Proposal: Canucks and Penguins

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Both teams stick w/ what they have: Jake Guentzel has chemistry w/ Sidney Crosby & Evgeni Malkin, and is producing as an elite 1st-line player when playing w/ them. It's not a guarantee that he'd do the same playing w/ Elias Pettersson & Bo Horvat. And vice versa in regards to Brock Boeser. Also, Boeser being 2.5years younger fits the Canucks window better; as does Guentzel being in his prime right now fits the Penguins window better.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Both teams stick w/ what they have: Jake Guentzel has chemistry w/ Sidney Crosby & Evgeni Malkin, and is producing as an elite 1st-line player when playing w/ them. It's not a guarantee that he'd do the same playing w/ Elias Pettersson & Bo Horvat. And vice versa in regards to Brock Boeser. Also, Boeser being 2.5years younger fits the Canucks window better; as does Guentzel being in his prime right now fits the Penguins window better.
Agreed but if it's based on pure value Jake is higher. This should be clear

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Agreed but if it's based on pure value Jake is higher. This should be clear

So you're saying that Jake Guentzel didn't benefit more from playing w/ Sidney Crosby last year, than Brock Boeser did from playing w/ Elias Pettersson? Therefore Crosby & Pettersson are equals? Cool, I'll tell Alien that you said that if I see him around town. :sarcasm:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Penguins won't do this. Guentzel has chemistry with Crosby and can put up 40 goals, also cost controlled for 2 more years than Boeser at a similar AAV.

That's not to say Boeser wouldn't be able to do the same if he played with Crosby but if you're Pittsburgh, why take that chance.

Guentzel has chemistry with Crosby and Malkin. Last year Guentzel was a 40 goal scorer with Crosby and this season Guentzel was on pace for 40+ goals this season with Malkin before the injury. 39 games 20 goals and 43 points this season with almost all those games with Malkin.

Honestly why would the Pens do this? Guentzel is by far the Pens best winger and has proven to be a 40 goal scorer with doing it last year and again this season was on the same pace or higher before injury. I don't see why a team would trade a player that is a proven playoff stud signed to a very cap friendly contract for year's. Guentzel is only 25 and looks to be a consistent 40 goal winger and point a game type player for a $6 million cap hit. Pens would have to get a major overpayment to trade him and even then I think Rutherford would think twice. You never know how a player will mess with their new team so why take the risk if you are the Penguins?

The other point you said was also very good about those extra two years under contract at that cap hit. Most likely Boeser would cost much more against the cap for those last two years of the Guentzel contract.

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So you're saying that Jake Guentzel didn't benefit more from playing w/ Sidney Crosby last year, than Brock Boeser did from playing w/ Elias Pettersson? Therefore Crosby & Pettersson are equals? Cool, I'll tell Alien that you said that if I see him around town. :sarcasm:
Jake can play with either geno or sid... he has more pure talent and a better nose for the net . This isn't that hard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad