Speculation: Canucks as Third Party Trade Option for Salary Equalization

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
the canucks are not smart enough to do this. francesco aquilini is probably looking at loopholes to not pay his players lol, there's no way in hell he'll willingly take on more salary for a draft pick or two

the nhl is not savvy enough to open this up for contenders; that would actually be interesting and creating something interesting out of a terrible situation

most likely scenario is that the canucks play less games (points percentage), the nhl uses the situation as a justification for running divisional playoff bubbles for the first two rounds, and then moving the canadian division winner to the US and buying vaccinations

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
That's not what people are speculating. People are speculating that players will opt out since they are almost statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

The North division has something like a 97% chance if the 4 playoff teams in any order being.

Toronto
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Montreal

I can see that sentiment from Nucks players as they really have nothing left to play for but, when push comes to shove, I think most of them will be back with the exception of Hamonic perhaps

If players do opt out once healthy, I’d be surprised if they were allowed to LTIR

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I hope they will all recover soon but their recovery date is likely after the season:

"It is important to highlight that more than 50% of COVID-19 survivors complain of substantial fatigue two months after disease onset (60.3 ± 13.6 days) (2)."
Persistent Symptoms in Patients After Acute COVID-19

Pro-athletes may think they fully recover sooner than average people but it is not clear if this is true from anything I have read.

Maybe a scenario is that the symptomatic players may not come back and the asymptomatic may come back if they want to.

Regardless, the Canucks will likely have unprecedented Cap Space and be in need of players to finish the season.

Several teams have already been through this, though not as hard hit as Vancouver. The variant is a wild card I suppose so it may well take longer as you say

Minny, in particular was hit pretty hard earlier in the year and, if I remember correctly, returned to play with half of the blue line filled with ahlers as some players hadn’t fully recovered. Minny fans, feel free to chime in here as you will have been closer to the situation than I

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I am sure the NHL WOULD DO nothing if an entire team who did not follow the rules, suddenly quit and the team took advantage of the situation. Their season is over and the players know it. IF the players quit? no problem. the organisation gets the 32nd overall pick and are prevented from doing trades till the season ends
and who made that rule? You? get out of here man

archangel2

May 19, 2019
and who made that rule? You? get out of here man

Got to agree. The season is over for the canucks and for something like this to happen? Some players just stopped caring and the team did not enforce the rules? Why should the team be rewarded for this? I am a Canuck fan and if this goes down? They should be punished

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Vancouver is at 48/50 contracts--they can only add 2 players--unless the NHL loses it minds and makes exceptions for a team that wont make the playoffs and have quit

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Vancouver is at 48/50 contracts--they can only add 2 players--unless the NHL loses it minds and makes exceptions for a team that wont make the playoffs and have quit

Still possible with replacement contracts from the Canucks going the other way for high salary cap players on expiring contracts.

Nov 1, 2011
What's the rules for opting out as a player?

No salary and contract runs down?

Can you still opt out? I know Hamonic opted out last year, as did Rask. It's certainly allowed under some circumstances.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What's the rules for opting out as a player?

No salary and contract runs down?

Can you still opt out? I know Hamonic opted out last year, as did Rask. It's certainly allowed under some circumstances.
Playoffs have no salaries paid.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
One idea is for the Canucks to pick up players on expiring large contracts that have been on waiver this year already, though they could also act as a conduit for Taylor Hall and others to be moved to the Leafs or another team.

If Buffalo retained 50% before trading Hall to the Canucks, the Canucks could trade Hall to the Leafs with a further 50% retained so Hall would only be a salary hit of 2M pro-rated.

In this scenario the Canucks don't even add a contract.

Maybe Dubas can explain the model to the Canucks front office.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
Playoffs have no salaries paid.

There wouldn't be any playoffs for the to opt out of anyways.

I assume they don't get paid for the games they opt out of in the regular season, correct?

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
One idea is for the Canucks to pick up players on expiring large contracts that have been on waiver this year already, though they could also act as a conduit for Taylor Hall and others to be moved to the Leafs or another team.

If Buffalo retained 50% before trading Hall to the Canucks, the Canucks could trade Hall to the Leafs with a further 50% retained so Hall would only be a salary hit of 2M pro-rated.

Max retention is 50% for the player.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
In terms of another team being compensated to assume a bad salary how are these different:
"Datsyuk being plus 35 contract was costing Wings cap space, though not money. Arizona has cap room.. Both sides win
Arizona taking LTIR contracts, a win if only to get over the cap floor which isn't an issue any more. Players on LTIR do not really affect any teams cap space really, except it might affect WHEN they pay their Performance Bonuses
Leafs trade with Columbus was unique. Leafs cleared cap space by trading a poor player at 5.25m. Leafs took Horton would was getting paid out of pocket 5.25m due to his uninsured contract.
Leafs trading Phanuef. Short term the Leafs lose because they gave up an NHL Dman and took on expensive cap and cash dumps. Long term Leaf got relief from Phanef's contract.
Kessel to Pens. Leafs wanted relief from Kessel's 8m contract and average play. Leafs didn't get much in return....Kapanen and a first rounder, but were able to 6.8m (after retention) to spend on other players. Of course Pens and Kessel won, because Phil turned his career around and became a good, very good player again.
At TDL we see some cap dumps of expiring contracts from a contending to a out of the playoff team. Reason is the the contending team has made deal for a better player and need cap space." palhal

etc.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012

Well that is great and all, but what is the pick coming back?
I mean, if you are picking up cap because your teams players are on LTIR
well if its 6 Million, like you suggest.......that is a first rounder to Vancouver
What does Buffalo get? Another 1st? Seriously doubt Toronto or any other club would do that.

I could see the expiring contracts being kept so Vancouver can ice a team, and the returns being
2 and 3rds........but teams like Ottawa and NJ would be competing for those extra picks
So, I am not sure it would really work all that well.

Knowing Benning, he would be the one offering the picks.....sheesh!

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
In terms of another team being compensated to assume a bad salary how are these different:
"Datsyuk being plus 35 contract was costing Wings cap space, though not money. Arizona has cap room.. Both sides win
Arizona taking LTIR contracts, a win if only to get over the cap floor which isn't an issue any more. Players on LTIR do not really affect any teams cap space really, except it might affect WHEN they pay their Performance Bonuses
Leafs trade with Columbus was unique. Leafs cleared cap space by trading a poor player at 5.25m. Leafs took Horton would was getting paid out of pocket 5.25m due to his uninsured contract.
Leafs trading Phanuef. Short term the Leafs lose because they gave up an NHL Dman and took on expensive cap and cash dumps. Long term Leaf got relief from Phanef's contract.
Kessel to Pens. Leafs wanted relief from Kessel's 8m contract and average play. Leafs didn't get much in return....Kapanen and a first rounder, but were able to 6.8m (after retention) to spend on other players. Of course Pens and Kessel won, because Phil turned his career around and became a good, very good player again.
At TDL we see some cap dumps of expiring contracts from a contending to a out of the playoff team. Reason is the the contending team has made deal for a better player and need cap space." palhal

etc.

Great points/examples

I think the league would have a very hard time, penalizing Vancouver for taking players for picks, for the above reasons........

I would also suggest that the way Tampa got out of their Cap Hell, and others, are all "Cap" violations, but were allowed to happen.............at some point the league can not be looked at, as if they are focusing on the Canucks, as it would look like........

I don't think it would happen, but if it did, it would fit well with this crazy season..............

It would give us a whole new issue to talk about.....including all the possible trades.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wonder how that would look, a GM of a playoff team dumping one of his players to a team that's essentially done for the season due to unprecedented circumstances. That's quite a bit different than trading an overpriced player to one of the worst teams in the league for cap reasons.

NJ has around 10m cap space right now even after retaining on Zajac and Palmieri, so it's not like there aren't teams that can take on cap.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad