Confirmed with Link: Canucks Extend Gudbranson (3 years, $4M AAV)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Craig Button on TSN 1040 just threw the Canucks hockey ops braintrust under the bus for the Gudbranson extension.....says teams have to 'live in the present' not try to 're-write the past.....if the Gudbranson trade was mistake, you don't compound it by resigning him, you just bite the bullet and move on....called the re-signing 'bizarre'.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I'm just thinking that he had a bomb when he got here but he's been using wrist shots all season. Did Canucks bank on surgery repairing his shot? There is a spot open for a point man. Do they want Gudbranson to undertake that role?

Personally, I would never gamble on surgery fixing something kinetic. There is a fail rate. Why take extra risk? Gudbranson should have the surgery, then demonstrate his fitness at camp. If he can play, then you sign him!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm just thinking that he had a bomb when he got here but he's been using wrist shots all season. Did Canucks bank on surgery repairing his shot? There is a spot open for a point man. Do they want Gudbranson to undertake that role?

I don't think so. Gudbranson has always had a bomb of a slap shot, but that's like saying Tanev has offensive upside. At some point they are who they are.

Gudbranson should have the surgery, then demonstrate his fitness at camp. If he can play, then you sign him!

Are you suggesting that he come to Canucks camp on a PTO to prove himself worthy of a multi-year extension? You really think that's a realistic option?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

14 goals in 7 seasons. He might have a big shot but he's not getting it through much.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think he really has a big shot. It is a lot easier to shoot hard when you have a ton of time and 15-20 feet to run at the puck.

Reactions: Ryp37

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Craig Button on TSN 1040 just threw the Canucks hockey ops braintrust under the bus for the Gudbranson extension.....says teams have to 'live in the present' not try to 're-write the past.....if the Gudbranson trade was mistake, you don't compound it by resigning him, you just bite the bullet and move on....called the re-signing 'bizarre'.
Button: No question Dahlen ready to compete for NHL spot

"looks like you are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes."

Haha wow exactly.

Last edited:

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Are you suggesting that he come to Canucks camp on a PTO to prove himself worthy of a multi-year extension? You really think that's a realistic option?

Probably about as realistic as any other team in the league offering him 12 mill on a multi-year deal in the offseason coming off a trainwreck season filled with nijury.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think he really has a big shot. It is a lot easier to shoot hard when you have a ton of time and 15-20 feet to run at the puck.
Seriously, his shot sucks if he's not scoring with it or not even using it.

If Boeser scored 0 goals instead of 29, does he still have a good shot? I'd say not really.

Reactions: racerjoe

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Botchford talked about something there that scared me when I first heard about the injury.

Benning knew about the injury when they signed the contract, which means he probably used that as leverage to bring the cap hit down to $4 million.

Basically, Benning is still a trash negotiator. Gudbranson wouldn't have got **** all in free agency due to shoulder injury yet the team was still only able to bring down the cap hit to $4 million?

That's some pretty awful GMing.

I mentioned this at the time of the contract, but there's a good chance there will be a lockout for year 3 of that deal. Gudbranson is only making 3 million that year, meaning that an injured Gudbranson may end up with a 2 year / 9 million dollar extension. Just brutal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mentioned this at the time of the contract, but there's a good chance there will be a lockout for year 3 of that deal. Gudbranson is only making 3 million that year, meaning that an injured Gudbranson may end up with a 2 year / 9 million dollar extension. Just brutal.

Yup. His agents, somehow, managed to take Benning out behind the woodshed despite being in the worst negotiating position imaginable. Just pathetic.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yup. His agents, somehow, managed to take Benning out behind the woodshed despite being in the worst negotiating position imaginable. Just pathetic.

gilman spelled out a scenario that if he's correct makes benning look even stupider than just a guy who really believes in gudbranson: gudbranson's agent plays chicken and says, okay if you don't extend him at dollars and term we'll shut him down for the year and get the surgery now.

benning: oh no, but the playoffs. take all my money forever. do you want a 2nd round pick too?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
From somebody who has followed Guddy his entire career and really looked forward to seeing him on the Florida PP...he doesn't get his shot through or on net. Yeah he can really unload it. But I think he's basically taken it out of his game on his own. I remember him on the PP in the playoffs and he would just hammer it but that would be the end of the possession for them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gudbranson can hammer a puck really hard in the vacuum that is a skills competition.

In a real game? No idea how to get into shooting positions. No idea how to get shots through traffic. Can't hit the broad side of a barn. Can't one-time the puck.

He can shoot the puck hard ... but he has a terrible shot. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
HAHAHA I just read the previous two pages of this thread.

In general I try really hard in life to be prepared, do my due diligence, and perform well at work. If only Benning and co had come along before this to show me the way. I should've just worked for the Canucks this whole time, would've saved me a lot of effort.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
No no, lots of teams would have EASILY paid what the Canucks did. Because it would have been so easy for him to get that, he would have gotten offers with better term and more money. That's why Guberson's agent wouldn't let him sign now and they wanted to wait until free agency - so he could really maximize his value. That's what happened right?

It wasn't the fact that Benning was obliviously and shamelessly trying to save face over his horrible trade 2 years ago and because of that Guberson's agent knew they'd get more from the Canucks than anyone else (and this way his value didn't have to be directly compared to other 3rd pairing defenders on the market).

I mean it's not like it would be that obvious right? It's not like Erik would even mention something about how he didn't want to test the market lol in his press conference after....

Any players that are actually going to be incredibly sought after and valued in free agency are usually very scared of the extra millions they will make in it. It's a common problem superstars have.

I think he would have gotten that much as a UFA. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have traded him. We should have gotten whatever we could for him as a rebuilding team.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
I think he would have gotten that much as a UFA. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have traded him. We should have gotten whatever we could for him as a rebuilding team.
I'm sure the whole league knew about his wrecked shoulder, especially after the video footage was leaked of him wearing the massive brace. Should have just let him walk in my opinion. Pure garbage. He might play 35 games next season. Two shoulder surgeries and a wrist surgery at 26? There's our 'pushback' and 'toughness' signing. Wow.

Reactions: Pavel96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad