Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Red Wings | 4-1 (Lindholm x2, Zadorov, Miller) | Stay Classy!

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
re: the Canucks lack of scoring in the 2011 finals - they were trying to win every home game 1-0 to win the series. Lou was clearly exhausted by game 6 because he was overplayed which AV and Lou had a tendency to do. There were two times he was bad: first game after a break and when he played too many consecutive games. All other times he was lights out. The 2010-2011 season, AV was ordered to play Schneider more much to AV's and Luongo's chagrin and great for the team - Lou was rested for the playoffs for once.
Also, if we actually scored in front of Bubble Demko, or even tried, that series was ours and we could have handled the finals.
Also, had we focused on scoring instead of hitting in game 7 of '94 we would have scored the first goal and won the series.
Also, had Snepts shot from the point in game 1 gone in - or we suddenly started playing actual defense in front of Brodeur - we would have had a chance in that series in '82.
Also, Joel Otto kicked it in '89. We were the best team against the Flames so logically we would have beat everyone else that year.
Also, if scored more in front Gary Smith in '74 we would have met Philadelphia in the finals and no one would be talking about Chico Resch to this day. We had more scorers and could stand up to those goons.

but none of that matters. this is 2024.

Reactions: Play

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Neither did Boston. POS team enabled by shoddy and questionable refereeing to this day. Hell even if the Canucks went on a miracle dynasty run I'd still be salty about that. But yes our boy 7 goal luongo could've been better that series, absolutely.
We didn't score enough. You can only blame refs so much but Luongo was awful at home and our scoring dried up. Kesler was the key to our success and he was running on fumes and the Sedins just weren't good enough.

The year the Canucks could have won is 94. 2011 wasn't their year and they only inspired confidence in round 3 for me

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
//

young hedican was sneaky good iirc. stepped right in as essentially a rookie and ate solid third pair minutes. brown was very useful too, but mostly on the offensive side imo, where he was a huge addition.

it was a surprisingly solid brian glynn as a depth grab from waivers eventually subbing in when murzyn got hurt that really filled out the top six with safe guys.

in: hedican, glynn, brown

out: murzyn, dirk, slegr, plavsic
Hedican was excellent, his skating already drawing praise.

But with Dirk in the wings, every shift Murzyn was out there we were praying he wouldn't get turned and have ro draw a penalty. And as good as Babs and Jyrki were in the backend offensively, they were not Beown.

As for Janney, we already had Ronning Adams, Linden, Bure Courtnall. We didn't need more offense, we needed unbiased league, where Messier is suspended for breaking Lindens ribs with the dirty crosscheck, and none of that bs tossing Bure in the game iirc in Vancouver. Bure was pissed and wanted his gf to leave the game but she was having none of it and stayed to watch the rest of the game.

And when we got R Courtnall and other offense afterwards it didn't lead to success. Brown over Janney for sure.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
We didn't score enough. You can only blame refs so much but Luongo was awful at home and our scoring dried up. Kesler was the key to our success and he was running on fumes and the Sedins just weren't good enough.

The year the Canucks could have won is 94. 2011 wasn't their year and they only inspired confidence in round 3 for me
We BARELY got by Chicago in round 1 and as good as that felt to get by... it ruined my confidence in that bunch. Campoli being shit is really the only reason we moved on.

I almost didn't want to win the Finals that year because the goal differential was embarrassing and a record low. I want to win a cup with a really good Finals performance but I guess I'd have taken it. I honestly didn't love the 2011 team though. The 1994 team was much more loveable.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011

Luongo had 2 home shutouts in the Stanley Cup finals. His stats got distorted from blowout losses on the road where the entire team just disappeared and left him out to dry. He never let in a bad goal during a close game that whole series. The reason we lost was injuries and the Sedins not showing up. And the fact that the rulebook changed and Boston could do whatever they wanted.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Luongo had 2 home shutouts in the Stanley Cup finals. His stats got distorted from blowout losses on the road where the entire team just disappeared and left him out to dry. He never let in a bad goal during a close game that whole series. The reason we lost was injuries and the Sedins not showing up. And the fact that the rulebook changed and Boston could do whatever they wanted.
Fine. Regardless that team was fragile.

Uhhh...what
It's the truth. They were pretty horrendous overall after game 2.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
why would Goal differential matter at that point? They would’ve won
Because they were going to be the lowest scoring team to ever win a cup with a couple of blowouts in there. I dunno... it just seemed like a shitty effort to win on.

This years' team is the first time I had confidence in a team to come back or hang in there.... ever really. The early 00 teams were horrible in the playoffs as well.

If you loved the 2011 team - that is cool. I watched every second of that year and I just wasn't feeling them. I had very little faith in Luongo and the Sedins and were more than happy when they were gone. It was time to move on.

I'll always have fond memories of Kesler regardless of how that ended though.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The very definition of loser cope tbh. "Oh we didn't win? Well I totally didn't even want to win and I never cared about that team anyways." Real "you're not breaking up with me I'm breaking up with you" energy

1708117714517.gif

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
We didn't need more offense, we needed unbiased league, where Messier is suspended for breaking Lindens ribs with the dirty crosscheck

we needed pat quinn to unleash his inner torts and let momesso jump on the ice and do what he wanted to do after the messier cheap shot

then dress gino for game 7, which would have been the most legendary game seven of the SCF of all time, with gino squaring off against joey kocur off the opening faceoff

could we have won a brawl against the rangers?

kocur, kypreos, graves, beukeboom, lowe, noonan, messier… matteau was a big guy, mact would fight iirc

vs

gino, hunter, antoski, diduck, momesso, glynn, mcintyre… linden and babych were huge guys, gelinas was scrappy

Reactions: I am toxic

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
we needed pat quinn to unleash his inner torts and let momesso jump on the ice and do what he wanted to do after the messier cheap shot

then dress gino for game 7, which would have been the most legendary game seven of the SCF of all time, with gino squaring off against joey kocur off the opening faceoff

kocur, kypreos, graves, beukeboom, lowe, noonan, messier… matteau was a big guy, mact would fight iirc

vs

gino, hunter, antoski, diduck, momesso, glynn, mcintyre… linden and babych were huge guys, gelinas was scrappy

At you a hockey fan or just fighting? ;)

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

vs

This. So much this

Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad