Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Canes 3 (OT) Pt. II - Peen and red pepper dip are the REAL MVPs tonight

JA

They've been fine so far, but being down against two awful teams and barely squeaking out a come from behind victory against them doesn't exactly put anyone in their place.
The Hurricanes also melted down against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday; they led by a score of 4-1 and squandered it, then lost in OT. Hurricane fans must be worried about their team. This has been a very bad week for them.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
what does beating bad teams have to do with anything. the prediction was 65 points we're 8% there

who gives a **** about these "predictions" you and i clearly know where that post was directed at. go back to the game day threads from the start of last season, people were posting the same kind of stuff, it's incredibly premature.

JA

This isn't the worst team in the league. This roster is better than last year's, and unless there are significant injuries like last season, they'll likely be competing for a playoff position in March and April.

Bo looks like he hasn't slowed down from last season; Jannik Hansen is on the third line; our younger players are a year older; Brandon Sutter has returned. All four lines look very solid, especially with Jack Skille as a potential replacement for Alex Burrows. The Sutter line offers speed and excellent two-way play -- their explosiveness and offensive abilities allow them to create offense, but they are also very skilled defensively. Sven, Bo, and Jake Virtanen are all poised to take another step forward offensively, and a full year of them at their height of their game will be better than the half-season we witnessed last season. The addition of Loui Eriksson, meanwhile, allows everyone to play in their proper positions, whereas the team had been looking for a Burrows replacement on the top line last season. Anton Rodin gives this team additional scoring depth.

Ben Hutton is a better player this season; the defence corps looks better overall with Erik Gudbranson and Philip Larsen replacing Dan Hamhuis and Matt Bartkowski, respectively.

The biggest question mark is to what degree the Sedins have declined since 2014-15. Two seasons ago, they were still fairly high-end players. If the top line isn't producing, the team will struggle. If they can produce like a top line should, then this is a playoff team.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuongosTirePump

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
The Hurricanes also melted down against the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday; they led by a score of 4-1 and squandered it, then lost in OT. Hurricane fans must be worried about their team. This has been a very bad week for them.

Have you seen their building during a home game? No fans there to even worry.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
granlund has been impressive from the beginning of training camp and carried onto the preseason and now 2 games in. hes scoring skating really well and getting his shot off quick. sutter/hansen=very good duo.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
This game was a lot of fun to watch. I'm really liking how Baertschi is looking, same with Hutton Granlund Horvat and Gaunce. Eriksson is a hound on the puck, which is really going to complement the Sedin's possessive style. Already we've seen some extended shifts in the zone where he retrieves a couple pucks to maintain the attack.

Larsen kinda reminding me of Yannick Weber, but with way better passing abilities.

We're a couple of injuries away from being basement dwellers, but a relatively healthy season could mean making the playoffs on the bubble.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Have you seen their building during a home game? No fans there to even worry.

I always giggle when Canuck fans make fun of other fan bases. We should not be talking IMO...

And plus its not like Rogers was sold out tonight, lots of empty seats. Vancouver is a very fickle sports city

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I don't think that Virtanen hit was that bad, seemed kind of reactionary and wasn't particularly hard or anything. He looks like he knows he shouldn't have done it immediately after too lol. Probably should still at least get a phone call and fine though.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Nice comeback but we spotted a pretty bad team a 3goal lead. We can compare it to last year but we pulled similar things off early last year as well. Players find goals and it looks like we have depth until 20 games later when we don't anymore.

Granlund sutter and Hansen looked good last night.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Nice comeback but we spotted a pretty bad team a 3goal lead. We can compare it to last year but we pulled similar things off early last year as well. Players find goals and it looks like we have depth until 20 games later when we don't anymore.

Granlund sutter and Hansen looked good last night.

Yeah, but aren't we supposed to be the worst team in the league? Now after two games we've already found two teams worse than us. There will be healthy heapings of crow served around here and no, I'm not saying we're cup contenders.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah, but aren't we supposed to be the worst team in the league? Now after two games we've already found two teams worse than us. There will be healthy heapings of crow served around here and no, I'm not saying we're cup contenders.

I'd be hard pressed to say the Flames were the poorer team on Saturday. Both teams were poor but I think the flames were the better team for 50+ minutes and then the back to back early in the season caught up to them. Last night as well was a demonstration of two pretty poor teams I think. A lot of loose play, missed assignments etc. Now the 4 points is nice but very little from the first two games has me excited moving forward and for games against actually good teams. Beating a team doesn't make you better over 82 games, it MAY mean you were better on that one particular night but there are 80 more to go that will definitively show where the team belongs.

They have two wins --> that's good
They barely won against lesser teams playing poorly --> that's not good
They are completely healthy --> which is good but also bad because they won't be healthy for long and the depth is not good

The game last night for me a good start for the first 10 minutes. Canes were better for the next 30 minutes. Canucks better for the final 20. While the Sutter line ended the night off well, like every other line they were invisible for the majority of the game. Essentially what I'm saying is that through two games we maybe have seen 60 minutes of total effort. That isn't going to cut it moving forward.

Last edited:

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I'd be hard pressed to say the Flames were the poorer team on Saturday. Both teams were poor but I think the flames were the better team for 50+ minutes and then the back to back early in the season caught up to them. Last night as well was a demonstration of two pretty poor teams I think. A lot of loose play, missed assignments etc. Now the 4 points is nice but very little from the first two games has me excited moving forward and for games against actually good teams. Beating a team doesn't make you better over 82 games, it MAY mean you were better on that one particular night but there are 80 more to go that will definitively show where the team belongs.

They have two wins --> that's good
They barely won against lesser teams playing poorly --> that's not good

My point was that we according to many we are supposed to be the worst team in the NHL so I find it encouraging that there are already two that are even worse.

I prefer taking a glass half full kind of approach.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Hey guys, Canes fan here. Was impressed with the play of Hansen. He is a high energy clutch player. Would look amazing on J. Staals wing, I'm jealous. I would not be too down on playing a good game with the Canes. We will surprise people this year, we are a scrappy young team with a strong youthful defensive core.

Personally I am hoping we get out of this 2 1/2 week road trip at around .500 and then go from there. Looks like our streak of losses in Vancouver continues for another day!

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Sbisa - I know the on-going criticisms but the guy has played solid so far. Going to the body, being a little mean and forcing the play in every zone. Plays like this and he is not hurting the team.

Gaunce - well looked very bad at times and skating issues were evident. However, had decent third and line was a disruptive force in the late going. Got to give credit here to Dorsett and Burrows as well. Thought they looked poor for much of the game but came around with some very good and important shifts that kept momentum going for the team in the latter part of the game.

Agreed on both counts - although whenever I've tried to see the positives in Sbisa and/or defend him he's always followed up a good game with a string of brutal ones involving his characteristic pizzas...:help:

And Gaunce is just meh. Prefer Cracknell in his role, not sure this guy is going to stick in the NHL.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
My point was that we according to many we are supposed to be the worst team in the NHL so I find it encouraging that there are already two that are even worse.

I prefer taking a glass half full kind of approach.

And my point is that one head-to-head game doesn't mean one team is actually truly better than the other. When the dust settles I'm confident the FAlems will indeed be better. The Canes I'm not sure as they are very young and making young player mistakes but I expect they'll be similar (the combined age of their top pairing is 46). Again nice to get the 4 points and maybe I'm a pessimist but I saw more things wrong with the canucks game/team than right with it over the weekend. I think these first two games were weaker than the games they won to start last season.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
And my point is that one head-to-head game doesn't mean one team is actually truly better than the other. When the dust settles I'm confident the FAlems will indeed be better. The Canes I'm not sure as they are very young and making young player mistakes but I expect they'll be similar (the combined age of their top pairing is 46). Again nice to get the 4 points and maybe I'm a pessimist but I saw more things wrong with the canucks game/team than right with it over the weekend. I think these first two games were weaker than the games they won to start last season.

Well, you did call them lesser teams. I happen to believe that we'll beat out the Flames and I'm not too worried about the Canes as we're not competing with them. I believe that last year was an anomaly, a "perfect storm" so to speak so without addressing our added depth, we are better than last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad