Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Canes 3 (OT) Pt. II - Peen and red pepper dip are the REAL MVPs tonight

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
To quote the two young ladies beside me during the game: "Bo for it".

Turns out I misheard, but still, there have been worse catch phrases.

Granlund and Sutter delivered, Horvat looked swell, and I can even almost forgive Sbisa by games end. Markstrom looked a little shaky after the first goal, but the team rallied.

Dorsett was the only player I feel didn't improve by the third. The guy looked simply over matched, couldn't provide the spark with his physicality he can or has done in the past, and despite his assist, I think he should be rotated out for the next game.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Well, I wasn't really singling out Bonose (even though his post was the one I quoted)... I don't really "get" actively cheering for a tank or being excessively negative about the team myself. There's just as much evidence for a full-blown rebuild throwing teams into hockey purgatory as there is for it being the road to NHL success. For every Pittsburgh or Chicago, you have an Edmonton (or until recently, NY Islanders and Florida), who suck for years and apparently get locked into a cycle of mediocrity and foster a losing culture.

Where my opinion seems to diverge from the talking heads in management is that I'd like to see a less aggressive retool. I'd hoard my picks, I'd use cap space to take on bad expiring contracts (i.e. Tervainanen/Bickell, the Datsyuk trade, etc etc). I'd bide my time and try to bring in as many picks, prospects and youth as possible in the hope of getting lucky. If you cast a net wide enough, you just might manage to net some good talent. There's no guarantees obviously though... and I'm not sure ownership would ever sign off on a management style that is admittedly rather "laissez faire" about where we finish in the standings

Anyhow, I get off on that rabbit trail only so people *get* where I'm coming from and I don't come off as some wannabe dictator attempting to hijack the conversation

Back on point, to some extent I *get* the negativity... when you consider the quality and talent of the team back when we were contenders, it's difficult to be as upbeat about this squad. Throw in the lack of high end talent as obvious successors when the Sedins retire/decline and the iffy management and coaching and it becomes easy to see how there's so much negativity. Teams like Toronto and Edmonton have a lonnnnnnnnng ways to go yet but they have some pretty exciting young talent that makes them fun to watch.

We have *some*, but it's gonna be quite a leap for them to become as good as a McDavid/Matthews type, or even Sedin replacement level caliber. I really like guys like Bo and Sven, but as the saying goes "It is what it is".

So yeah. Maybe you're right and it balances out... maybe it doesn't though. Like I said, I understand the feelings of malaise, given we don't seem to have much to look forward to.

Like I said above, even though I was quoting your post, I was kinda picking a fight with both camps (both the excessively negative and the excessively positive). My apologies if it felt I was targetting you explicitly. :)

I haven't seen too many projections of people here but MS literally just posted how he anticipates us to finish significantly higher than the mid-sixties in points. Honestly, other than a few publications, I'm not sure anyone is *that* down on this team. And it's pretty hard to get that low of a total when there's points for OT/shootout losses and every game is decided (one way or another). But maybe I should just shaddup and clarify who exactly you're trying to address here...?

Oh, I agree it was a fairly entertaining game for sure! And it IS encouraging for sure... but I think it's also fair to wonder how many times we'll be able to climb out of that kind of hole with our iffy offense and facing stiffer competition. We'll see I guess

Ugh, given that a guy like Hamhuis signed for a tiny bit more (3.75M) I'm not too sure about that... my phone is low batt and I'm too lazy to dig up more applicable comparables but I think most would agree that $3.6M is pricey for a bottom pairing defenseman. Heck, Braydon Coburn gets something like that and he can play up in the lineup if necessary... don't think Sbisa can, really

Agreed. I never said otherwise!

Sure, but star players and good players tend to slump less often and have slumps shorter in duration. I think it's a pretty valid concern. And again, just because I'm more modest in my praise of the players doesn't mean I don't mostly agree with what you said.

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree then. But hey, I'll be around too and look forward to a few more good arguments before I keel over or get banned (I speak in jest) :naughty:

Man, I almost fell off my chair in surprise by the civil tone of your reply.:)

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
i think it's ok to let people enjoy these two wins, guys.

The problem isn't wanting to enjoy the wins. Wins are great. I enjoy wins too. :laugh:

The problem is all the shots taken and the boasting and "wanting people to eat crow." It's like some aren't able to just enjoy things for what they are without making sure that someone else "pays" for "being wrong." It's weird.

And it's absurdly premature. Nobody ever said we couldn't win the first 2 games of the season against garbage teams.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The problem isn't wanting to enjoy the wins. Wins are great. I enjoy wins too. :laugh:

The problem is all the shots taken and the boasting and "wanting people to eat crow." It's like some aren't able to just enjoy things for what they are without making sure that someone else "pays" for "being wrong." It's weird.

And it's absurdly premature. Nobody ever said we couldn't win the first 2 games of the season against garbage teams.

This should go both ways.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Exactly. :laugh:

It's great we've won two games. Quite a few things have gone right. I'm happy about it.

But the crowing and calling out of 'haters' and triumphant joy after 2 games against non-playoff teams (that we barely eked out with late tying goals in both cases) is just hilariously over-the-top.

Especially as it seems nobody was paying attention to or remembers last year, when literally exactly the same thing happened.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I don't know, after a year of negative bashing posts calling people idiots and morons, a little fun and happy atmosphere is welcome. I don't really care if it gets the hair up on people and like I said I think it will(I hope it will) go back to how it used to be with a more center atmosphere.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I don't know, after a year of negative bashing posts calling people idiots and morons, a little fun and happy atmosphere is welcome. I don't really care if it gets the hair up on people and like I said I think it will(I hope it will) go back to how it used to be with a more center atmosphere.

Or at least it WOULD be welcome, but instead of feeling happy a small subset of posters need to call other people morons (using passive sarcasm.) It's not better, just reversed.

When you refer to other posters as "experts" in scare quotes that's no better than calling them morons.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
What does this even mean? I said we should enjoy winning for the sake of winning not for "shoving it in people's faces." What is the other way? To enjoy losing? You make no sense, man. Stop making up things to feel offended about.

Man, you just can't answer without doing that can you.

It means, that those that do enjoy watching or have different views shouldn't be called idiots and morons....or simpletons. I bet you won't be all upset when we do start wining and the opposite happens.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Man, you just can't answer without doing that can you.

It means, that those that do enjoy watching or have different views shouldn't be called idiots and morons....or simpletons. I bet you won't be all upset when we do start wining and the opposite happens.

I have never once called you an idiot or a moron, that I can recall. If I did I was probably drunk and I'm sorry. :laugh:

I really don't get where this comes from, and where it's always coming from. You seem to perceive insults and attacks in every post that you read. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it's not benefiting you to be so sensitive.

The ONLY people in this thread or any today's threads who are insulting others, are the ones boasting and crowing about the (sneer) "experts" (sneer) who said the Canucks would suck this season. This isn't any kind of tone improvement. It's the same insulting *********, just from the other side.

I'm going to stop responding to you now, not because I think you're a moron or because I think I'm an expert, but because I literally don't know how to talk to you in a way that doesn't leave you feeling offended. Good night; have fun this season.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I have never once called you an idiot or a moron, that I can recall. If I did I was probably drunk and I'm sorry. :laugh:

I really don't get where this comes from, and where it's always coming from. You seem to perceive insults and attacks in every post that you read. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it's not benefiting you to be so sensitive.

The ONLY people in this thread or any today's threads who are insulting others, are the ones boasting and crowing about the (sneer) "experts" (sneer) who said the Canucks would suck this season. This isn't any kind of tone improvement. It's the same insulting *********, just from the other side.

I'm going to stop responding to you now, not because I think you're a moron or because I think I'm an expert, but because I literally don't know how to talk to you in a way that doesn't leave you feeling offended. Good night; have fun this season.

I wasn't actually referring to you in that post about the idiots. I was referring to the ones that do. I don't agree with either side acting like that and would like to see the forums return to what they were. Not sensitive, just tired of it.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

He's not wrong though.

If you care to look, you'll find numerous posts where in a very thinly veiled way,it is insinuated that anyone who thinks this way or that way (pick your darts) is an idiot or whatever and this usually results in piling on from the sidelines and that often just silences any opposition. Call me sensitive or whatever, I liken it to bullying.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Hmm I was looking for the post game thread but all I see is a bunch of posts about haters, hurt feelings and the psychology of Internet behaviour.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
What does this even mean? I said we should enjoy winning for the sake of winning not for "shoving it in people's faces." What is the other way? To enjoy losing? You make no sense, man. Stop making up things to feel offended about.

I think what he is saying is that the urge for some to enjoy some wins and some decent performances of some players stems from the overwhelming negativity on these boards where certain players and management are bashed with no quarter by keyboard authorities.

A good example...Sutter. I've read incessantly on here from some what a poor hockey player he is. I've never agreed. Thought he looked decent in the whole 20 games he played and brings some useful skills to the team. Does not take much time for him to show his value.

We all know the Canucks have issues and need major rebuilding. But the constant negativity here gets to be a bit much.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
brandon sutter gets the game winner against the ancestral homeland of calgary, then gets his revenge against carolina. maybe this year he will win us games against every place where sutters have been?

would be nice to beat san jose and LA again.

If he wins us games against everywhere where Sutters have played or coached... would we go undefeated?

We should get a Staal to do the same thing for us.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Exactly. :laugh:

It's great we've won two games. Quite a few things have gone right. I'm happy about it.

But the crowing and calling out of 'haters' and triumphant joy after 2 games against non-playoff teams (that we barely eked out with late tying goals in both cases) is just hilariously over-the-top.

Especially as it seems nobody was paying attention to or remembers last year, when literally exactly the same thing happened.

And tankers forget about two years ago.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I think this team resembles the team two years ago. Last year had no depth, injuries and too much youth. This year proper youth, more depth, injuries is the question mark. Sutter Granlund Gudbranson and even Dorsett are better players than given credit for. I still would say 30 to 40 percent chance of playoffs but competitive throughout the year. If they play 3rd in division they can win a round.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

this is like if we lost in game 7 of the first round and negative fans go see told you so

told us what.

we cheer win or lose u want matthews or mcdavid theres no getting along

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m a happy nucker - so glad we are aiming for that cup this year, Loui so strong. ;)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He's not wrong though.

If you care to look, you'll find numerous posts where in a very thinly veiled way,it is insinuated that anyone who thinks this way or that way (pick your darts) is an idiot or whatever and this usually results in piling on from the sidelines and that often just silences any opposition. Call me sensitive or whatever, I liken it to bullying.

Not at all. Only when they tell someone else that they're wrong without actually supporting why they think that person is wrong. And citing things that have zero correlation with winning hockey games doesn't count. That's like someone saying "no no, the earth is flat because I put a stick down on the ground and it didn't bend and because I don't fall over."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad