Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 2-1 (Hoglander, Garland) | DeSmith gets the W!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This message shall serve as a formal notice that M2B intends to commence a lawsuit against Vector for defamation.

I have called upon the following expert witnesses: @valkynax @Kryten

98zru5zn9h5a1.gif

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The forward lines still don't really have much going. Mikheyev is a waste of space anywhere that's not the 4th line -- it's starting to feel very Loui Eriksson. I think they should just go with

Hoglander Pettersson Lindholm
Podkolzin Miller Boeser
Lafferty Blueger Garland
PDG Aman Mikheyev

Hopefully Soucy is back next game and Cole can have a rest.
Hughes Hronek
Soucy Friedman
Zadorov Juulsen

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Once healthy, u gotta get Petey engaged so load up the top line...then reunite garly's line with Joshua.

Petey. Jt.M Boeser
Hoggy Lindholm Mik
Garly's Line
PDG Sut Lafferty

^ at least with this, u have a top line and 3rd line that will produce. You put the leftovers on 2nd line and reduce their minutes since hoggy is used to playing lesser mins and he'd be the driver there. This makes the most sense imo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know what is about the ice at the Honda Center, but if the ice isn't the slowest in the NHL it has to be close to it. It seemed nobody could generate any speed out there--even faster guys like Miller were struggling to generate any speed through the neutral zone.

But at least they were able to stop the bleeding, and really didn't give the Ducks any room to get untracked out there. Much tougher games in L.A. and Vegas lie ahead. But a win is a win, and one they desperately needed.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Hopefully this game was the slump buster. Got the much needed win.

With the way Edmonton and Kings are playing, 1st place has a chance at matching up against Vegas.

The way things are going 1st place could match up with any of Vegas, Edmonton, LA, or the Kings Preds. It could come down to the last games. But yeah, that's a tough first round matchup. Yikes!

In an ideal world, we simply trade him to recover assets that we would use to acquire other players.

Reality is other GMs arent stupid or clueless. He's having a crappy campaign has gotten worse on a better team. We would be lucky to recover a 2nd with a crappy player/prospect. Better to be stuck with him and magically hope he develops into a complementary winger.

At least he can win face-offs, plays pretty good defense, and can play Center. Could be valuable come playoffs even though he looks like a poor man's Markus Granlund right now. Sure would be nice to have that first back. Oh well.

We control our destiny and I'd much rather play Nashville than anyone else in the first round.

I'm not so sure that's true. Nashville could end up in 7th or 8th depending on who wins their last games. Tied with the Kings and 1 point back of Vegas. Same with us, we play the Jets the last game of the season, while Dallas is also right there. Similarly the Kings and Vegas could be very close.

I could see a lot of spots being up for grabs right up to the last couple games.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The way things are going 1st place could match up with any of Vegas, Edmonton, LA, or the Kings. It could come down to the last games. But yeah, that's a tough first round matchup. Yikes!

At least he can win face-offs, plays pretty good defense, and can play Center. Could be valuable come playoffs even though he looks like a poor man's Markus Granlund right now. Sure would be nice to have that first back. Oh well.

I'm not so sure that's true. Nashville could end up in 7th or 8th depending on who wins their last games. Tied with the Kings and 1 point back of Vegas. Same with us, we play the Jets the last game of the season, while Dallas is also right there. Similarly the Kings and Vegas could be very close.

I could see a lot of spots being up for grabs right up to the last couple games.
I don't know how to even pick between them.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Replying to Quat asking if Boeser made the awful late non clearance.

No it was friggin Lindholm. As much as I was glad with how Podkolzin played, I was disappointed and pissed off with Lindholm.

Canucks eke out a win but man things are not looking good. Top end players need to be better and defense, as it is, is going to get chewed up and spat out in the playoffs. Damn lucky Anahiem is so bad. Anyhow, they needed the points and found a way to get them.

Good

Hoglander - probably best Canuck around the net right now. Time to put him in the slot on the PP.

deSmith - nice to see him bounce back after the nightmare in Minnesota. Looked a little jittery at times but he did a good job of covering up on low shots around the crease

Podkolzin - got better as the game moved on. Lights years better than Bains. Had zero problem staying in the play and battling for the puck. Plays like this and you can ink him in for next year. Most positive take away from this game.

Garland - back to being Garland. Some territific shifts that created the kind of momentum the team needed. Huge goal on very nice play from Zadorov.

Hughes - not perfect but his control of the puck was big in keeping Ducks in their zone. Great move on the first goal.

Duiseppe - think he is doing a good checking job on the 4th line. Consistent in getting pressure on the puck and clearing his zone. Too bad he doesn't have the hands to put away the chance in the third.

Bad

Friedmann - looked worse in this game then he as has in any other game this season. Way backed in on everything and rag-dolled round his net. Cole did his best to shore up that pairing but Anahiem had great chances with Friedmann playing. Think player like McWard, from what I have seen of him in Abby, might be a better alternative.

Boeser - very lackluster effort. Was slow (not much change there) and not good in his end. Should buy Miller something special for carrying him around. Don't like him out late in tight ones.

Ugly

Lindholm - that play late in the third is all you needed to see. (essentially brain dead) At present, this player is floating and, at times, looks lost. Watched him one shift (and you have to do this carefully to actually find him) where he just drifted around aimlessly in the center of the ice in his zone, covering no one and watching the play. Reminded me of Horvat but at least Horvat gave a damn and made some effort and ended up this way b/c of his poor first step. Lindholm seemed late in reacting to anything and often gave up on the play. Should be benched if there is an alternative. In the end, Podkolzin started carrying the line.

Team is playing far from good and needs to get out of these late season doldrums. Pretty obvious that the team needs to get back to scoring more goals. Chances seem there but finishing is poor.
Thanks! I did see the terrible work by Lindholm, but I thought I saw Boeser cough the puck up under very little pressure when the Canucks brought it back into their own zone at the begining of that sequence.

It doesn't show up in the highlights and I don't have access to the game to check if I was correct.

For a guy who has some good hockey smarts, it sure seems like Boeser turns the puck over a lot. He's like the opposite of Hoglander who's turned into a player who consistently wins board battles.

Want to add that I appreciate your game summeries and often find myself either agreeing across the board or at least questioning my thoughts on the games that don't line up. Look forward to reading them when I can't watch the games.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I left midway through 2nd to go to a yoga class. Guess I didn't miss much.
Good call to get out and do all the famous the famous Canuck poses!

Downward Doug Lister
Garland pose...(wait...that's real? dafuq?!)
Half forward bend (Benning's favourite from his negotiating contract days.)
Triamkin pose

There is one called half lord of the fishes pose? What kind of crazy cult madness is this "Yoga"?!

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The forward lines still don't really have much going. Mikheyev is a waste of space anywhere that's not the 4th line -- it's starting to feel very Loui Eriksson. I think they should just go with

Hoglander Pettersson Lindholm
Podkolzin Miller Boeser
Lafferty Blueger Garland
PDG Aman Mikheyev

Hopefully Soucy is back next game and Cole can have a rest.
Hughes Hronek
Soucy Friedman
Zadorov Juulsen
Suter is a clear upgrade over Mikh, Aman, Laff and PDG. Gotta put him in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad