Confirmed with Link: Canucks Extend Gudbranson (3 years, $4M AAV)

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
This signing is bad but the signing is dreadful if they dont trade a Dman at the deadline..

Btw Guddy gets captaincy when Hank is gone, calling it

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
No NTC may come into play. Though he needs to play better and not get injured. Could be worse they could let Guddy go than trade asssets to get other big physical dman. We already did that but atleast it was not Hall quality.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Issue is this is bad if they do nothing else. If this move lets them trade Tanev then it maybe okay. Del Zotto is just blocking other dman and needs to be moved if possible. We cannot have 4 vet dmen and be this bad. They need more moves.

I'm not sure how retaining the team's #6 guy who plays 17 minutes a night will enable them to trade a top pairing defenseman. They're not really related at all unless the team has absolutely no intention of being decent over the next few years.

Reactions: dim jim

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
For all you naysayers out there who are screamy bloody murder how much do you think that this guy would have gotten on the open market as an UFA? While I am not the hugest fan of this guy he has been better of late and is one of the few guys on our team who will drop the gloves to stick up for a teammate. Overall 3 years at 4 mill a year is not that bad. No NTC as well is decent - for what it would have taken to replace this guy on the open market not a bad deal at all.........despite what all the armchair beer league experts in here might say.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Hahaha, called it:

Also, I feel really confident it will be a three-year deal because this will allow the apologists to go "See? See? You all said it would be 4 years! This isn't bad at all!" Kind of like how the Gagner/Del Zotto deals are supposedly insignificant because they aren't for 8 years or whatever.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
3 years at $4 million

With no NMC or NTC.

Had it been 4 years it would have averaged out to about $3.65 million maybe $3.75 million.

With a lack of RHD on the current roster and in the organization this is far from a terrible signing

But I am sure that won't stop the histrionics and overly dramatic statements about how and why it's terrible that Benning couldn't even throw him out the door for a measly 3rd.

I applaud this signing because it's actually not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Not terrible, objectively speaking. He’s a tradeable asset which, under an ordinary regime would be a good thing. With Benning Gud likely doesn’t get traded.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
3 years at $4 million

With no NMC or NTC.

Had it been 4 years it would have averaged out to about $3.65 million maybe $3.75 million.

With a lack of RHD on the current roster and in the organization this is far from a terrible signing

But I am sure that won't stop the histrionics and overly dramatic statements about how and why it's terrible that Benning couldn't even throw him out the door for a measly 3rd.

He's #6 in TOI/G and #7 in Even Strength TOI/G on the worst defense in the league. You don't get why people think $4M for that kind of player is a big overpayment?

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
The only way I was ever going to be willing to accept this is if it let us trade Tanev. Even that doesn't seem like it's going to happen with his fractured leg.

Let the 3 year tank commence!

edit: At least there's no NTC. If he would've received 5x5 or something ridic as a UFA on the market, maybe we can move him still.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Good contract ! 3 yr term is perfectn. I wanted around 3.75 mil so im not.going to complain about 250k

I hope he does well.. so can be a part of the core and or so he has value to be traded.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The only way I was ever going to be willing to accept this is if it let us trade Tanev. Even that doesn't seem like it's going to happen with his fractured leg.

Let the 3 year tank commence!

How are Gudbranson and Tanev related at all? Tanev is a top pairing defenseman while Gudbranson is a #6 guy on the worst defense in the NHL. If the Canucks trade Tanev with the hopes that Gudbranson is going to fill his shoes they might as well not even play the next 2-3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad