GDT: Canes vs Pens - back to the well once again

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think Jarvis has earned his.

Seems like hes Rods son and can do no wrong.

Why has Turbo and his 9 goals been demoted to the 4th line before Jarvis who has made some bad turnovers.
I think Rod bases decisions off of work rate and playing his way vs anything else including production. Jarvis overall has always been very strong in terms of decision making and puck protection while taking the puck to the net consistently, and consistently having a high motor with physical involvement. That’s the coaches way and Rod isn’t going to drop him because a few plays went wrong when he does everything else right. TT is a very smart and skilled player but the engine is not always high, he doesn’t always play north/south, is rarely physically engaged while still making the same risky passes in some situations that he always has.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think Rod bases decisions off of work rate and playing his way vs anything else including production. Jarvis overall has always been very strong in terms of decision making and puck protection while taking the puck to the net consistently, and consistently having a high motor with physical involvement. That’s the coaches way and Rod isn’t going to drop him because a few plays went wrong when he does everything else right. TT is a very smart and skilled player but the engine is not always high, he doesn’t always play north/south, is rarely physically engaged while still making the same risky passes in some situations that he always has.
I can see why people feel like this is just another way of saying "stubborn" or "playing favorites". But we all know that Rod believes deeply in the process, consistency, doing things the right way all the time, and results following. It's usually tough to argue given the generally positive results, but unless you win every game, there's always an argument to be had.

Personally, I'll keep trusting Rod's judgement.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The guy with 135 points in 200 games is probably more offensively gifted than the guy with 100 points in 300 games.

Obviously, opportunity plays a part in it, but still...
I think if Noesen played with Matthews and Marner for 160 games he’d have a lot more points.

They play a similar style
Bunting has the track record of complementing higher skill linemates. Noesen has a track record of not being a good enough skater to stay in the league anywhere else. If we had more natural finishers who could skate better, especially righty’s he’d still be in the minors.

He’s effective cheap labor.
Hes Effective cheap labor, with more points than Bunting.

Does that make Bunting ineffective expensive labor?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think if Noesen played with Matthews and Marner for 160 games he’d have a lot more points.

They play a similar style

Hes Effective cheap labor, with more points than Bunting.

Does that make Bunting ineffective expensive labor?
I’m not saying your wrong, only at this point of the season I don’t give a flying fornication about overall production and I feel Bunting at least early showed he can really compliment our skill guys. He can keep up with their plays better than Noesen, though I think it’s great to have them both. I didn’t care how either are being used today as long as they’re both healthy and in the lineup. By the time the playoffs come I feel like they’ll have asserted their case for being in the lineup wherever they are.

I also try to forget who makes what at this point as it has no relevance to Rod, nor should it. Production per dollar is an off-season debate imo.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I think those things have historically been true of Jarvis but not this season. outside the first few games where Jarvis wanted to limit test what he gained in strength over the off season.

After that I haven't seen him protect pucks or get to the middle of the ice and be dangerous.

Maybe the fancy stats disagree but I'd be curious how he looks compared to Turbo or Bunting who have spent more time demoted than Jarvis.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think those things have historically been true of Jarvis but not this season. outside the first few games where Jarvis wanted to limit test what he gained in strength over the off season.

After that I haven't seen him protect pucks or get to the middle of the ice and be dangerous.

Maybe the fancy stats disagree but I'd be curious how he looks compared to Turbo or Bunting who have spent more time demoted than Jarvis.
1700342962994.png

Turbo has no comparison

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Poor Walt...hope he has a crisis management incentive in his contract. Feels like he and Chatty are paying the price for the choices of others.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
TDA with the bad play along with the boards and orlov has to know to play conservatively after TDAs bad play. Instead anticipating the pens player goes along the boards and gets burned himself. Ooof

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad