Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 2-1 (Hoglander, Garland) | DeSmith gets the W!

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
The way things are going 1st place could match up with any of Vegas, Edmonton, LA, or the Kings Preds. It could come down to the last games. But yeah, that's a tough first round matchup. Yikes!

I hate how if Vancouver stays in 1st in the West, teams are probably going to want to stay in 8th just to play them first. Clearly the least intimidating of the bunch right now.

Reactions: quat and byrath

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So, my first period notes on Podkolzin.
(i muted my TV and focused fully on Podz)

Passing 3/3 (2 o-zone, 1 d-zone), nice pass to Garland, Garland missed his onetimer
His skating still looks awkward AF, compared to other players on the ice
2 lost puck possessions
2 won puck battles
2 times pressured the puck carrier
1 shot attempt, missed the net

to the 2nd period

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Thought they controlled play but still let a very weak team hang around, will need to generate more grade A’s in this upcoming four-game gauntlet.

There’s still time for Lindholm to pick things up but obviously this hasn’t been a good start for him as a Canuck.

Hoglander is untradeable given his surplus value this season and next. 19th even strength goal of the season and perhaps the best forward in this game.

Hughes had a great game, Zad very good as well.

Liked Podkolzin’s season debut, thought he looked like an NHLer if nothing else.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2nd period.

Passing 2/5 (4 o-zone, 1 d zone)
Nice challenge with the puck from n zone to o zone
Got some time on PP
At NHL.com it says no hits, he indeed recorded 1 hit (on Zellweger, d-zone)
3 times pressured the puck carrier
2 lost puck battles
1 time back checked
1 lost puck possession (though, penalty for ducks should have been given)
1 won puck battle

next is the 3rd period

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Really need to figure out the forward lines. Chemistry doesn't seem to be there overall and with Joshua out, Hoglander seems to be the only drink stirrer in the entire lineup.

I imagine we're searching for yet another forward to add before the deadline.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I hate how if Vancouver stays in 1st in the West, teams are probably going to want to stay in 8th just to play them first. Clearly the least intimidating of the bunch right now.
Teams (or at least fans of teams) were always going to prefer playing us over Vegas and Edmonton, even if we never faltered and finished with 130 pts

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
In an ideal world, we simply trade him to recover assets that we would use to acquire other players.

Reality is other GMs arent stupid or clueless. He's having a crappy campaign has gotten worse on a better team. We would be lucky to recover a 2nd with a crappy player/prospect. Better to be stuck with him and magically hope he develops into a complementary winger.
Don’t be so sure, we see crazy things at the deadline. NYR for KK and Schneider is my hope and we can toss in Friedman to give them a dman.

Are they taking the train?
They are the train, it’s like grand central station at that place, gets busy on the weekends.

Thought they pretty much dominated this game, the score didnt reflect the play. I know everyone is concerned, but gave up a bad bounce goal, and I thought that post shot was in, but really the Canucks had a lot more chances. The pucks just don't seem to be going in the net.
It’s the PDO adjustment we have been hearing about all season. Just got to hold on and our luck will turn.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
3rd period

4/5 passing (5 o-zone)
Nice pass to Hughes, his shot got blocked
4 times pressured the puck carrier
2 times back checked
2 won puck battles
1 lost puck battle

To sum up; 1 great play, 2 or 3 nice plays
other than that, very average, nothing special,
nothing what your regular 3rd 4th liners can't do.

He needs to improve his game a lot.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
"Teams are probably going to want to stay in 8th"?
"Clearly the least intimidating"? "Of the bunch"?

What team is licking it's chops in anticipation of facing us in the first round?

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Somebody hurt Juulsen a long time ago and he is making the world pay.

He is getting these hits in without putting himself out of place very often. Starting to see why he was a 1st round draft choice...though I would like him to change his last name to Juolevi so the healing can begin for this fan base.
Drafting Juolevi was bad, but trading him for Juulsen has turned out.... not bad? Again, have to give Benning credit there, that trade (considered in isolation) was a win.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
3rd period

4/5 passing (5 o-zone)
2 times back checked
2 won puck battles
1 lost puck battle

You have had some bad takes on him and that continues.
This was his first game in the NHL in a year with 1 practice and he was one of the more noticeable nucks all game. He did more on one shift than bains did in his entire stint.

The talent and tools is very evident and is just a matter of putting it all together . Gonna be a lot of crow being eaten over him

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

What team is licking it's chops in anticipation of facing us in the first round?
A few really bad takes in here. Vegas, Dallas, Avs Bruins all the top teams have played worse but of course only our skid the literal first one all year lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Said it before, but with Soucy, Joshua and now Myers out of the lineup, this group looks painfully small, particularly on the back-end.

It's no accident that as the play has tightened up, and teams are taking the body more as we head down the stretch, the pairing of Hronek and Hughes has seriously struggled.

This team needs more size and truculence--and also up front--or I fear the playoffs might be a 'one and done' experience. I'm sure Allvin sees the same thing. But can he address it before Friday?

