Speculation: Canucks as Third Party Trade Option for Salary Equalization

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The Canucks situation is incredibly sad and desperate and apparently with many players already indicating they may opt out of the rest of the season.

If all of their sick players go on the LTIR for the rest of the season, they will need to acquire players to ice a team. If teams are looking for a team to take on salaries of players with expiring contracts to facilitate other trades at the deadline, the Canucks can probably accommodate all comers.

So for example, if a team wants Hall at 50%, the Canucks can probably help out for picks or players.

This is their current active roster:

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 10.55.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I don’t have any inside information but I would expect they would just shut down the Canucks from playing for the rest of the season and then use points per game percentage for the draft purposes.

Last edited:

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I’m not sure why people are speculating that the Nucks players aren’t going to recover from this the way every other teams players have. Yes, this is a new variant but I haven’t heard anything that indicates there is a higher likelihood of long hauling due to it.

I’d expect most, if not all, of Van’s players to recover the same way everyone else has.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
It probably because when other teams got shut down it was because they only had a few players with covid. Pretty much the Canucks entire roster has it.

For example when Montreal had covid only a few players had it. Even when the games started back a player or two couldn’t play yet. For the Canucks if they were shut down for two weeks then that doesn’t guarantee that all players will be ready to return. What if only half are able to play? Then they have to stay shut down for another week or two. With only six weeks left in the regular season having them shut down for the year is maybe the best option.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I’m not sure why people are speculating that the Nucks players aren’t going to recover from this the way every other teams players have. Yes, this is a new variant but I haven’t heard anything that indicates there is a higher likelihood of long hauling due to it.

I’d expect most, if not all, of Van’s players to recover the same way everyone else has.

That's not what people are speculating. People are speculating that players will opt out since they are almost statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

The North division has something like a 97% chance if the 4 playoff teams in any order being.

Toronto
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Montreal

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

I hope they will all recover soon but their recovery date is likely after the season:

"It is important to highlight that more than 50% of COVID-19 survivors complain of substantial fatigue two months after disease onset (60.3 ± 13.6 days) (2)."
Persistent Symptoms in Patients After Acute COVID-19

Pro-athletes may think they fully recover sooner than average people but it is not clear if this is true from anything I have read.

Maybe a scenario is that the symptomatic players may not come back and the asymptomatic may come back if they want to.

Regardless, the Canucks will likely have unprecedented Cap Space and be in need of players to finish the season.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
That's not what people are speculating. People are speculating that players will opt out since they are almost statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

The North division has something like a 97% chance if the 4 playoff teams in any order being.

Toronto
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Montreal
I can see Edmonton passing Winnipeg for 2nd in the division tho . Either way I guess thell be playing eachother

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
A creative GM, of an already good team, could potentially propel themselves into championship contention by essentially doubling their operational Cap space.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think the whole team would just opt out, I doubt the Canucks would be forced to replace caphits. They could just sign a bunch of nobodies for cheap with pro-rated caphits too.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
It probably because when other teams got shut down it was because they only had a few players with covid. Pretty much the Canucks entire roster has it.

For example when Montreal had covid only a few players had it. Even when the games started back a player or two couldn’t play yet. For the Canucks if they were shut down for two weeks then that doesn’t guarantee that all players will be ready to return. What if only half are able to play? Then they have to stay shut down for another week or two. With only six weeks left in the regular season having them shut down for the year is maybe the best option.

I believe montreal only had one player have it
but 2 were in contact tracing

Reactions: Prairie Habs

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The NHL wouldn't allow such blatant cap circumvention, they'd have to make up a roster of unsigned players and AHL scraps

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sorry--the NHL would investigate VERY quickly why so many players and staff got it and why it spread so quickly.

NO way in hell the NHL would let the entire team quit and then allow the Canucks to capitalize on it

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Other teams should probably act quickly.
No, they should probably wait and see how this plays out, and get a sense of how the NHL wants to handle it. Everything up to and including shutting down the Canucks for the remainder of the season is potentially on the table.

Trades don't just happen, independent of the league office. Every single transaction has to pass muster with the league. If the Canucks seek to push through a cap circumvention-y sort of move, then the league will have to convene then and there, on the spot, and announce a ruling about how they are going to handle Vancouver at the deadline. This occurs before the transaction in question receives league approval.

There's no such thing as getting on this quickly and ramming it through before the league can react, though. The league office reviews every NHL transaction before approving it. Without approval, the transaction doesn't happen.

The league will provide guidance, and teams will be waiting on the league to sound off. My guess is that the league would frown on this sort of thing if it sees a team get significant cap relief from a team that is going dormant, but who knows. Any whiff of cap circumvention will not get very far.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This year just keeps getting weirder

I have no interest or any excitement whatsoever for the playoffs and who will win the Cup. Let's just get this bizzaro season over with and HOPEFULLY things are back to normal next season

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
I am sure the NHL WOULD DO nothing if an entire team who did not follow the rules, suddenly quit and the team took advantage of the situation. Their season is over and the players know it. IF the players quit? no problem. the organisation gets the 32nd overall pick and are prevented from doing trades till the season ends

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
No, they should probably wait and see how this plays out, and get a sense of how the NHL wants to handle it.
If the Canucks seek to push through a cap circumvention-y sort of move...

The Trade Deadline is on April 12th, so time, as they say, is of the essence.

Putting sick player on the LTIR is legitimate so how is this cap circumvention.

The Golden Knight took advantage of this sort of cap sharing to mutual advantage and the Kraken model will probably include similar aspects to this scenario.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad