Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Canes 3 (OT) Pt. II - Peen and red pepper dip are the REAL MVPs tonight

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
My point was that we according to many we are supposed to be the worst team in the NHL so I find it encouraging that there are already two that are even worse.

I prefer taking a glass half full kind of approach.

Not trying to tell you how to think man but it's been two stinkin' games... it's a lonnnnnnnnng season, let's get more games under our belt before we proudly announce "there will be healthy heapings of crow served around here"

Maybe I'm overreacting to our fanbase's tendency to, well, overreact... but there's been years where we started like gangbusters and years where we started like a lottery team. We always ended up where we ended up - we have yet to emulate the 62 win 96 Red Wings or the expansion 8 win 74 Capitals. The common thread through all of these years was this fanbase's tendency to freak out, no matter the outcome.

Of course, that's not an entirely fair generalization. I've stuck around here (as in HF) for eons because there are many knowledgeable and insightful posters here... from every fanbase. Likewise with walking the streets. Lots of great fans. Don't get me wrong here... the propensity to overreact is still there though - for example, I too was like "WTF" when Horvat started on the 4th line but it lasted all of a game (although management stepping in to force Willie to shift his lines in light of the bad PR is a fun theory)

But yeah. Back on my rant... It's maddening sometimes. Again, it's been TWO STINKIN GAMES.

To actually talk about the game - it was a more entertaining product and a "better" game for sure. Still lots of sloppy play though. Marky looked shaky. Sbisa has been serviceable for a ridiculously overpaid #6/7 but he's still Sbisa, who lacks basic hockey sense and is prone to plays that would make the half-dead corpse of Brad Marsh look like a superstar NHL defenseman by comparison. We definitely struggled to get shots through, and when we had a good look, we often missed. I agree with whoever said they need to practice shooting earlier in the other GDT. Depth if (or is it when?) injuries occur is a huge concern. I'll give you that guys such as Dorsett, Granlund and Sutter have had some moments but the nature of the game is that these support players will inevitably hit dry spells. That's why they're support players, and not stars.

For sure I'll take the win but I'm not going to renege on my belief that this is a team that needs a LOT to go right to even be a wildcard. Lots of ifs. Given my love for this team, I'd love to be wrong.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Not trying to tell you how to think man but it's been two stinkin' games... it's a lonnnnnnnnng season, let's get more games under our belt before we proudly announce "there will be healthy heapings of crow served around here"

Maybe I'm overreacting to our fanbase's tendency to, well, overreact... but there's been years where we started like gangbusters and years where we started like a lottery team. We always ended up where we ended up - we have yet to emulate the 62 win 96 Red Wings or the expansion 8 win 74 Capitals. The common thread through all of these years was this fanbase's tendency to freak out, no matter the outcome.

Of course, that's not an entirely fair generalization. I've stuck around here (as in HF) for eons because there are many knowledgeable and insightful posters here... from every fanbase. Likewise with walking the streets. Lots of great fans. Don't get me wrong here... the propensity to overreact is still there though - for example, I too was like "WTF" when Horvat started on the 4th line but it lasted all of a game (although management stepping in to force Willie to shift his lines in light of the bad PR is a fun theory)

But yeah. Back on my rant... It's maddening sometimes. Again, it's been TWO STINKIN GAMES.

To actually talk about the game - it was a more entertaining product and a "better" game for sure. Still lots of sloppy play though. Marky looked shaky. Sbisa has been serviceable for a ridiculously overpaid #6/7 but he's still Sbisa, who lacks basic hockey sense and is prone to plays that would make the half-dead corpse of Brad Marsh look like a superstar NHL defenseman by comparison. We definitely struggled to get shots through, and when we had a good look, we often missed. I agree with whoever said they need to practice shooting earlier in the other GDT. Depth if (or is it when?) injuries occur is a huge concern. I'll give you that guys such as Dorsett, Granlund and Sutter have had some moments but the nature of the game is that these support players will inevitably hit dry spells. That's why they're support players, and not stars.

For sure I'll take the win but I'm not going to renege on my belief that this is a team that needs a LOT to go right to even be a wildcard. Lots of ifs. Given my love for this team, I'd love to be wrong.

I think a lot of what you are seeing is in direct response to slamming for the last 6 months where every thread was basically the same thread of everyone sucks. I think it will cool down and come to something in the middle soon.

You look at the game day thread for instance and there were a couple who came in to bash when the canucks were down(and before the game). They got really quiet as the game went on and then one finally just swore when we won....not exactly endearing behaviour on most forums/groups.

But like I said, I think as the season goes on we will come to a more middle ground forums instead of leaning highly negative/positive. Like it used to be around here.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well, you did call them lesser teams. I happen to believe that we'll beat out the Flames and I'm not too worried about the Canes as we're not competing with them. I believe that last year was an anomaly, a "perfect storm" so to speak so without addressing our added depth, we are better than last season.

Lesser teams in terms of the league as a whole. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The Canes finished 10 points ahead of the canucks last year. That's a fair bit of ground to make up.

A perfect storm? Players got hurt. It'll happen again this year. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if Henrik is already playing through something with his back. There were times in the limited amount of WC I watched where he seemed to be in some discomfort. One of the top 4 D-men will go down as they do every year. Maybe even more than one. etc etc etc. It wasn't a perfect storm it may have been above average but it wasn't horrendous. Speaking of horrendous...Willie is still behind the bench.

Also I'll gladly eat crow if in April this team is truly improved. Just as I was willing to eat crow last year and the year before etc etc etc. I have my opinions but am not so arrogant to know I have been wrong and will be wrong again.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I just hope they leave these forward lines together for a while and let them develop some chemistry. The Granlund/Sutter/Hansen line was quite good. In terms of the defense, I don't know what's going on down there. Edler-Tanev has been relatively bad thus far, and we saw Tanev with Sbisa, and Edler with Larsen to end the game. Thankfully, Hutton-Gudbranson has looked good or else the blue line would be a total mess.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
So far hfcanucks most hated players have looked half decent

Granlund
Gudbranson
Dorsett

While Eddie Lack, this boards most beloved mascot looked awful.

And the Canucks come out of the gate 2-0

Gonna be a lot of people in bad moods today.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nice to see a couple wins. Odds are it will still be a long season, but can't complain about starting 2-0.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
So far hfcanucks most hated players have looked half decent

Granlund
Gudbranson
Dorsett

While Eddie Lack, this boards most beloved mascot looked awful.

And the Canucks come out of the gate 2-0

Gonna be a lot of people in bad moods today.

to be fair if they sucked they would be non stop talking about it. The fact McCnn and Shinkaruk look like B prospects now is kind of lol.

Even I felt for Eddie when the 4th puck went in, he looked so dejected. Miller is a superior goalie salary cap or not but I can see why so many people hate Miller and love Eddie, personality wise it's 100 to 0

2 games but yes, everythings coming up Milhouse

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Dorsett currently sitting at an easy 72% CF% with nearly 75% Dzone starts. Ill.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

I was mainly addressing the crowd that has us finishing bottom three in the league before the season even started. I don't feel that I was "overreacting" as much as trying to counter the overwhelming negativity so prevailing here. I've been a fan of and watched the Canucks since close to the beginning and have gone through the extreme highs and lows so I know that "TWO STINKING GAMES" are not necessarily a promise of greatness or a harbinger of doom.

I thought the game was entertaining in spite of some sloppy play, love a come from behind game and we didn't have much of that last season. That's another thing that makes me hopeful and optimistic enough to think that we should be able improve by ten to fifteen points. Sbisa has been more good than serviceable and should he be able to carry on this way, he should not be considered overpaid. You said it's only been "TWO STINKING GAMES", that could also be the reason that play looks a little scrambly. Dorsett, Granlund and Sutter have had more than just "moments', they have been among our best players and all players hit dry spells at some point during the long to the playoffs.

I'll take the win too and won't renege on my belief that we make the payoffs unless disaster strikes in the form of serious injuries to key players at the same time as occurred last season. If I'm proven wrong, no big deal, been there, done that and I'll be back next year.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Virtanen's been getting a lot of flack in this thread and the last, but something that hasn't been mentioned a lot is how good he is at getting in passing lanes. I noticed at least 4 times last night where he intercepted a pass to send play the other way.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Man iam really worried about the 32nd team in an expansion draft.

Gaunce
Hutton
Granlund
Baertschi

gonna lose someone

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Virtanen's been getting a lot of flack in this thread and the last, but something that hasn't been mentioned a lot is how good he is at getting in passing lanes. I noticed at least 4 times last night where he intercepted a pass to send play the other way.

I missed the hit by Virtanen. Can't find it anywhere, has anyone got it?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I wouldn't mind at all to see Virtanen spend the entire year with the big club. He's only just turned 20 and mistakes will be the norm. The key is that he is given consistent linemates and steady minutes, in order to build confidence.

Of course if he's playing <10 minutes per night up here, or shuffled to the 4th line, it's better for him to be playing 15+ mins in Utica.

I try to make it a point to not pass judgement on any player before they are 23 and off their ELC though.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I wouldn't mind at all to see Virtanen spend the entire year with the big club. He's only just turned 20 and mistakes will be the norm. The key is that he is given consistent linemates and steady minutes, in order to build confidence.

Of course if he's playing <10 minutes per night up here, or shuffled to the 4th line, it's better for him to be playing 15+ mins in Utica.

I try to make it a point to not pass judgement on any player before they are 23 and off their ELC though.

I think that's a pretty good idea myself.

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
Man iam really worried about the 32nd team in an expansion draft.

Gaunce
Hutton
Granlund
Baertschi

gonna lose someone

Hutton is exempt. Unless a trade happens, looks like Canucks will have to protect 1 of Hansen, Granlund, Gaunce, Rodin and risk losing 1 of the unprotected 3.

Edit: See Here

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm pretty sure even the biggest pessimists (besides maybe Y2KCanucks) thought the 63-65 point predictions were ridiculous.

Yeah, I think this team is an absolute cluster **** but still have them ~20 points better than that.

It's a great start. But all the same people were telling everyone to eat crow when we started 3-0 last year ... and that didn't turn out so great.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He means the year or two years after when the 32nd team comes. And I can't believe I am agreeing with Bowie but he is right, that expansion draft will likely hit us harder unless we have a few significant retirees by then.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's a great start. But all the same people were telling everyone to eat crow when we started 3-0 last year ... and that didn't turn out so great.

Yeah, and those were convincing wins and/or wins against great teams (5-1 vs. CGY, 2-1 vs. ANA, and 3-0 vs. LAK). This year's team hasn't even managed to have a lead at any point yet.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I think a lot of what you are seeing is in direct response to slamming for the last 6 months where every thread was basically the same thread of everyone sucks. I think it will cool down and come to something in the middle soon.

You look at the game day thread for instance and there were a couple who came in to bash when the canucks were down(and before the game). They got really quiet as the game went on and then one finally just swore when we won....not exactly endearing behaviour on most forums/groups.

But like I said, I think as the season goes on we will come to a more middle ground forums instead of leaning highly negative/positive. Like it used to be around here.

Well, I wasn't really singling out Bonose (even though his post was the one I quoted)... I don't really "get" actively cheering for a tank or being excessively negative about the team myself. There's just as much evidence for a full-blown rebuild throwing teams into hockey purgatory as there is for it being the road to NHL success. For every Pittsburgh or Chicago, you have an Edmonton (or until recently, NY Islanders and Florida), who suck for years and apparently get locked into a cycle of mediocrity and foster a losing culture.

Where my opinion seems to diverge from the talking heads in management is that I'd like to see a less aggressive retool. I'd hoard my picks, I'd use cap space to take on bad expiring contracts (i.e. Tervainanen/Bickell, the Datsyuk trade, etc etc). I'd bide my time and try to bring in as many picks, prospects and youth as possible in the hope of getting lucky. If you cast a net wide enough, you just might manage to net some good talent. There's no guarantees obviously though... and I'm not sure ownership would ever sign off on a management style that is admittedly rather "laissez faire" about where we finish in the standings

Anyhow, I get off on that rabbit trail only so people *get* where I'm coming from and I don't come off as some wannabe dictator attempting to hijack the conversation

Back on point, to some extent I *get* the negativity... when you consider the quality and talent of the team back when we were contenders, it's difficult to be as upbeat about this squad. Throw in the lack of high end talent as obvious successors when the Sedins retire/decline and the iffy management and coaching and it becomes easy to see how there's so much negativity. Teams like Toronto and Edmonton have a lonnnnnnnnng ways to go yet but they have some pretty exciting young talent that makes them fun to watch.

We have *some*, but it's gonna be quite a leap for them to become as good as a McDavid/Matthews type, or even Sedin replacement level caliber. I really like guys like Bo and Sven, but as the saying goes "It is what it is".

So yeah. Maybe you're right and it balances out... maybe it doesn't though. Like I said, I understand the feelings of malaise, given we don't seem to have much to look forward to.

I was mainly addressing the crowd that has us finishing bottom three in the league before the season even started. I don't feel that I was "overreacting" as much as trying to counter the overwhelming negativity so prevailing here. I've been a fan of and watched the Canucks since close to the beginning and have gone through the extreme highs and lows so I know that "TWO STINKING GAMES" are not necessarily a promise of greatness or a harbinger of doom.

Like I said above, even though I was quoting your post, I was kinda picking a fight with both camps (both the excessively negative and the excessively positive). My apologies if it felt I was targetting you explicitly. :)

I haven't seen too many projections of people here but MS literally just posted how he anticipates us to finish significantly higher than the mid-sixties in points. Honestly, other than a few publications, I'm not sure anyone is *that* down on this team. And it's pretty hard to get that low of a total when there's points for OT/shootout losses and every game is decided (one way or another). But maybe I should just shaddup and clarify who exactly you're trying to address here...?

I thought the game was entertaining in spite of some sloppy play, love a come from behind game and we didn't have much of that last season. That's another thing that makes me hopeful and optimistic enough to think that we should be able improve by ten to fifteen points.

Oh, I agree it was a fairly entertaining game for sure! And it IS encouraging for sure... but I think it's also fair to wonder how many times we'll be able to climb out of that kind of hole with our iffy offense and facing stiffer competition. We'll see I guess

Sbisa has been more good than serviceable and should he be able to carry on this way, he should not be considered overpaid.

Ugh, given that a guy like Hamhuis signed for a tiny bit more (3.75M) I'm not too sure about that... my phone is low batt and I'm too lazy to dig up more applicable comparables but I think most would agree that $3.6M is pricey for a bottom pairing defenseman. Heck, Braydon Coburn gets something like that and he can play up in the lineup if necessary... don't think Sbisa can, really

You said it's only been "TWO STINKING GAMES", that could also be the reason that play looks a little scrambly.

Agreed. I never said otherwise!

Dorsett, Granlund and Sutter have had more than just "moments', they have been among our best players and all players hit dry spells at some point during the long to the playoffs.

Sure, but star players and good players tend to slump less often and have slumps shorter in duration. I think it's a pretty valid concern. And again, just because I'm more modest in my praise of the players doesn't mean I don't mostly agree with what you said.

I'll take the win too and won't renege on my belief that we make the payoffs unless disaster strikes in the form of serious injuries to key players at the same time as occurred last season. If I'm proven wrong, no big deal, been there, done that and I'll be back next year.

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree then. But hey, I'll be around too and look forward to a few more good arguments before I keel over or get banned (I speak in jest) :naughty:

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, and those were convincing wins and/or wins against great teams (5-1 vs. CGY, 2-1 vs. ANA, and 3-0 vs. LAK). This year's team hasn't even managed to have a lead at any point yet.
My expectations for this team hasn't changed I still expect them to finish somewhere between 20th - 30th overall.
I am enjoying a good start from the players I have to read and listen to so much complaining about: Suter, Granlund, Gudbranson, Dorsett.

After doing a lot of listening to Botch's hyena's and reading this message board over the summer I was expecting this team to barely be able to skate and stick handle at the same time and go 0-82.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad