GDT: Canes vs Pens - back to the well once again

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m not sure what you guys want Rod to do about the third pairing. He has three guys and two spots to work with. No one in the minors is a better fit and Rod tends to not do that anyways. He always prefer to work the guys he has through the problem. If they want it changed they have to do it through waivers or trades, when trades are really rare mid season. While being presumably expensive and we don’t do overpayments.

I wouldn’t change the top pair to fix the third, and we can’t avoid playing the third.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’m not sure what you guys want Rod to do about the third pairing. He has three guys and two spots to work with. No one in the minors is a better fit and Rod tends to not do that anyways. He always prefer to work the guys he has through the problem. If they want it changed they have to do it through waivers or trades, when trades are really rare mid season. While being presumably expensive and we don’t do overpayments.

I wouldn’t change the top pair to fix the third, and we can’t avoid playing the third.

As mentioned, the other two pairings aren't exactly world-beaters at the moment, so if it takes switching up those pairings to prevent the 7-77 line, it might be worth thinking about.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As mentioned, the other two pairings aren't exactly world-beaters at the moment, so if it takes switching up those pairings to prevent the 7-77 line, it might be worth thinking about.
The body of work with the other two pairings is generally proven to be good. I don’t blame him for thinking that the top four is still the strong suit and riding it out with them.

We’ve had tough times before under Rod. They’ve always worked out. I still have faith in the process even when I don’t agree with it all the time. And I often don’t.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What about Chat? Why not roll with him and Orlov for a while and see what happens.

The problem is that without TonyD in the lineup, Orlov takes his spot on the PP. And due to the handedness difference between TonyD and Orlov, some of our plays on the PP didn't work as crisply or effectively.

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The problem is that without TonyD in the lineup, Orlov takes his spot on the PP. And due to the handedness difference between TonyD and Orlov, some of our plays on the PP didn't work as crisply or effectively.
I think the biggest problem I have is not letting Orlov have a consistent spot as the man on pp2. I get it that Tony is great at it but we signed Orlov for a reason and once he settles into a unit he’d be very good himself. I don’t see why we can’t run a RD as a primary on one and a LD on the other. Gives them a completely different look, and we don’t have good one time shooters anyways.

I’d give Tony pp1, Orlov pp2 and let Burns get some rest. Or let Burns rove on pp2 with Orlov.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think the biggest problem I have is not letting Orlov have a consistent spot as the man on pp2. I get it that Tony is great at it but we signed Orlov for a reason and once he settles into a unit he’d be very good himself. I don’t see why we can’t run a RD as a primary on one and a LD on the other. Gives them a completely different look, and we don’t have good one time shooters anyways.

I’d give Tony pp1, Orlov pp2 and let Burns get some rest. Or let Burns rove on pp2 with Orlov.

Can you imagine the outrage if TonyD is playing on the PP and Burns isn't? The fanbase might go full "28 Days Later"

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I could see the reasoning why Bunting is on the 4th. While obviously much more offensively gifted than the rest of the 4th line, his style of play is better suited for the 4th compared to someone like Jarvis.
I don’t think he’s all that much more offensively gifted than Noesen.

Reactions: geehaad

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like the forward lines today. Whoever of the 7 top 6 forwards is least hot ends up on the fourth line when everyone is healthy. Rotate as necessary.

To add to my PP 1 TDA with PP2 Orlov thought I’d put Burns in the Necas spot on PP2 with Orlov playing catch with him, and have a playmaking lefty on the right side who’d also feed Burns for different angles. Burns down low in the bumper/back post spot as a righty would also make a lot of sense to me like Tro or Lindy did in the past.

Reactions: Chrispy

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If Rod truly believes that the problem is that everyone is working hard but some guys aren't trusting the process and are trying to do too much -- and I can see why he'd think that given the class of problems we're seeing and the way D guys in particular are getting burned -- then the clear way out of that is to play them through it until he's convinced that they just can't.

Again: it's still November.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If Rod truly believes that the problem is that everyone is working hard but some guys aren't trusting the process and are trying to do too much -- and I can see why he'd think that given the class of problems we're seeing and the way D guys in particular are getting burned -- then the clear way out of that is to play them through it until he's convinced that they just can't.

Again: it's still November.
And we’re still in the playoffs.

I think this team has had enough with regular season dominance and has turned its attention to post season success. We know we just need to make the playoffs, and the clustering is so tight we could struggle the first half and still end up with home ice with a good second half.

Work through the problems now since we aren’t falling back with the problems going on.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The guy with 135 points in 200 games is probably more offensively gifted than the guy with 100 points in 300 games.

Obviously, opportunity plays a part in it, but still...
Bunting has the track record of complementing higher skill linemates. Noesen has a track record of not being a good enough skater to stay in the league anywhere else. If we had more natural finishers who could skate better, especially righty’s he’d still be in the minors.

He’s effective cheap labor.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Bunting being on the fourth isn't a big deal. 4th line/3rd pair is where you figure out what the Canes are doing. Jarvis, KK, and Necas have all spent time on the 4th due to their play over the past 2 seasons as well.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The team is built on depth. If the coaches are committed to MSF, which is fine, a Top 6 forward is always going to play 4th line minutes.

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis won't last. Bunting will get a look sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad