Utica for some seasoning. WD is not giving him any rope to figure out his game. He has more value to the team than some trash 3rd rounder.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

This is why I keep saying over and over again, this fan base is one of the dumbest in hockey, this is the same type of person who phones in to the local radio station with knee jerk reactions, :help:

We don't know what Virtanen is yet, this whole he is junk, lacks hockey IQ, lacks offensive instincts crap is people who don't understand development at all of PWF. Seriously stop.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Classic overreaction on Virtanen. He hasn't looked good but do you realistically think Benning, the guy that drafted him over players like Nylander and Ehlers, will trade him for junk?

Forget Benning, I don't think any GM would give up Virtanen at age 20. He just needs to goto the AHL for the year

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So the Canucks got lucky and somehow came away with 4 wins to start the season. But now reality is taking over FAST. Time to trade some assets before theres nothing left to gain from a rebuild or a retool on the fly. IMO its time to blow this thing out of the sky and start over.

Benning is never going to "blow this thing up" because he believes that having an exceptional veteran presence BLENDED with incoming prospects is the correct way to rebuild. Period. It's a sentiment that I also share. Time will tell if his method is correct, or if the 'Toronto' model has some validity (I personally believe that Toronto will follow the footsteps of Edmonton circa 2006-2015 if they don't bring in key vets).

Hansen won't get you a 1st. He'll get you a 2nd at best.

Absolutely dreadful asset management if the Canucks did this (and thankfully, they won't). If you're shipping off Virtanen, then fine, but try and make a deal similar to that of Gudbranson. I'm not sure if Anaheim would be willing to part ways with Fowler for Virtanen and ??? (Edler?), but that's something that would interest me.

Probably the only thing in your post that I don't severely dislike.

Trading Miller to the Kings would be bad for two reasons: One - you help a rival team stay within playoff contention. Benning has clearly stated that he wants to make the playoffs and so why would he do this? Two - you "sell out" the boys by trading away a good goalie. The Canucks have gotten off to a decent start and enthusiasm is high. What kind of message does it send to the players when you make a move like that? "I agree with the media is saying. You guys aren't good enough."

You absolutely cannot move Miller to LA at this point.

Benning is a bad GM at doing any task

Benning is a good GM and has made some very underrated moves (i.e. Granlund, Gudbranson, etc.).

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
its a ridiculous thread, extra annoying that its a canucks fan's invitation to others to pile on

Rival fans crap on the Canucks less than their own fanbase. I don't know why most of them even bother following the team, since they hate everything about it. Just wallowing in their own misery.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Feels like jumping the gun a bit. Vancouver has 1 regulation loss, and that was on the second night of a back-to-back. How is that reality taking over fast?

I'm not suggesting their start was sustainable, but this feels more like a bit of confirmation bias. You expect them to fall hard, so that first loss is just confirming your opinion.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This market can't handle a rebuild, seriously, we are not Toronto or Edmonton.

They said the same about Toronto for a long time, then as soon as it was decided the ratings slipped for a year and we seem to have lucked out on a few draft picks and definitely lucked out getting a 1st OA and now everyone in this market seems to be very positive

I think the rebuilds are inevitable in a cap system or else you end up treading water like the leafs did for 15 years sending out picks&prospects for bandaids

I'm sure it would hurt financially for a few years, but if it came to that and Van tanked, everyone would come back when there was top flight youth to watch even if they weren't winning a lot of games

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The Oilers and Leafs are the reason teams are so hesitant to blow it up. Nobody wants to go 10 years without making the playoffs, and getting that playoff revenue.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Wholeheartedly disagree with this, sure the sellout streak is over but we've endured a directionless 6th last and 3rd last place finish and there are still loyal fans who believe in this team. At least with a rebuild you are also selling hope and a vision, and Canucks fans will buy any little shred of that up in spades

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The Oilers and Leafs are the reason teams are so hesitant to blow it up. Nobody wants to go 10 years without making the playoffs, and getting that playoff revenue.

Oilers and Leafs are a very different storyline though - Oilers blew it up and were at the bottom of the rebuild for a long time, Leafs kept trying to retool on the fly and it never worked.

Real rebuilds work, Oilers are the example of it taking a long time but they'll come around and will be scary as hell when it happens because of the plethora of talent they've racked up - seems like they're trending up bigtime now, and they'll be contenders for a decade when they do

Not saying that Vancouver is at that point either, need to see what the results look like for 3-4 months first

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

Wrong. So wrong.Completely inaccurate and totally tone deaf.

This market is full of smart hockey fans. What they cannot stand is a team without a coherent plan that employs marginal to bad management and staff. There is nothing to believe in until ownership finally accepts the facts, hires smart people and lets them do their job the right way.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
They said the same about Toronto for a long time, then as soon as it was decided the ratings slipped for a year and we seem to have lucked out on a few draft picks and definitely lucked out getting a 1st OA and now everyone in this market seems to be very positive

I think the rebuilds are inevitable in a cap system or else you end up treading water like the leafs did for 15 years sending out picks&prospects for bandaids

I'm sure it would hurt financially for a few years, but if it came to that and Van tanked, everyone would come back when there was top flight youth to watch even if they weren't winning a lot of games

One big difference though, Vancouver is not a hockey market, fans will not show up if the team is in full tank mode, we are a very fickle fan base here. Combine that with the price of tickets here and it would be a recipe for disaster, the last time the team was that bad was the late 90's where there was talk of the team moving. Trust me when I say this market would not make it through a rebuild.

The way that Benning is doing it is the best way, people seem to forget that when Linden and Benning were hired they said right away that moves would be made that people would have issue with, which is what has happened, Benning is building from the goalie out, people don't see that, its a route that works for this market and this team.

We all saw what happened last year when we finished 27th over all and still ended up with the worst possible scenario in terms of draft picks, I really don't want to see that happen again.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Wrong. So wrong.Completely inaccurate and totally tone deaf.

This market is full of smart hockey fans. What they cannot stand is a team without a coherent plan that employs marginal to bad management and staff. There is nothing to believe in until ownership finally accepts the facts, hires smart people and lets them do their job the right way.

Do you remember the late 90's at all? I'm not wrong, do some research. Also taking that route worked so well for Edmonton right? I would rather watch a team that is trying to be competitive than one that is purposefully tanking in hopes that they might get a generational player, eventually. No thanks.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

Bang on.

I was living in Toronto when the sports media used to parrot that point. It was totally wrong there. It is wrong here.

Nobody is interested in watching boring hockey when all management aspires to do is make the playoffs.

I'd pay to watch a 19 year old budding superstar make mistakes. I will not pay to watch Dorsett, Prust, Sbisa, Vey, Clendening, Baertschi and on and on and on. Wake me up when we hire good people. Won't pay a dime until we do. Three years and running without spending a cent on the Canucks.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Bang on.

I was living in Toronto when the sports media used to parrot that point. It was totally wrong there. It is wrong here.

Nobody is interested in watching boring hockey when all management aspires to do is make the playoffs.

I'd pay to watch a 19 year old budding superstar make mistakes. I will not pay to watch Dorsett, Prust, Sbisa, Vey, Clendening, Baertschi and on and on and on. Wake me up when we hire good people. Won't pay a dime until we do. Three years and running without spending a cent on the Canucks.

Toronto is a hockey market, Vancouver isn't. Period. Vancouver also has the highest cost of living in North America, people aren't going to spend 100+ dollars on tickets to watch a team that is trying to lose.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Do you remember the late 90's at all? I'm not wrong, do some research. Also taking that route worked so well for Edmonton right? I would rather watch a team that is trying to be competitive that one that is purposefully tanking in hopes that they might get a generational player, eventually. No thanks.

Oh much more than that...I've been watching this team since 1979-80. I lived through the darkness of the mid 80's. I've watched and listened to more games than 99% of fans on these boards. I have never been less interested in this team and it has nothing to do with wins and losses. It has everything to do with hope (the opiate of professional sports fandom) and entertainment value. I am not alone.

The fans came back to this team when there was a story to follow. Drafting the Sedins was a game changer. So was drafting Linden 11 years prior. There was a huge shift in interest in this team once we got out from under Messier et al.

The jig's up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad