GDT: Canes vs Devils at noonish - news to me, too

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I missed the game due to work, but a win is a win, so I'm not too broken up about it.

I do have two questions, though.

1) How did Kuznetsov look?

2) Is Jaccob Slavin even human?

1) Kuzy hasn’t changed at all with the puck. He immediately is the best on the team with it. His first or second shift the fourth line held the zone an awkward length of time with him leading the way. He sees the pass seams and hits them way quicker than any other player we have. He’s great for the pp but they don’t have a place for him yet so it was disjointed with some close but not quite passes. He also gets gassed super quick, he’s out of shape.

If he shows up to play every night and can get into game shape we’re a different and more dangerous team. At times it was night and day from before.

This is a good attempt at changing the offense. He can turn nothing into something quick. Looking forward to adding Jake to it. I’d say because he’s playing center that Kuzy could do more to change our offense than Jake might. Jake is a finisher, Kuzy can change the flow of the break out.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
1) Kuzy hasn’t changed at all with the puck. He immediately is the best on the team with it. His first or second shift the fourth line held the zone an awkward length of time with him leading the way. He sees the pass seams and hits them way quicker than any other player we have. He’s great for the pp but they don’t have a place for him yet so it was disjointed with some close but not quite passes. He also gets gassed super quick, he’s out of shape.

If he shows up to play every night and can get into game shape we’re a different and more dangerous team. At times it was night and day from before.

This is a good attempt at changing the offense. He can turn nothing into something quick. Looking forward to adding Jake to it. I’d say because he’s playing center that Kuzy could do more to change our offense than Jake might. Jake is a finisher, Kuzy can change the flow of the break out.

Even before he gets in shape his value as a “pivot” was obvious. A couple of perfect passes in the neutral zone to lead to carry-in entries that every other player on the team would’ve dumped in. Agreed on the PP as well, it didn’t click but that seemed more a function of him being a Cane for 24 hours. I could see him making a difference there even if he never gets his legs back enough to play more than 13-14 min per night.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This card aligns with what I saw Aho-svetch were meh but Necas and others were great:

1710034057106.jpeg

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I have no idea what will happen with Kuznetsov but the potential is still there. Just go read his former teammates quotes in the player profile section from his wiki page.
Evgeny Kuznetsov - Wikipedia

He's only 31. I think he probably hasn't been pushed In a long time. In his own words this is his last chance and he probably landed in one of, if not the best organizations to rehabilitate himself and his game.

However, that doesn't mean shit if he doesn't seize the opportunity. Hopefully he does. Would turn out to be one hell of an addition.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think you're the only one who thought the contact was in the blue in that replay.

Wouldn't matter anyway, he was also pushed in

Unless I misheard, Dave Jackson explicitly said at the start of the 3rd that that was the reasoning.

It didn’t confirm the call on the ice though. “The call on the ice stands” wasn’t confirmed but not enough evidence to overturn.

How could you tell. His body blocked out the skate view. I still think skates were not in the blue.

Of course we were offside.

It’s close for. Maybe half a skate half a skate out.

My final take after carefully looking at the overhead shot as well as the regular one in slow motion several times:

Noesen cuts across and the overhead shot shows that his left skate contacts Daws right skate just before it completely exits the crease. I'm with CanesUltimate, Daws skate could have even been partially out (I'm assuming the red outline is considered part of the crease). Doesn't seem to impact Daws much at all at that point. [Just curious; did you guys who don't think Daws skate was at least partially still in the crease at that point see the slo-mo replays of the overhead view?]

Daws glides completely out of the crease at which point Noesen makes a legit attempt to cut away from him but is nudged by the defenseman into Daws.

This season the league stated that calls wouldn't be overturned unless the evidence was overwhelming. Given that stance, I think the fact that the initial point of contact was with Daws skate while it was still "in the crease" gave Toronto an excuse to not overturn the call on the ice. Not because it was the Canes, but in support of the refs and the leagues earlier proclamation discouraging challenges.

Don't get me wrong, I think the interference call was a bad one to begin with, just not one that Toronto was necessarily going to overrule. I suspect that if the call on the ice had been "good goal", and Jersey challenged, Toronto would have opted not to overturn that call, either. And I hope the play was a learning experience for our review guys, who should have noted that the Canes were offside on the entry and told Rod not to challenge the interference and take the 5-on-3 instead.

Reactions: hockeynjune

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018

Completely agree…. Like eerie I was thinking several of the same things you wrote, especially about how much quicker he executes stuff without our typical “aaaand 1 Mississippi” delay while we process and then execute… which usually is the difference between success and getting stuff blocked or enough time to react and close down or break up etc…

but you wrote them more concisely and better than I could articulate…. Not sure what that says that we saw so much of the same things? :)

If he gets in shape and is engaged and plays with a level of commitment all game like Rod gets the other guys to buy in and do, this could be downright giggle inducing to watch as a Canes fan.. with essentially zero practice time in our systems, he just went out there and played and a few times he just obviously stood out in a good way for his sheer talent….

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad