Rumor: Canucks could flip Lindholm to Boston if they acquire Guentzel

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Get a first and a prospect back from the bruins and call it a day.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Buffalo traded scandella to Montreal for a 4th. Montreal wasn't a playoff team so they flipped scandella to STL for a 2nd + 4th like 6 weeks later. Then, the world fell apart and Montreal made the playoffs anyway as 12 seed a won a round despite trading scandella, Kovalchuk, cousins, and another forward I'm forgetting.

I'm thinking more of rental trades where its not clear that flipping the player. Decisions related to plugging an injury-related hole and cap retention is the biggest reason Montreal made the trade and then flipped the player.

Vancouver didn't trade for Lindholm with the idea to flip him at the deadline.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sounds far too interesting to actually happen at the NHL trade deadline

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
EA Sports GM mode.

Isn't this essentially what JR did in Pittsbugh? Move around deck chairs.

JR did the same exact thing with the Hagelin trade tree. Traded Hagelin for Pearson, played Pearson for 30 games, flipped Pearson for Gudbranson, played Gudbranson for 20 games and then got rid of Gudbranson.

Reactions: belair

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

• Lindholm hasn't been a great fit in Vancouver
  • Vancouver doesn't need a top 6 C now that EP is staying
  • Boston needs another top 6 C
  • Boston helps Vancouver get the other top rental on the market, ensuring nobody else in the east gets either Lindholm or Guentzal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Why is Boston giving Vancouver a 1st for a player they are trying to sell?

Because they want to get better? Van isn’t selling Lindholm. I imagine this would only be if Boston wants him enough AND Van is fine with the price on Guentzel

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
This reminds me of Vegas trading a fortune for Tatar only to trade him as a cap dump in the Pacioretty deal like 3 months later
Funny. Av's traded Tatar earlier this season after only like 20 games with the team. He just didn't work out on the Av's.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because Boston would like the player on their team as they had an interest in him not too long ago. Nucks won't be selling him pennies on the dollar a few weeks after they paid to get him.

I mean, Canucks fans have been pretty adamant that he's been bad for the Canucks though. I think they still probably get a 1st back for him, but I would expect him to bring back less now than what the Canucks traded for him.

The interesting thing with Boston is that they don't have a 2024 1st, so any 1st rounder going back would have to be 2025. I don't really know how adding an additional 2025 1st really helps them pull off Guentzel.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Bad asset management from Vancouver unless they recoup the assets they lost in the trade for Lindholm from Boston.
Agreed, however its refreshing to see a front office who can own their mistakes. Self awareness is under rated. Can't hit every trade out of the park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad