Pre-Game Talk: Canes vs Jets - Oct 13 7:00pm CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I doubt how many previous Jets 2.0 rosters you've watched if you think a lineup like this is terrible. No Pavelec, no Thorburn, 4 lines with hockey players on them. Best lineup ever.

* Just as an aside, the opening night roster is NEVER the same roster 1 month in, 3 months, 6 months in. Injuries happen, opportunities happen and players play their way onto the team.

it should be better though. does that mean nothing to you? you're fine with mo using the team like an absolute idiot just because thor and pav are not in the lineup? :snakehead

he has the ability to ice a very competitive team if he wants to but he's obviously too stupid to do so.

its pretty obvious our PP is going to be just as terrible as it was last year. such poor decisions, i really don't see how people can be happy right now. but hey pavs is gone though right? everything is fine i guess

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I especially found what he said about Pavelec only stopping 1 out of 25 shots when he had clear view of the puck , DEAD LAST in the :shakeheadThe top goalie stopped 1 in 45 . Helle stopped 1 in 35 in his games last year :yo:

I don't think better goalies stop lower percentages of shots. did you perhaps mean getting beat by?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sometimes when people say offside they don't mean offhand. Laine is a LW, therefore RW is his offside

That's not how I've understood the term. TbH with the way that post was constrypucted I'm not convinced he was actually aware Laine shoots right.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I especially found what he said about Pavelec only stopping 1 out of 25 shots when he had clear view of the puck , DEAD LAST in the NHL :shakeheadThe top goalie stopped 1 in 45 . Helle stopped 1 in 35 in his games last year :yo:

Pavelec's puck tracking in traffic is pretty bad too - seems to lose the puck more than the average goalie. So it's not just those wide open ones...

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I didn't start the meme about Maurice's role in player evaluation and decisions, Chevy and Maurice did. There are plenty of interviews and articles from when Maurice was hired and when Thorbs and Stuart were signed that confirm this. You can contradict what each of them have said clearly and publicly, but you'd probably have to come up with more than your circumstantial evidence. Even now, Maurice has said that he and Chevy have been in sync about the process and the approach since he arrived, with a clear strategy to start with "structure" (which I interpret as veterans) and transition over to youth as they became ready.

My comment about Pavs was specifically about the nonsensical notion that it was the cheap owners that forced the management and coaches to keep Pavs in the line-up. If you'd like to cling to that notion, fine with me, though it seems even less plausible today than it has for the past few seasons. The cheapest option would have been to buy him out a few years ago and replace him with a cheap alternative. This is no defense of Pavs or Chevy or Maurice in regards to goaltending decisions, but a critique of the unsupported assertion that bad line-up choices are foisted on management by "Cheapman".

1) Find me the articles where Maurice was responsible for signing Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso specifically. In the past, you've provided a number of quotes where Maurice was going to be involved in the evaluation of the team. What coach isn't? You took those quotes and interpretted them to mean that not only had he assumed a executive/coach role like Patrick Roy where he was now responsible for player contracts but that coincidentally he was only responsible for the bad players contracts. Parsing generic quotes and then attributing them to specific decisions is the definition of circumstantial evidence. In this case, the circumstances don't add up.

2) I don't think I've ever said that Chipman was responsible for foisting Pavelec on the Jets. is this even a meme? Who is saying it? Most of the criticism has been about Chevy signing that ridiculous deal and then not doing anything about it for 4 years... even going as far as sticking our noses in it by proudly proclaiming Pavelec the starter for the following season each spring. Even today on H&L, when asked if Pavelec contract was a mistake, he reiterated the ridiculous notion that Pavelec was the team MVP in year one. The Cheapman meme started with TNSEs attempt to bring in a $3.50 convenience fee for the convenience of printing our own tickets. It's not likely to die soon.

Last edited:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
That's not how I've understood the term. TbH with the way that post was constrypucted I'm not convinced he was actually aware Laine shoots right.

it's better to be charitable in your interpretation of people's comments, especially online

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Pavelec's puck tracking in traffic is pretty bad too - seems to lose the puck more than the average goalie. So it's not just those wide open ones...
I agree but his teamates might give him a break thinking maybe he couldn't see the puck , it's those clear view shots that beat a goalie that the team thinks ,come on stop a puck you sieve . :laugh:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
it should be better though. does that mean nothing to you? you're fine with mo using the team like an absolute idiot just because thor and pav are not in the lineup? :snakehead

he has the ability to ice a very competitive team if he wants to but he's obviously too stupid to do so.

its pretty obvious our PP is going to be just as terrible as it was last year. such poor decisions, i really don't see how people can be happy right now. but hey pavs is gone though right? everything is fine i guess

Oh do please tell us what brilliant changes you would make that will make us astronomically better, :popcorn:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
yes I'm obviously aware which way laine shoots. i meant what i said

He looked pretty good at RW today and monday. It's really only in the D zone anyway. They criss cross quite a bit on the rush and they switch sides for O zone faceoffs

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe they actually thought Pavelec was better than he was all these years and it finally dawned on them that he was the league's worst goalie after all. I mean if you want to take management at their word, he was just coming into his own and they were pretty excited about having him as the starter just last year.

So is improving goaltending within the first 5 years counterproductive to draft-and-develop? I guess better team = worse picks, and that does makes the rebuild more difficult.

But was it a soft tank all along? Because that's not the impression I got if I were taking management at their word...

That's a neat little non sequitur - wrong about Pavelec being sent down means wrong about the entire approach to team building? The misreading was because no one believed the Jets would make the right choice based on their history of making the wrong choices.

It's possible that management/coaching have evolved in their understanding of the game. Perhaps they have invested in better metrics and statistical packages that have enhanced their ability to make better decisions. I personally don't have much of an issue with what they have done this summer. It seems that they look like they will walk the talk with playing the best players for the most part.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

Post a better lineup utilizing what is available? I'm curious, you're obviously a brilliant hockey mind

The only thing I can possibly come up with is Morrissey over Myers on the PP, which I believe will happen eventually.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is the fastest team the Jets have ever iced. I didn't realize how fast Matthias actually is. He might even be faster than Wheeler. All the rookies we added have speed. Maurice is trying to get them all to play with speed. It might take time but I can't wait to see them try :popcorn:

Matthias also getting a bit of a bad rap in other areas. He was 2nd in CF% on a terrible possession team in Colorado also had a great P/60 at 1.97. That would have placed him 3rd on the Jets behind Scheifele and Wheeler.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets Cap Hit Rank since 2011-12:

2011-12: 25th
2012-13: 20th
2013-14: 19th
2014-15: 25th
2015-16: 30th
2016-17: 28th

If Trouba were to sign a deal with a $5M AAV, that would take the Jets from 28th to 23rd in terms of cap hit.

Give it time. Over the next few seasons if all goes well Ehlers, Laine and Connor will start taking big aggressive bites out of any available cap space.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Love Morrissey choosing #44. Great opportunity to re-purpose the Bogo Jersey.

Yeah, just don't wear it going in to the US!:sarcasm:

Have a good feeling about Connor, think he's going to more than replace Ladd's goals!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Okay
Going to be positive going into the year.
Many changes that needed to be made are now on place.
Good on this org for giving Hutch/Helle a real opportunity.
Excite to see Laine.
1 more sleep

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay
Going to be positive going into the year.
Many changes that needed to be made are now on place.
Good on this org for giving Hutch/Helle a real opportunity.
Excite to see Laine.
1 more sleep

That's the spirit. Pretty much everything that people wanted to happen has. And once we get some resolution on the Trouba front Stu will hopefully be #7-8.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
myy god what a terrible lineup this is

absolutely pathetic having stafford and matthias on a 2nd "shutdown" line....cringe

myers over postma,enstrom, Jmo on the PP....cringe

lowry on the PP and at 4C over burmi.....cringe

dano not even on the team..... cringeeee

laine on his offside with another rookie.......cringe

jets will be a lottery team again if this is how muarice is gonna have the lineup. if pavs was still here they'd be dead last 100% sure of it.

Other than the ridiculous exaggeration of the "dead last" comment at the end, I agree with several of your critiques, portamoral. Although I think overall the positive moves the Jets made this year far outweigh the bad ones.

On a general note though, you are totally being a wet blanket here. Most of us are pretty excited for the team this year.

Of course you're welcome to your opinion. But you shouldn't be surprised by the reaction. If you're going to come in here and crap all over the team, on the eve of the home opener, expect folks not to like it. If you wanted to have a more civil debate, you probably could have approached it differently. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad