GDT: Canucks 4, Sabres 2: Give Derek Dorsett the 32,317 dollars

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Offside in every other sport is pretty clear and as black/white as can be. Not sure how the NHL gets it wrong as often as they do during play, and after a review. It's a pretty big joke.
A player who is actually in possession and control of the puck prior to entering the attacking zone and precedes the puck into the zone is not considered “off-side.”

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
A player who is actually in possession and control of the puck prior to entering the attacking zone and precedes the puck into the zone is not considered “off-side.”
This rules weird. Theoretically you could enter the zone skating backwards with control but I'm almost positive they've always called that offside

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This rules weird. Theoretically you could enter the zone skating backwards with control but I'm almost positive they've always called that offside
You can skate in any way you like with control and its not offside

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
This is true in theory, but in practice, backing into the zone in control of the puck is whistled off-sides almost 100% of the time.

Do you have any proof of that or just making stuff up?

I've already seen two players do it this season not called offside. Marleau and now Virtanen. Higgins did it all the time without getting called.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember learning that rule when I was about 10 and Dave McIllwain scored a goal where he carried the puck over the blueline backward. Was joint TSN Turning Point with a goal that bounced off Mike Foligno's butt. :laugh:

I disagree that that constituted possession, though and have never not seen a play like that where he didn't have the puck on his stick considered offside.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless of how this season turns out, you have to give props to Green so far.....not afraid to totally shake things up after a poor outing....reunites his checking line of Sutter, Granlund and Dorsett and they all pick up points; and sticks his 8-minute a night player Virtanen up with the Sedins (who saw that coming?)....and presto, they outshoot the Sabres 41-20.....chances of Willie shaking up the lineup like that in the middle of a road trip---near zero. Keeps the players on their toes if nothing else.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is d-man transitions the new Corsi? Seems like it's all I'm seeing anywhere this year. Just want to keep up on the "important" advanced stats.

Reactions: Grantham

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
In the NHL rulebook, Rule 83.1 on “off-side” explains the situation as such: “… a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered ‘off-side,’ provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.”

I am, or was, since i retired for medical reasons, a referee. This rule is not standard everywhere. For years the NHL did not follow this rule. I am trying to find when it was changed. It was one of noted differences between junior hockey which has allowed this for a long time, and the NHL.

The referees made the correct call. The main point was that Virtanen had control to the point he looked up to see where the Sedins were, i gather that was the deciding point was that he didn't need to look down to pass the puck.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
This was part of the problem i had with Markstrom the last 2 yrs and why i had a Miller-is-the-#1 preference.

Too leaky, and gave up (what i felt) were too many backbreaking goals despite good looking numbers.

Was not as comfortable watching a game with Markstrom in net as I was Miller.
Many people didnt fathom what i meant and kept throwing numbers at me. well.. those people know now.
Wish he would spread out the untimely and/or soft goals out a bit more like the last couple yrs...or..
Hopefully it means he's getting them all out of the way early.
I always felt Miller was getting in the way of our run for the tankard.

Should be smoother sailing this season sans Miller.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Never could understand what the Canucks saw in Dorsett, but now apparent he's been playing the last couple of seasons with a bad neck....pretty difficult to play a physical, fourth-line game with a disc problem.....looks to be healthy now and is a difference-maker with his skating and physicality....you have to feel good for him.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Dont get your hopes up. The chances he keeps up this pace and doesnt get hurt or regress to the mean are very small.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Never could understand what the Canucks saw in Dorsett, but now apparent he's been playing the last couple of seasons with a bad neck....pretty difficult to play a physical, fourth-line game with a disc problem.....looks to be healthy now and is a difference-maker with his skating and physicality....you have to feel good for him.

Blue Jackets fans LOVED Dorsett. Rangers fans to a lesser extent. Obviously we had the older version and more expensive version, but it's easy to see why a team would like Dorsett. He's an NHL regular who can skate, hit, fight, kill penalties, and is decently skilled for a 4th line player. And you can go to the Cup finals with him taking a regular shift on your 4th line.

Reactions: Nomobo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Blue Jackets fans LOVED Dorsett. Rangers fans to a lesser extent. Obviously we had the older version and more expensive version, but it's easy to see why a team would like Dorsett. He's an NHL regular who can skate, hit, fight, kill penalties, and is decently skilled for a 4th line player. And you can go to the Cup finals with him taking a regular shift on your 4th line.
3rd line wasnt it?

And a very outstanding one that run...

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Dorsett and Sutter are a good pair. They are fast and don't try and be skilled. They can just go and muck around. Don't like them playing so much though. I think they've had a lot of puckluck so far and believe that'll settle a bit. However they are the correct pairing for players as far as this team is built.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00