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
This message shall serve as a formal notice that M2B intends to commence a lawsuit against Vector for defamation.

I have called upon the following expert witnesses: @valkynax @Kryten
I’ll represent him as legal counsel
IMG_6265.gif

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You have had some bad takes on him and that continues.
This was his first game in the NHL in a year with 1 practice and he was one of the more noticeable nucks all game. He did more on one shift than bains did in his entire stint.

The talent and tools is very evident and is just a matter of putting it all together . Gonna be a lot of crow being eaten over him
Agreed. I thought he had a solid game for his first game. Needs to continue to improve though. A solid start.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
3rd period

4/5 passing (5 o-zone)
2 times back checked
2 won puck battles
1 lost puck battle

I might not agree with your overall assessment, but I do appreciate the time you took to parse Podz’ play last night.

Thank you @Artorius Horus T

Thanks! I did see the terrible work by Lindholm, but I thought I saw Boeser cough the puck up under very little pressure when the Canucks brought it back into their own zone at the begining of that sequence.

It doesn't show up in the highlights and I don't have access to the game to check if I was correct.

For a guy who has some good hockey smarts, it sure seems like Boeser turns the puck over a lot. He's like the opposite of Hoglander who's turned into a player who consistently wins board battles.

Want to add that I appreciate your game summeries and often find myself either agreeing across the board or at least questioning my thoughts on the games that don't line up. Look forward to reading them when I can't watch the games.
Completely agree @quat. Folks like @orcatown, @MS & @Sting (among others) who provide post game summaries and analysis give people like me some insight into the games when I’m not able to watch many.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I might not agree with your overall assessment, but I do appreciate the time you took to parse Podz’ play last night.

Thank you @Artorius Horus T[/B]

Completely agree @quat. Folks like @orcatown, @MS & @Sting (among others) who provide post game summaries and analysis give people like me some insight into the games when I’m not able to watch many.

thank you.

Reactions: quat

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
Petey definitely fighting the game right now. Boeser went from slow to full on cement in his skates. Hope they get their legs back.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So, my first period notes on Podkolzin.
(i muted my TV and focused fully on Podz)

Passing 3/3 (2 o-zone, 1 d-zone), nice pass to Garland, Garland missed his onetimer
His skating still looks awkward AF, compared to other players on the ice
2 lost puck possessions
2 won puck battles
2 times pressured the puck carrier
1 shot attempt, missed the net

to the 2nd period
As awkward as his skating looks he gets there in plenty of time to pressure and engage in board battles so he has NHL utility but might be more a middle 6 guy than a top 6 guy.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
- Podkolzin did well and I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays in the remainder of the season, took up a lot of space and was physical
- Lindholm did almost literally nothing, he looks like a 13th forward and could be replaced by one at this point
- Hughes had a slightly above average game by his standards, which meant he was the best player on the ice. His ability to walk the line and control the puck in traffic generates so much extra zone time for this team
- A desperate or focused team would have destroyed the Canucks tonight, or elicited some sort of response from them
- I watched the Anaheim stream and their broadcasters are really balanced and pleasant to listen to. I always suspect I hate other teams' broadcasters because I am used to ours but I think the reality is that three quarters of them just really suck
- Reserved
You missed Shorty pointing out late in the 3rd that Miller and Lindholm (two centres) were on for the puck drop in the Canuck zone and that Lindy was 6 for 8 on the faceoff at that point. He was 7 for 9 after that and they cleared the zone. IIRC Lindy went for the line change.

Reactions: quat

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Again, the team could use more of a shoot-first system but I can see that they've noticed their overpassing tendancies and are actively trying to limit those from happening.

Pods had a great game, Im really happy for the guy and I honestly think he's here to stay.

Also,
PUT PODS ON BUMPER COWARDS.
shots were 40-18 for the Canucks. Most of them were great chances but mostly aimed right at Gibson. Score should have been much higher. We really needed to bury those.
According to ESPN's box score, we had Colin Delia in net.

Colin looked panicky for most of the game but he made great saves, especially when the D let the Ducks get in. It makes we wonder if limiting them to 18 shots got him nervous when there was a scoring chance. He was sure active with the pokes checks and managed to kill chances. Kudos - it was like Demko behind Markstrom when he just didn't get enough games in. And maybe DeSmith sorry, I mean Delia, was out for revenge.

PK was incredible and looked really good playing 5 on 6 at the end.

D in general was fantastic. When we made mistakes and Anaheim suddenly had a chance our skill would rob them of the puck outright. It was just theft! We had no business doing that. And we shut down their top line embarassing them. Anaheim has no depth.

Good turnout of Canucks fans. Shorty again speculating a lot of people were making the trip to Disneyland. Good to see the Anaheim fans at the game now.

Reactions: LordBacon

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011

Any team that would rather not play against Jets, Avs, Oilers, or Knights over Canucks.
Or maybe LA, the team that just spanked Canucks last week.

A tough schedule coming up against these strong teams, so it's Canucks time to show they belong in the same convo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad